Confirmed with Link: TOR re-sign Joey Anderson [3 years, 750K AAV]

The Nic

Jul 26, 2009
Four contract spots left... I wouldn't be shocked, if we added another minimum league signing or two.
Me too. Probably some quality AHL type players on 2 way deals. Are all the players loaned to teams in Europe coming back for the AHL season? If not, the Marlies will need some players.

Mentat

Sep 19, 2020
Worst case scenario, he´s an AHLer.
Best case scenario, he´ll be a "Hyman type" player and with his AAV, there is nothing to dislike with this signing.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Damn, I like the two-way aspect of it too. If this guy somehow really turns heads and cracks the opening roster then he can be bounced between the Marlies and the Leafs to save some cap space. It'll also be easier to taxi squad him with that low cap hit.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Call me pesemistic but this does not look like a deal a player who has confidence in himself or is willing to bet on himself signs. Be interesting to know what other players have signed a similar deal.

call me realistic but it looks like a deal that someone signs when they know they have a couple more years of development before cracking a full time NHL roster, believes in the development system they are joining, and wants to mitigate financial risk during a very uncertain time.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Why Kyle Dubas believes in Maple Leafs’ Joey Anderson - Sportsnet.ca

Dubas has overstuffed the bottom of his forward group with players of disparate development stages and fame levels making under $2 million.

Anderson will arrive at camp to battle Wayne Simmonds, Jimmy Vesey, Nick Robertson, Jason Spezza, Joe Thornton, Travis Boyd, Pierre Engvall, Alexander Barabanov, Denis Malgin, Nic Petan and Egor Korshkov for coach Sheldon Keefe’s attention.

On any healthy night, fewer than half of them will wedge into the lineup. The rest will be Marlies or scratches vacillating between the border of Inspiration and Frustration.

“We need to be as deep a team as possible if we're going to reach the potential that we set,” Dubas said. “The battles in training camp and early in the season will be good to follow, and we're anxious to see how these guys compete against each other. I think it really starts now with what they're doing with their off-season, training and how they're working to set themselves up for a great camp.”

In Anderson, Dubas sees a serial winner who potted the 2017 Frozen Four championship-winning goal for his local Minnesota-Duluth Bulldogs and played alongside Leafs Joseph Woll and, briefly, Auston Matthews in the U.S. national program. He sees a world junior champ and a young man who scored eight times in the NHL in limited minutes without being a cog in an offensive machine.

The exec also sees in Anderson the same thing he sees in new recruits Thornton, Simmonds and Vesey -- a motivated competitor with something to prove.

“Exactly that,” says Anderson, wearing the chip on his shoulder like a badge. “I'm gonna come in and try to show the coaching staff and management what makes me tick as a player."

“If I can just consistently bring it every day with my battle level, the little details, bearing down on plays, I think I can contribute on that third, fourth line. I've had some experience penalty-killing with New Jersey, and I'm pretty confident with my abilities to do that, so if they need me to do any of that, I’m just ready for whatever they need from me.”

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Why Kyle Dubas believes in Maple Leafs’ Joey Anderson - Sportsnet.ca

Dubas has overstuffed the bottom of his forward group with players of disparate development stages and fame levels making under $2 million.

Anderson will arrive at camp to battle Wayne Simmonds, Jimmy Vesey, Nick Robertson, Jason Spezza, Joe Thornton, Travis Boyd, Pierre Engvall, Alexander Barabanov, Denis Malgin, Nic Petan and Egor Korshkov for coach Sheldon Keefe’s attention.

On any healthy night, fewer than half of them will wedge into the lineup. The rest will be Marlies or scratches vacillating between the border of Inspiration and Frustration.

“We need to be as deep a team as possible if we're going to reach the potential that we set,” Dubas said. “The battles in training camp and early in the season will be good to follow, and we're anxious to see how these guys compete against each other. I think it really starts now with what they're doing with their off-season, training and how they're working to set themselves up for a great camp.”

In Anderson, Dubas sees a serial winner who potted the 2017 Frozen Four championship-winning goal for his local Minnesota-Duluth Bulldogs and played alongside Leafs Joseph Woll and, briefly, Auston Matthews in the U.S. national program. He sees a world junior champ and a young man who scored eight times in the NHL in limited minutes without being a cog in an offensive machine.

The exec also sees in Anderson the same thing he sees in new recruits Thornton, Simmonds and Vesey -- a motivated competitor with something to prove.

“Exactly that,” says Anderson, wearing the chip on his shoulder like a badge. “I'm gonna come in and try to show the coaching staff and management what makes me tick as a player."

“If I can just consistently bring it every day with my battle level, the little details, bearing down on plays, I think I can contribute on that third, fourth line. I've had some experience penalty-killing with New Jersey, and I'm pretty confident with my abilities to do that, so if they need me to do any of that, I’m just ready for whatever they need from me.”
I really like what Vesey and Anderson have said about what they can bring to the team. Their playstyles are exactly right for this team. Good on Dubas for coming into the off-season with a better approach to team construction.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
call me realistic but it looks like a deal that someone signs when they know they have a couple more years of development before cracking a full time NHL roster, believes in the development system they are joining, and wants to mitigate financial risk during a very uncertain time.

I think we are in agreement except I took the glass half empty view while you took the glass half full view. Either way he is probably at least a year away from making the roster. He did look good in the video that was posted by @Wafflewhipper.

Reactions: BoredBrandonPridham

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I don't get it, why is this being declared an absolute steal? We don't even know what this player is, he has 52 games played in the NHL. He could be a career AHL'er for all we know at this point in time.

Reactions: supermann_98

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I don't get it, why is this being declared an absolute steal? We don't even know what this player is, he has 52 games played in the NHL. He could be a career AHL'er for all we know at this point in time.
I think we can safely say a player with over 50 NHL games played is not a career AHLer

Reactions: Dekes For Days

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I think we can safely say a player with over 50 NHL games played is not a career AHLer
He was mainly AHL last season. At 22 years old he's still got lots of time to develop into a full time NHL'er. I like the kids attitude anyway.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I really like what Vesey and Anderson have said about what they can bring to the team. Their playstyles are exactly right for this team. Good on Dubas for coming into the off-season with a better approach to team construction.

I think Dubas showed he was a rookie GM leaving himself exposed at certain points in the past.

He has also showed he is a fast learner and creative thinker not stuck in his ways. A guy that has grown into his job and like a young player has developped along the way.
I have always been in his corner and as anyone who follows him can see he is extremely intelligent. Stick with a guy like this for the long haul is my opinion.
Where I used to question some of his past transactions I am completely happy with everything he has done this off season.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007

It is a complete steal because he is signed at the minimum for 3 years. Can't do better than this unless it was for more term.

Reactions: TDotMassive

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
He's already played in the NHL and looked decent at age 20-21, with some useful skills, so it's unlikely he's just a career AHLer. We're looking at at least a fringe player, with much higher upside. I think most people thought 1, maybe 2 years at a similar price would be a good deal, but 3 years for this price is basically unheard of, and could be a huge steal for the Leafs if he continues his development path. There is no downside and massive upside for the Leafs.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011

to be fair no one said it was a steal until you posted this.

anyway, people look favourably on the deal because he’s played 52 NHL games at an age when johnsson had played 0. He has produced similarly to johnsson over their AHL careers, and has done fine at a young age in the nhl with defensive assignment.

there are 2 other skaters in the league with similar contracts and anderson is the only one actually projected to be an nhler.

it’s a good deal for the leafs.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

"Absolute steal" might be pushing it. I'd say very low in risk. He is off of the cap if not in the NHL. If he is playing, it wouldn't seem to be too tough to outplay that cap hit. He is coming to a better team, but he's still a 22 year old, former 3rd round pick with 52 NHL games to his credit thus far.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
it's the off season so every move is a stroke of genius

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Because our big 3 cost so much..... Dubas has to use MLSE money to his advantage to fill the roster out.... the only loss here is money, if he actually wins a spot on the team, it is an advantage, especially if he is on the team for three seasons. I know Devils fans had high praise of him, some even disappointed to see him go in this the trade for Mango. So its not like its far fetched that he makes the team. Also he apparently is incredible defensively and has a motor that doesn't quit.... so this is a player we have needed for some time, this isn't a Malgin or a Petan.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Was thinking the exact same thing. Most of us never even heard of this guy before they traded for him and now he's a steal with top 2 line Hyman potential. Considering he won't even see 10 minutes a game as a 4th liner I'd cool the hype a little

Reactions: hotpaws

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Was thinking the exact same thing. Most of us never even heard of this guy before they traded for him and now he's a steal with top 2 line Hyman potential. Considering he won't even see 10 minutes a game as a 4th liner I'd cool the hype a little

He isn't a steal trade wise, but we did get an interesting asset back.

His contract isn't a steal, at least in the first year... but it's three years, and people do see some similarities to Hyman in his game. "If" he can hit his potential, it could be a steal in the third year. I hope he plays with the Marlies most of the year, and it wouldn't shock me, to see him be a PPG player there. He's got a decent work ethic, decent IQ, and has shown decent talent at various stages of his career. He was one of the more talented guys in the US Development team, and U20/U18 teams... certainly not elite, but say your third/fourth highest scorer. So he has some talent. He has a work ethic, and an IQ. He was a PPG player as a freshman in the NCAA, and was integral in his team winning the Frozen Four. He's been that guy who rides shotgun to more talented players in his career, who let's them, and helps them do their thing.

The question being, can he put it all together at the Pro level? I don't know, but we'll find out.

Hyman didn't have top 2 line Hyman potential. But, he's got a decent IQ, great work ethic, and figured out how to help those lines work. Now Hyman is an important part of our top 2 lines... but it isn't that he's a typical top six talent, he's just a guy who knows how to make it work. Anderson has more natural talent, but a great deal to prove. He's a forechecker, who creates opportunities for his teammate, but he also has a very good shot. He can PK very well....

This sums him up pretty well..

https://thehockeywriters.com/joey-anderson-the-next-ones-nhl-2016-draft-prospect-profile/

This isn't an elite talent kid, he's a hard working tenacious kid. He's got a great shot as well..... he's the kind of kid we need to succeed, probably even more than a guy like SDA. We need these hard working gritty kids.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->