Confirmed with Link: TOR re-sign Joey Anderson [3 years, 750K AAV]

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Wishing for him to be the second best forward on the team is quite a wish
That would be quite the wish. Except I didn't mention that I expect him to be as good as any of Matthews/Marner/Tavares/Nylander for whatever order you wish to put them in.

If you actually think Hyman is the 2nd best forward on the team I do not know how to help you.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Lol. Where is Engvall?
Too much in the cap to be called up?

Hasn't Anderson played the same amount of NHL games. They are both just as productive.

Who can Leafs fit under the cap easier?

Engvall 1.075m + 175k (Engvall overage) or Anderson @ 750k +175k (Engvall overage)

Last edited:

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Lol. Where is Engvall?

He can make the team but someone will have to be left off

Assuming Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander, Hyman, Kerfoot, Mikheyev, Simmonds, Thornton are locks that leaves 3 spots left.

There's enough cap for 3 of Engvall, Barabanov, Vesey, Spezza, Robertson, Anderson, Boyd.

Boyd, Anderson, Robertson are probably left off the roster unless they surprise in camp. They all have 2-way contracts and are the youngest.

So if that plays out there's 3 spots left with only 4 contenders left - Engvall, Barabanov, Vesey, Spezza.

This is where it gets interesting.

Personally I think Engvall and Barabanov are better then Spezza but Spezza seems to be a lock based on his reputation, being a discounted veteran, even though Engvall and Barabanov are better imo. The idea that Spezza is better then Engvall is insane to me but regardless Spezza will be on the team.

So now there's 2 spots left with Barabanov, Engvall and Vesey left.

I'd prefer all 3 on the team with Spezza as the 13th forward but we don't have enough cap space so one will have to be left off.

Last edited:
Reactions: qqaz

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Too much in the cap to be called up?

Hasn't Anderson played the same amount of NHL games. They are both just as productive.

Who can Leafs fit under the cap easier?

Engvall 1.075m + 175k (Engvall overage) or Anderson @ 750k +175k (Engvall overage)
We can fit Engvall in the cap with a 21 man roster, no problem.
Engvall's speed + PK ability will be used in the bottom 6.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Love the term. Thought we’d be fortunate to get him signed for two years.

With this (and the Hutchinson signing out of nowhere) looks like Leafs are set for next season. Just tell us where and when NHL.

Have to wonder if its going to be February now for the start of the season, and that games will be played in a bubble initially. Don't expect any significant improvements on the COVID from for at least another 2 or 3 months.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
That would be quite the wish. Except I didn't mention that I expect him to be as good as any of Matthews/Marner/Tavares/Nylander for whatever order you wish to put them in.

If you actually think Hyman is the 2nd best forward on the team I do not know how to help you.
He does his job better than the other forward.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
We can fit Engvall in the cap with a 21 man roster, no problem.
Engvall's speed + PK ability will be used in the bottom 6.

yea but it affects how much cap space you accrue. At the least, save for a revelatory camp from him, Engvall will be sent down on non-game days, and brought up only on games he is expected to play. He is relatively expensive and waivers exempt.

Anderson on the other hand is cheap enough to sit on the roster on non-game days, and be the 13th forward/scratch on days when someone like Engvall draws into the lineup.

one of Anderson’s selling points is his PK ability as well.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
You have to give Dubas credit for this offseason. Maybe no home run swing but plenty of quality at-bats including this signing. It's likely Anderson is a full time NHLer making the league minimum for at least the final two years. Kapanen trade also looks like an outright steal given better players than Kapanen are currently available as UFAs.

A homerun swing wasn't required this time

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Are we more excited about the Andreas Johnsson for Joey Anderson trade outcome or the difference in their contract amounts?

Is it more about who is the better impactful NHL player now or in the future, or who comes at the better cap price due to our cap management issues?

Johnsson (currently 25) broke into the NHLer as full timer at age 23 posting 73 games 20 goals 23 assists 43 points 32 pims 14 +/- in 2018-19.

Joey Andersen is currently 22 and will be entering that similar age window for comparison purposes at the same age.

Reactions: leaferbeliever

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don't get it, why is this being declared an absolute steal? We don't even know what this player is, he has 52 games played in the NHL. He could be a career AHL'er for all we know at this point in time.

The good news is he's going to be cheap. The question of whether he'll be good is still up in the air.

Reactions: nuck

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Are we more excited about the Andreas Johnsson for Joey Anderson trade outcome or the difference in their contract amounts?

Is it more about who is the better impactful NHL player now or in the future, or who comes at the better cap price due to our cap management issues?

Johnsson (currently 25) broke into the NHLer as full timer at age 23 posting 73 games 20 goals 23 assists 43 points 32 pims 14 +/- in 2018-19.

Joey Andersen is currently 22 and will be entering that similar age window for comparison purposes at the same age.

Fairly indifferent to Anderson without having seen him play for the Leafs. The return on Johnsson was largely the freed up cap space, which partially allowed them to pursue those half dozen or so cheap UFAs.

It was reported that there was significant interest in Johnsson too. So if the choices were something like Anderson or a 2nd round pick, well there's something to think about.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Fairly indifferent to Anderson without having seen him play for the Leafs. The return on Johnsson was largely the freed up cap space, which partially allowed them to pursue those half dozen or so cheap UFAs.

It was reported that there was significant interest in Johnsson too. So if the choices were something like Anderson or a 2nd round pick, well there's something to think about.

Joey Andersen was originally a 3rd round pick #73 overall in 2016.

So if the return for Johnsson was a mid 3rd rounder or Andersen, then I suppose the strategy was more about getting a prospect at the similar level only 4 years further along in his development who can possibly contribute at some level sooner rather than later. The pick while returning more free cap space recapture now, but that prospect in 4 years time if successful would be outside the current compete window for the Leafs.

I can see Andersen contributing as a similarly styled player to departed Dmytro Timashov as that 4th line energy player for the same cap hit $700k league minimum.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I think the excitment for Anderson is the possibility that he could be the next Hyman who is a fan fav and a type we need more than the departed Johnsson.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

The return was largely getting a quality piece in return for Johnsson. The cap space helped, but he is not moved if the Leafs were not getting something like Anderson in return.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
yea but it affects how much cap space you accrue. At the least, save for a revelatory camp from him, Engvall will be sent down on non-game days, and brought up only on games he is expected to play. He is relatively expensive and waivers exempt.

Anderson on the other hand is cheap enough to sit on the roster on non-game days, and be the 13th forward/scratch on days when someone like Engvall draws into the lineup.

one of Anderson’s selling points is his PK ability as well.
The paper transactions I understand. But he is going to play.

Reactions: BoredBrandonPridham

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Was thinking the exact same thing. Most of us never even heard of this guy before they traded for him and now he's a steal with top 2 line Hyman potential. Considering he won't even see 10 minutes a game as a 4th liner I'd cool the hype a little

To be fair, nobody had ever heard of Hyman before he became top 2 line Hyman.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Was thinking the exact same thing. Most of us never even heard of this guy before they traded for him and now he's a steal with top 2 line Hyman potential. Considering he won't even see 10 minutes a game as a 4th liner I'd cool the hype a little

For those of us that consider the WJC (world junior) tournament that starts boxing day each year as among the best times for hockey fans and junior hockey junkies, they would know who Joey Andersen is .. :)

Andersen was named captain of team USA in 2018-19 tournament and a teammate of Leafs Joseph Woll.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
The paper transactions I understand. But he is going to play.

Yea those were all paper transactions. He'll probably play some games, but like mentioned I think he'll be on a rotation. To get out of an AHL rotation he'll have to establish himself as being a tier above players like Anderson and personally I don't think that will happen. Just my prediction, though.

Reactions: Eb

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018

Johnsson is about to turn 26, Johnsson was 24 for the majority of the season you mentioned, and Anderson just turned 22 this summer. Even at the end of Anderson's coming season, Johnsson would have still been in the AHL.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
The problem with the Andreas Johnsson comparison is that Andreas put up his 20 goal season playing major minutes with Auston Matthews and William Nylander. He also got a good amount of PP time as well... Joey Anderson will likely never get those opportunities and will probably slot into a bottom 6 role.

A lot of guys could score 20 goals playing on the Matthews line. Vesey scoreD 17, 17 and 16 goals playing for the Rangers. He could score 20 if his linemates were Matthews and Marner. Mikeyhev could probably do it. Hyman can do it. Hell, 32 year old, shadow of his former self, Wayne Simmonds could probably push for it.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
The return was largely getting a quality piece in return for Johnsson. The cap space helped, but he is not moved if the Leafs were not getting something like Anderson in return.
Anderson is far from a quality piece.

Hes an average prospect/young player who plays a simple but valuable game that is lacking in the leafs bottom 6. He will be a 25-40 point player hopefully for 2/3 seasons of his deal with good tenacity and puck retrieval skills

He wont be out producing or out valuing AJs contributions over the next 3 years of their respective deals.

The primary reasoning behind that trade was cap savings. Doubt we would have dealt AJ for Anderson if their had been no covid cap crunch and the cap was at 85M like projected.

Dubas hands were tied a bit but the deal was probably his weakest move of the offseason (which to be fair was very good for the most part). Getting him at 750k for 3 years though is a potentially great move if anderson becomes a regular in the bottom 6 moving forward

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Hes an average prospect/young player who plays a simple but valuable game that is lacking in the leafs bottom 6. He will be a 25-40 point player hopefully for 2/3 seasons of his deal with good tenacity and puck retrieval skills

He wont be out producing or out valuing AJs contributions over the next 3 years of their respective deals.

The primary reasoning behind that trade was cap savings. Doubt we would have dealt AJ for Anderson if their had been no covid cap crunch and the cap was at 85M like projected.

Dubas hands were tied a bit but the deal was probably his weakest move of the offseason (which to be fair was very good for the most part). Getting him at 750k for 3 years though is a potentially great move if anderson becomes a regular in the bottom 6 moving forward

Yeah I don't see a value comparison. If they were remotely close NJ wouldn't be eating Mango's salary, they would just keep Joey and spend the extra $2M somewhere else. He might have a middle 6 upside though as he scored very well in the AHL and got 34 games with the Devils as a 20 year old. Mess used Tyma as a comp but Joey has shown a lot more advanced offenses earlier and is seasoned enough he could show some of that upside fairly soon. This was a good deal for a cap crunched team to make right now, especially if the Russians fill the void of AJs absence. If Anderson does have another level he is something they don't have much of in the system which is big.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011

It might just come down to semantics but a lot of what you described sounds like a quality piece to me. I mean, it's relative, I think he's a quality piece relative to what Johnsson is, but Johnsson has been a replacement-level side-car on some lines with elite forward pairs. If Johnsson is who Johnsson was in 2019-20, then Anderson is a quality return for that. Especially given the contract he signed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad