Confirmed with Link: TOR re-sign Joey Anderson [3 years, 750K AAV]

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Not bad at all to have him locked in at that amount for three seasons. Could work out quite well. I'm particularly thinking down the road as I'm not sure he fully makes the team just yet.

Last edited:

Web In Front

Feb 1, 2020
That's insane. 3 years? That's an awesome deal where you honestly have to question why Anderson would even take it. It's not like it's entirely a 1 way deal - the first two years are two-ways.

It might be a situation where some of these depth players see how tight the Leafs project to be against the flat cap and realize they have a better chance of actually making the opening night roster with a lower cap hit than the guys they're competing against. Especially if you're a younger player like Anderson whose rights the Leafs now hold for a few years past the expiration of this contract.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Not only Pridham, but I've never heard of it happening before, which suggests it's not common knowledge.

@mouser Do you know of any previous partial two-way contracts?
I don’t pay attention to the details of these things. If I were to guess I would imagine it’s happened before. It’s a little bone the team can throw

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Getting 3 years for that aav is absolutely fantastic value. Hopefully he turns into a full time player as soon as this season.

Was worth waiting the extra few days

Call me pesemistic but this does not look like a deal a player who has confidence in himself or is willing to bet on himself signs. Be interesting to know what other players have signed a similar deal.

Mar 26, 2010
Looks like he really wanted to play in Toronto, 3 years at that AAV.

Reactions: aingefan

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
When the pandemic forces minimum salaries down to $50K, this will be labeled as a horrible deal. "Too much and too long, he probably has some hidden no move clause too."

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This is something an agent can get for his client.

3 things to consider here ..

1) A 3 year deal takes him up to Arbitration rights and for a player and agent that is leverage.
2) 2022-23: $800,000 in the 3rd year and a 1-way deal means the Leafs need to provided a qualifying offer for $800,000 + 10% = $880k guaranteed.
3) A 2-way deal requires a 2 way QO and this contract requires a 1-way QO now because of that 3rd year.

For a player that is 22 years old and has 13 NHL points to date is set up to get a minimum of $800k in year 3 (above NHL minimum) even if he never develops into an NHL player is a huge carrot for a prospect taken [2016 round 3 #73 overall by New Jersey Devils] and considered a B level prospect.

The reason you don't see a lot of these split 1-way and 2-way deals is that most teams do not commit to 1-way deals for untested prospects that pays your salary guaranteed whether you play in the NHL or AHL before you become an NHL regular proven player. A player drafted in the 3rd round wouldn't have the leverage without the proven NHL stats to get a 1-way deal.

This is only a big market team possibility as a team playing on a budget or near the cap floor would never guarantee a prospect an NHL salary because they couldn't afford to pay AHLer that money if that prospects bust as the risk/reward is too high.

Last edited:

Leafslet

Oct 19, 2011
TO
Call me pesemistic but this does not look like a deal a player who has confidence in himself or is willing to bet on himself signs. Be interesting to know what other players have signed a similar deal.

I would say it is more likely because joey has no clue what the hockey landscape looks like next couple offseasons, and this gives the guy cost certainty. he may look around and see guys like hoffman unable to land a job, and knows that this is a good opportunity WITH a rare amount of stability in these times.

Reactions: ToneDog

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
By signing cheap, with salary guarantee, he allows himself flexibility to be brought into the NHL at any point without being a cap consideration. It even allows him to be carried as an extra on road trips, and as a result could be the 12th forward on the 20-man rest-day roster.

Reactions: BigBlu

KMNRB

Jul 4, 2015
Does anyone know if Joey Anderson be exempt from the upcoming expansion draft? The Capfriendly Expansion Draft Simulator seems to suggest that he is not exempt, but I don't understand why.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Not only Pridham, but I've never heard of it happening before, which suggests it's not common knowledge.

@mouser Do you know of any previous partial two-way contracts?

I can't run names off the top of my head, but it's more common then many people might think. Most often it involves a 2 year contract where year 1 is 2-way and year 2 being 1-way.

Reactions: Korg

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I’m waiting for all the psychotically dramatic overpayment comments.,,, or.

Look at dubas. Makin up positions and partial 2 way contracts. Who does he think he is

Reactions: Buds17 and Nooodles

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4