Confirmed with Link: [TOR/OTT] Zaitsev, Brown, Carcone for Ceci, Harpur, Luchuk, 2020 CBJ 3rd Round Pick

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Ceci has bee COMPLETELY mishandled in Ottawa himself. They tried to mould him as a minute eating shut down defender, which is the complete opposite of how they should have embraced him.

Now I have never been a huge Ceci fan right out of the draft as he was “considered” a solid two-way defender, but Ive always believed he leaves a bit to be desired in the defensive zone.

His shot suppression isnt ideal to carry a pairing and he is prone to blowing coverages infront of his own net, BUT if he’s paired with a supporting partner he could really flourish. He needs a Muzzin type that allows him comfort to be creative because he does have the tools to be a very solid PMD who can be decent defensively with the right partner who can compliment his weak areas.

Hes been expected to carry a pairing the last several years which his partners have consisted of Lajoie, Wolanin, Harpur, Claesson, Borow, Phaneuf, Oduya and Chabot. Many of those guys leave a LOT to be desired.

He also had roughly over 55% of his starts in the Dzone, and I believe around 20% in the neutral zone against difficult match ups.

Ottawa fans wrote him off after his arbitration award because I believe out of 290 active defenders that year he was around the 30th ranked defender in terms of giveaway percentage in his own zone, roughly around 18% if I can recall. The thing the Senator fans fail to acknowledge is that there were TWO Sens defenders even worse off that season... two others!

Apologies if these numbers are slightly off, Im not an advanced stat guy and I dont care to look.

So when it comes to usage and hopes of players being able to excel in a new environment, I hope Ceci is one of those because he desperately needs one.

Now should they decide to walk away from an Arbitration ruling, I have zero issues with the pure cap savings also! This is absolutely an option in mind right now.

Both Zaitsev and Ceci need this change and I hope it works out for both!
If Ceci has taken a lot of heat, he may just be coming to the one place where heat on D has amplified 150%.

Like you, I totally agree with a Muzzin/Ceci pairing to play to his strengths. He’s not the Slavin type D and is better as the puck moving, offensive guy if given that role.

For all our sakes, yes please work out.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
I don't know much about harpur or luchuk... I'm assuming Marlies?

We get the pick... bonus. Not a bad deal.

Be intresting to see what happens with Ceci.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
So Harpur and Luchuk are basically throw ins. Nice to get a pick though I guess.

Goodbye Brown :( kid bled blue and white growing up, must be tough for him.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Carcone out makes some sense. With the way the offseason 10% cap overage works qualifying offers count against it so over 700k was being taken up by Carcone's. 1 way contracts count against it so Luchuk back being 2 way counts for nothing as he didn't spent any time in the NHL last year. We have space to sign Marner, but every cheap 1 way guy for league minimum we sign today eats into it during the offseason. This saves us about 750k in offseason cap with just the Luchuk/Carcone swap.

Harpur back doesn't help though.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008

Woot.
I called Carcone last night.
Luchuk and Harper add Marlies depth where it’s needed.
Here’s hoping on the pick being a good one.
I’ll definitely be posting in the ‘Connor Brown’ appreciation thread.
Deal done before 8am :)

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Harpur D
Owns a huge wingspan (6-6, 222 pounds), so he is capable of defending the front of the net (and the defensive zone, in general) well. Is a good skater for a towering defenseman. Does not have much of an offensive arsenal, so he makes his living defending for the most part. Also, his physicality lacks consistency (which may hinder his playing time in the NHL).
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Luchuk C
Aaron is a talented and proven goal scorer who plays a strong two-way game. He's shown the ability to elevate his play in big games, as demonstrated by his play in last year's Memorial Cup.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I wouldn’t sleep on Luchuk.

He’s a year younger than Carcone, and Carcone surprised us all this year.

There’s some skill there.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
This move clears up another 6.6m in cap space. Adding Brown as the “sweetener” is fine by me. He was going to be traded regardless and better him than a Bracco for example.

These are good moves by Dubas

Reactions: kb and WillNy29

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA