Confirmed with Link: TOR sign RD Zach Bogosian [1 year, 1M]

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Why he's that good? He'll be our #6. If that's "that good"...my bad. He was brought in to play 3rd pairing right side imo. Playing as high as he wants and playing top four and all that is Dubas leaving the door open to competition. But he was brought in to play. That much is clear. His style is desperately needed and Dubas along with most of Leafs nation has noticed his style is everything we have been lacking. Dubas noted Dallas signing Pavelski, Perry, Sekara in comparison to Thornton,Simmonds,Bogosian. He fully intends for Bogo to play. Exactly what am I basing what Dubas said on? Umm...I guess what Dubas said is what I'm basing it on. Bogosian has averaged 21 minutes of ice time over the course of his fairly lengthy career. Those are top 4 minutes... although I do think he'll be 3rd pairing (but my point is that he's playing, not a #7, that's it that's all). Hes had injuries, and has been scratched due to contract on a non-competitive team. That has a lot to due with a 5+ million contract on a team going nowhere, than it has with inability to play the game. He's playing. That's all I've been saying.

I mean your reasoning for him being good is Bogosian has played 21 mins a game over his career? Thats like saying Thornton could be a top-6 C because he used to score more than a point per game (except that's a better argument because TOI is doo doo).

Bogosian hasnt been above average in years, he cant stay healthy, and really hasnt been overly good in his entire career. Him being a full-time player is fine I guess, a good one is a stretch, but a top-4 guy would be disappointing unless he magically learned how to play good hockey at the age of 30.

Last edited:
Reactions: phillipmike

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
i love the off season

another couple of weeks and Bogo will be a lock to play on our 1st pair
I doubt it, training camp will sort out the lines. Bongo will have chance I guess, but there are few locks on the team.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Bogosian will anchor the PK and provide some much needed relief to Rielly. I actually want to see him with Marincin - have MM attack transitions and Bogo catch players with their heads down trying to get away from MM's reach.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
I mean your reasoning for him being good is Bogosian has played 21 mins a game over his career? Thats like saying Thornton could be a top-6 C because he used to score more than a point per game (except that's a better argument because TOI is doo doo).

Bogosian hasnt been above average in years, he cant stay healthy, and really hasnt been overly good in his entire career. Him being a full-time player is fine I guess, a good one is a stretch, but a top-4 guy would be disappointing unless he magically learned how to play good hockey at the age of 30.

I didn't say top 4, Dubas did. I said, and I'll say it again, he's playing. A guy who averages 21 minutes a game over a 10+ year career is usually capable of playing in an NHL lineup, no? Unless you have some inside information that no other NHL coach has figured out yet. Must just be a bunch of silly ninnies. Lucky for him nobody has truly figured out he shouldn't be an NHL player. You randomly mention Thornton and used the words "used to". Not sure why he was brought up, or why you would deflect to the past tense...when that only helps Bogosian and his case. Seeing as he just played an average of 18 minutes a night, mere months ago, on the team that won the Stanley Cup....thank god they didn't figure out how bad he was! They definitely dodged a bullet there, eh Morgs. But Bogo used to average mid 20s a night, yeah those coaches couldn't figure out how bad he was either, shucks. But no I'm not saying "used to be", Bogo is the same age as Brodie, he's not a dinosaur. Spent time next to Hedman on the way to the cup...Cooper must have done that cuz he's clueless, thank goodness the hockey gods were looking out for him and it all worked out. Your insight on this matter is incredible and I'm glad I've walked away with such knowledge. I'll be sure to @ you when Bogo is in the starting lineup opening night my friend. We'll have to agree to disagree, puck drop will show which one of us knows what we're talking about
Side note: love that you showed some nonsensical analytics chart to try and prove your point, when that's the exact thinking that led us to not even making the playoffs this year. Grit and character needed added. Even Dubas figured that out. However, the funniest part to me is that fancy chart lists Bogo as 3rd pair haha oh my

Last edited:

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I didn't say top 4, Dubas did. I said, and I'll say it again, he's playing. A guy who averages 21 minutes a game over a 10+ year career is usually capable of playing in an NHL lineup, no? Unless you have some inside information that no other NHL coach has figured out yet. Must just be a bunch of silly ninnies. Lucky for him nobody has truly figured out he shouldn't be an NHL player. You randomly mention Thornton and used the words "used to". Not sure why he was brought up, or why you would deflect to the past tense...when that only helps Bogosian and his case. Seeing as he just played an average of 18 minutes a night, mere months ago, on the team that won the Stanley Cup....thank god they didn't figure out how bad he was! They definitely dodged a bullet there, eh Morgs. But Bogo used to average mid 20s a night, yeah those coaches couldn't figure out how bad he was either, shucks. But no I'm not saying "used to be", Bogo is the same age as Brodie, he's not a dinosaur. Spent time next to Hedman on the way to the cup...Cooper must have done that cuz he's clueless, thank goodness the hockey gods were looking out for him and it all worked out. Your insight on this matter is incredible and I'm glad I've walked away with such knowledge. I'll be sure to @ you when Bogo is in the starting lineup opening night my friend. We'll have to agree to disagree, puck drop will show which one of us knows what we're talking about
Side note: love that you showed some nonsensical analytics chart to try and prove your point, when that's the exact thinking that led us to not even making the playoffs this year. Grit and character needed added. Even Dubas figured that out. However, the funniest part to me is that fancy chart lists Bogo as 3rd pair haha oh my

@ me all you want. I've never once said he cant be a full-time player, I keep saying he probably shouldnt be.

You keep changing your argument. I'm just gonna stop messaging now, we'll agree to disagree.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
@ me all you want. I've never once said he cant be a full-time player, I keep saying he probably shouldnt be.

You keep changing your argument. I'm just gonna stop messaging now, we'll agree to disagree.
My argument was, and has been, the entire time, that he was brought in to play in the top 6. Read back. I said DUBAS mentioned him being on the PK and competing for a top 4 spot. You said Dubas had to say that about his new player and tried to spin my argument into him being top 4 for some reason after that. All I said was that that's not something you say about a #7. My entire argument has been that HE WILL PLAY. Nothing more, nothing less

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I definitely like Bogo as 3rd pairing. Tough to say how much potential he has above that, his one good season was five years ago.. The Sabres have been such a crappy team it has proven hard for any defenseman to shine but not sure how much better a defensive environment the Leafs are. The new team didn't do anything much for Ceci, and his ES offense died as well but every change in usage for any player is a reset opportunity.

Nothing in the last couple of seasons suggests he could push Holl down to 3rd pair but I don't think it would leave a crater in the D if Brodie or Holl missed a few games either. The injury history suggests he is a 65 game guy which I think they have the depth now to deal with.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I definitely like Bogo as 3rd pairing. Tough to say how much potential he has above that, his one good season was five years ago.. The Sabres have been such a crappy team it has proven hard for any defenseman to shine but not sure how much better a defensive environment the Leafs are. The new team didn't do anything much for Ceci, and his ES offense died as well but every change in usage is a reset opportunity.

Nothing in the last couple of seasons suggests he could push Holl down to 3rd pair but I don't think it would leave a crater in the D if Brodie or Holl missed a few games either. The injury history suggests he is a 65 game guy which I think they have the depth now to easily deal with.
Well said. This isn't like last season where one injury would force the Leafs to either play a rookie, or Marincin (shudders). NHL quality depth is very important.

Reactions: aingefan

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
My argument was, and has been, the entire time, that he was brought in to play in the top 6. Read back. I said DUBAS mentioned him being on the PK and competing for a top 4 spot. You said Dubas had to say that about his new player and tried to spin my argument into him being top 4 for some reason after that. All I said was that that's not something you say about a #7. My entire argument has been that HE WILL PLAY. Nothing more, nothing less
right now we have Rielly/Muzzin/Brodie in our top 4

with Holl/Lehtonen/Bogo/Dermott/Sandin/Lilly looking to earn one of the other 3 spots

the way it looks now unless the 2 kids severely out play the older guys or Lehtonen is a complete dud they'll be in the minors at least to start the season which still leaves 4 guys for 3 spots

Holl and Dermott were regulars last year and Lehtonen just like Bogo didn't sign with us to play in the minors and so it's not it's carved in stone any of the bottom end guys will be a fixture in the lineup .

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Maybe once a game he sends off a pass that makes my eyes go wide and I grab my hair. Tonights game he passed it behind... I think Engvall... clear across the neutral zone and I thought for sure it was going to end up in an odd man rush the wrong way.

Any way, overall he’s a very good bottom pairing guy. Terrific signing. Terrific value.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
If he plays any more TOI than he has the last 5 games, he'll be in over his head. You can see the mental fatigue later in games when he's overused however he's been a fantastic signing thus far and has played his role admirably.

I wouldn't mind him getting a day off so Lilly can get some ice time to keep Bogocop fresh.

Last edited:

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
Bogo is solid. This was quietly his best game of the season.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
What a pass to 94 who seemed to mess himself up with the puck. Had it been Matty, it would have been in the vack of the net and we'd be talking more about it tonight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad