Confirmed with Link: TOR re-sign Joey Anderson [3 years, 750K AAV]

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Anderson is far from a quality piece.

Hes an average prospect/young player who plays a simple but valuable game that is lacking in the leafs bottom 6. He will be a 25-40 point player hopefully for 2/3 seasons of his deal with good tenacity and puck retrieval skills

He wont be out producing or out valuing AJs contributions over the next 3 years of their respective deals.

The primary reasoning behind that trade was cap savings. Doubt we would have dealt AJ for Anderson if their had been no covid cap crunch and the cap was at 85M like projected.

Dubas hands were tied a bit but the deal was probably his weakest move of the offseason (which to be fair was very good for the most part). Getting him at 750k for 3 years though is a potentially great move if anderson becomes a regular in the bottom 6 moving forward

The way this trade boils down is that the Leafs took a risk on getting a more valuable player. I seriously did not expect a guy like Anderson to be in play for Johnsson, but we lucked out on a guy who was old regime and I guess was not a favourite in his old organization.

We are taking a risk on getting an NHL-ready player with Blake Coleman upside in exchange for a good secondary scorer who the Leafs did not really need with the emergence of Robertson (and potentially a few other prospects like Malgin and Korshkov) and the addition of guys like Mikheyev taking over Johnsson's top 6 role.

Cap does play into it but he does not make this trade without the kind of value that Anderson possesses coming the other way, and not without guys like Mikheyev, Robertson, Malgin, Korshkov, and of course Anderson ready to replace him in the immediate-to-short term.

Reactions: rdogg

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
The way this trade boils down is that the Leafs took a risk on getting a more valuable player. I seriously did not expect a guy like Anderson to be in play for Johnsson, but we lucked out on a guy who was old regime and I guess was not a favourite in his old organization.

We are taking a risk on getting an NHL-ready player with Blake Coleman upside in exchange for a good secondary scorer who the Leafs did not really need with the emergence of Robertson (and potentially a few other prospects like Malgin and Korshkov) and the addition of guys like Mikheyev taking over Johnsson's top 6 role.

Cap does play into it but he does not make this trade without the kind of value that Anderson possesses coming the other way, and not without guys like Mikheyev, Robertson, Malgin, Korshkov, and of course Anderson ready to replace him in the immediate-to-short term.
Hope your right with the anderson projection and timeline. I view him lower than blake Coleman and view johnsson similar to victor arvidsson (think he can be a 30-30 guy).

Hopefully anderson becomes a 40+ point forward with great board play and puck retrieval abilities very soon and AJ doesnt blossom to a great 1st line complimentary guy

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
I think that Anderson is literally going to be the same player as Johnsson It's more of an ready now player for NJ vs a 1-2 years from now player for Toronto. Stat wise almost identical at age 21-22 . Johnsson 26 this year , Anderson is 22 Kind of traded a ready now player for a 1-2 year project to get the same player.

Even height weight everything so similar even watching highlights of Anderson plays the same kind of hard work game . Can't say I've watched a ton of Anderson but reading about him it says hes got a little more grit in his game which im not opposed too . Anyways really good move.

I also read Dubas stated he had multiple offers on Johnsson , So he did get the best return possible for him IMO

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Just ok. Not good enough to demand a spot. Better than barabanov has looked tho.
Good energy, pesky play? Read his bread and butter was his work ethic.

I'm sure this wouldn't show up in one game all that well however.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
Hope your right with the anderson projection and timeline. I view him lower than blake Coleman and view johnsson similar to victor arvidsson (think he can be a 30-30 guy).

Hopefully anderson becomes a 40+ point forward with great board play and puck retrieval abilities very soon and AJ doesnt blossom to a great 1st line complimentary guy
Anderson and Johnsson have had very similar stats throughout the course of there development. It will likely take a few years for him to be as good a hockey player, but he’s a few years younger. If he’s able to continue on that trajectory while playing a style of hockey similar to Zach hyman... We’ll be happy.

It was a trade that had to happen because of the cap. I’m actually pretty happy with it, I don’t see Johnsson developing into much more then he is now.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
he has been ok so far. I think I was expecting a high energy, crash and bang, will over skill type of player. Not saying I have not seen the flashes of that, just not shift in shift out. It was always likely an unfair comparison to say he plays like Hyman. I think he has the tools to be a Hyman type player, he just doesn't have that consistent motor like Hyman does.... at least not yet. I'd like to see him move the needle a bit more when it comes to that part of his game.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Anderson and Johnsson have had very similar stats throughout the course of there development. It will likely take a few years for him to be as good a hockey player, but he’s a few years younger. If he’s able to continue on that trajectory while playing a style of hockey similar to Zach hyman... We’ll be happy.

It was a trade that had to happen because of the cap. I’m actually pretty happy with it, I don’t see Johnsson developing into much more then he is now.

Johnsson has 1 assist in 7 games this season with the NJDs...oh boy.

Last edited:

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
Johsson has 1 assist in 7 games this season with the NJDs...oh boy.
He’s dealt with a lot of injuries too. Even if we had the cap space to keep him, I think if anything there’s a better chance we traded him a year late rather then a year early as far as value in return.

I was done with him as soon as he got back into the lineup during playoffs and put Robertson in the press box.

Reactions: Auston 316

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Captain of the WJC team, known to be a glue guy on lines.... this is the type of player the Leafs need more of. Leafs had tons of skill guys - but not enough pesky workers who don't necessarily want the puck on their stick all the time. Hoping he pans out, the Devils were very high on him at one point.

Reactions: meefer

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Captain of the WJC team, known to be a glue guy on lines.... this is the type of player the Leafs need more of. Leafs had tons of skill guys - but not enough pesky workers who don't necessarily want the puck on their stick all the time. Hoping he pans out, the Devils were very high on him at one point.

Says it all right there. Would anyone suggest Johnsson would be placed int he same position? I like AJ, but give me a fella who is captain material, regardless of skill (ok, at least NHL skill level) and I'm all in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad