Confirmed with Link: [TOR/OTT] Zaitsev, Brown, Carcone for Ceci, Harpur, Luchuk, 2020 CBJ 3rd Round Pick

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm
You're really mad about adding a 4th liner who makes 2.1 mil a season who hasn't brought any offence to a trade that'll get rid of 2 contracts we want to get rid of anyways? You Dubas haters really that easily triggered eh
They see triggered with just about anything made up or real. Based on the information at hand looks like a solid trade for both sides.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
NAZEM KADRI
NIKITA ZAITSEV
CONNOR BROWN

for

CODY CECI
Colin White (NHL/AHL)
Jacob Bernard-Docker (NCAA)

This is probably too good to be true, especially with all the cap that it opens up. Maybe we could retain $1M on Connor Brown since the contract has only one season left on it.

Sign Stralman and one of Ceci / Methot / Hamhuis / Hainsey and also a cheapish 3rd line winger on a short deal that can hopefully play 2nd or 4th line if need be, or center if need be. Sign Marner. Voila.

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm
NAZEM KADRI
NIKITA ZAITSEV
CONNOR BROWN

for

CODY CECI
Colin White (NHL/AHL)

This is probably too good to be true, especially with all the cap that it opens up. Maybe we could retain $1M on Connor Brown since the contract has only one season left on it.

Sign Stralman and one of Ceci / Methot / Hamhuis / Hainsey and also a cheapish 3rd line winger on a short deal that can hopefully play 2nd or 4th line if need be, or center if need be. Sign Marner. Voila.
Why would we add Kadri?

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Why would we add Kadri?
Colin White is an NHL-ready 3rd/4th line center with upside who will hopefully be an NHL 3rd line center for years. He's ready now but can spend one more year in the minors before waivers kick in. This opens up $2 to $3 million further ($3.5 if we demote him) and we get younger but not downgraded at 3C.

The real prize is Bernard-Docker, a first rounder drafted a year ago doing very well and getting better and better. Right handed two-way well rounded defenseman, good at everything basically. He could be our new Zaitsev, or our Petry, or lesser version of Letang, Carlson, Pietrangelo.

I'm not even sure Ottawa would part with him. If we could open up cap to sign Stralman and Marner and get a prospect like that all in one go, it would be almost too good to be true.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Really love this move.

Seems like Kyle’s goal this summer was to take away as many of our terrible coach’s toys as he can, and he’s succeeding. Just resign Marner and upgrade Hainsey and it’s a big win of a summer.

Coatsy79

May 14, 2011
Uk
No doubt DJ Smith is in Dorion's ear on this deal-- they know what they're getting and see themselves coming out on top
I kind of agree, I think Z has been a bit miss cast here he could very well go there and end up a 40 point D

Reactions: NiftyMits

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I feel bad for Brownie. I don’t think we have a player that wants to be a Leaf more than Brown! He is likey devestated.

Best of luck in Ottawa! It really is a great place to live!

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
If Toronto gets Wolanin or White it’ll be a huge win for Toronto - no chance they trade JBD.

Harpur / Lajoie on D could be a thrown in from Ottawa - expect it to be:

OTT: Zaitsev, Brown, 2nd 2021, 4th 2020
TOR: Ceci, Max Lajoie

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
NAZEM KADRI
NIKITA ZAITSEV
CONNOR BROWN

for

CODY CECI
Colin White (NHL/AHL)

Now that would be a nice return. White could be an attractive replacement for Kadri, at the very least serviceable, in the 3C spot. But, hoping for Bernard-Docker would be a bit optimistic imo. But hey, worth a try. :nod:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Ceci has taken a ton of nose bleed talk in Ottawa - he’s a decent Dman with a great attitude and plays hard, is strong, durable, decent passer and can skate in a straight line with the puck at a decent speed. Is a good partner who can do a bit of everything, but gets pinned down a lot on his own zone even if he continues to play hard and has good body language.

Doesn’t get pucks on net well, doesn’t shoot well from the point. Plays a safe offensive game. Can do some things and has some upside, but does spend a ton of time chasing after players and doesn’t handle danglers well like Marner / Kane. Battles hard in front of the net, good battler who’s got a great frame for a Dman, lacking hockey sense and for a Defenseman doesn’t have a tools in the toolbox to stop a downlow cycle or offensive zone pressure. Has some offensive vision but isn’t an offensive Defenseman

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
I kind of agree, I think Z has been a bit miss cast here he could very well go there and end up a 40 point D

Ceci has bee COMPLETELY mishandled in Ottawa himself. They tried to mould him as a minute eating shut down defender, which is the complete opposite of how they should have embraced him.

Now I have never been a huge Ceci fan right out of the draft as he was “considered” a solid two-way defender, but Ive always believed he leaves a bit to be desired in the defensive zone.

His shot suppression isnt ideal to carry a pairing and he is prone to blowing coverages infront of his own net, BUT if he’s paired with a supporting partner he could really flourish. He needs a Muzzin type that allows him comfort to be creative because he does have the tools to be a very solid PMD who can be decent defensively with the right partner who can compliment his weak areas.

Hes been expected to carry a pairing the last several years which his partners have consisted of Lajoie, Wolanin, Harpur, Claesson, Borow, Phaneuf, Oduya and Chabot. Many of those guys leave a LOT to be desired.

He also had roughly over 55% of his starts in the Dzone, and I believe around 20% in the neutral zone against difficult match ups.

Ottawa fans wrote him off after his arbitration award because I believe out of 290 active defenders that year he was around the 30th ranked defender in terms of giveaway percentage in his own zone, roughly around 18% if I can recall. The thing the Senator fans fail to acknowledge is that there were TWO Sens defenders even worse off that season... two others!

Apologies if these numbers are slightly off, Im not an advanced stat guy and I dont care to look.

So when it comes to usage and hopes of players being able to excel in a new environment, I hope Ceci is one of those because he desperately needs one.

Now should they decide to walk away from an Arbitration ruling, I have zero issues with the pure cap savings also! This is absolutely an option in mind right now.

Both Zaitsev and Ceci need this change and I hope it works out for both!

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

Jackson14

Feb 23, 2013
I agree

People here don't respect what Brown is.
Zai will be better with Smith as coach.

Brown is hard working but not physical enough, he doesn't play with much fire and he has stone hands. If he crashed and banged he would be far more effective but seemed allergic to hitting like most of the Leafs. Guys like him need to be mucking it up, getting in peoples face. I can't remember him doing any of that stuff. He had one huge hit in the Boston series that was basically gifted to him.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
100% could see that. He’s an offensive guy getting put in a defensive role.

Same as marleau, he’s not an offensive player anymore, so he got flack, if he had ever been slotted in correctly on the fourth line at a reasonable salary he would’ve been fine

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Ceci has bee COMPLETELY mishandled in Ottawa himself. They tried to mould him as a minute eating shut down defender, which is the complete opposite of how they should have embraced him.

Now I have never been a huge Ceci fan right out of the draft as he was “considered” a solid two-way defender, but Ive always believed he leaves a bit to be desired in the defensive zone.

His shot suppression isnt ideal to carry a pairing and he is prone to blowing coverages infront of his own net, BUT if he’s paired with a supporting partner he could really flourish. He needs a Muzzin type that allows him comfort to be creative because he does have the tools to be a very solid PMD who can be decent defensively with the right partner who can compliment his weak areas.

Hes been expected to carry a pairing the last several years which his partners have consisted of Lajoie, Wolanin, Harpur, Claesson, Borow, Phaneuf, Oduya and Chabot. Many of those guys leave a LOT to be desired.

He also had roughly over 55% of his starts in the Dzone, and I believe around 20% in the neutral zone against difficult match ups.

Ottawa fans wrote him off after his arbitration award because I believe out of 290 active defenders that year he was around the 30th ranked defender in terms of giveaway percentage in his own zone, roughly around 18% if I can recall. The thing the Senator fans fail to acknowledge is that there were TWO Sens defenders even worse off that season... two others!

Apologies if these numbers are slightly off, Im not an advanced stat guy and I dont care to look.

So when it comes to usage and hopes of players being able to excel in a new environment, I hope Ceci is one of those because he desperately needs one.

Now should they decide to walk away from an Arbitration ruling, I have zero issues with the pure cap savings also! This is absolutely an option in mind right now.

Both Zaitsev and Ceci need this change and I hope it works out for both!

I wouldn’t say Ottawa mishandled him I’d say more Ceci isn’t talented enough to run a PP or be the guy to carry the offense for a pairing, so he’s forced to be the complimentary player on a pairing. Because he’s a good skater and has a decent offensive package he was able to focus on the Dsidr and turn himself into a $4.5 million NHL Dman.

You’ll see with Ceci he doesn’t do anything well. He battles hard and can skate and support a play, and in the end that’s what you’re getting - a Dman who has an NHL tool box (size, skating, passing, balance) but not the best head for the game and certainly isn’t a creative player. If Morgan Reilly had Ceci’s frame he’d be one of the best in the game.

But you’re right, he’s had horrific partners. Phaneuf for 2 years then Johnny Oduya and last year it was a different rookie partner every night. If he plays with someone decent he could settle in to being a nice piece

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad