Confirmed with Link: [TOR/NYI] Matt Martin for Eamon McAdam

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Q: Is our team going to throw a body check all season?
A: yes.
Q: What do we do when teams start fights once we start winning,?
A: win more
Q: if our team even thinks about making a clean body check the other teams are gonna draw the line and target that player because there are no consequences or anyone thats going to do anything about it.
A: score more goals on the PP
Q: The rest of the league is all of a sudden going to get really brave when they play toronto.
A: I think they are going to be a scared.
Bad trade unless we have a replacement for martin
OMG.Wrong
Umm in a blowout teams arent going to give a shit about the game anymore when it is 5-1, 6-0 etc... Great we can win more and score more when the game is already out of hand... its just gonna make it worse. Anderson is going to get run, Marner, mathews going to get run. You really want that?

Kadri hit a jets player and byfuglien was going to kill kadri, martin didnt let kadri fight and the situation was diffused, the first year when we got martin vancouver tried to pull a stunt on the leafs and speared reilly and hurt him, martin let it be known that you cant do that with this team anymore and beat up there player, did you notice canucks games were never chippy after that... No martin means if Reilly hits someone he will have to answer to his hit either by fighting or getting cheapshotted, same with kadri, mathews accidently trips their goalie someone is going to go after him. Some teams for no reason will go after these guys especially when we are winning.

Games are gonna get out of hand real fast, and your solution of win by more is not gonna work... You'll find out

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I was expecting a 2020 pick but I guess this is a decent return.

Pure cap dump.

110% likely we trade a goaltender now.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
What is Lou building over there...?

When people are successful, they usually repeat what got them there. Lou is building the old-style New Jersey Devils. Babcock is building the 'Russian Five'.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
It seems that Dubas is undoing some of the previous management's moves. I say 'seems' because he was part of that management team. I'd be curious to know what moves he was in favour of since he came on board whether or not he was involved with the decisions. These would include the trading of the two second round draft picks the last two years, the signing of Marleau, not moving any of the pending free agents at the last trade deadline, the signing of Martin, decisions on who we drafted in 2016 and 2017. Doubt we'll ever know but his molding of the team over the next few years may give us a clue.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
A Matt Martin return to Islanders could be ‘business as usual’

Martin, 28, never had to deal with missing games — healthy or injured — back in his Islanders days, when the Voltron of he, Casey Cizikas and Cal Clutterbuck crashed, banged and scored as for a carefree stretch The Best Fourth Line in Hockey.

Over the summers of 2016 and 2017, Clutterbuck and Cizikas were both rewarded with rich, long-term extensions on Long Island. Martin, a Windsor, Ont., native, signed in Toronto for a little less time and money. Martin still has two more seasons beyond this one with the Leafs, but the only thing that could squeeze him into the lineup this week is someone else’s flu.

"He’s extremely disappointed," Clutterbuck said in an interview. "He wants to be out there; he wants to help. It’s a tough thing getting into a situation where whoever’s in charge of making those decisions doesn’t want you in the lineup. It’s hard not to take it personally.

Clutterbuck and a few other Islanders had dinner with Martin Wednesday night. He still counts his former linemate as a good friend, and the two train together throughout the summer in New York, where Martin spends his off-seasons.

Clutterbuck hasn’t given much thought to the speculation of the Islanders reacquiring Martin, but he’s certainly not opposed to the idea. "Him, Casey and I have played well together in the past, so I’m sure if he were to come back, it would be business as usual for him and probably a familiar place for him to pick up right off the hop. But that stuff’s way over my pay grade, and I try to worry about what’s in front of me," Clutterbuck said.

Continued ,,,

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
What are the ramifications of acquiring Eamon McAdam who I assume will be dumped at some point? What are the Leafs paying him and does he take up a roster spot? The Leafs originally wanted to sign Sean Durzi as a free agent (after last years camp) but had no open roster spots. It cost them a 2nd round draft pick this year to get him which is huge. Roster spots are not insignificant obviously.

Last edited:

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Martin was awful for the Leafs but had success in New York. One of the few bad contracts we have (had) is gone.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The Leafs now have six goalies signed for next season (Frederik Andersen, Curtis McElhinney, Calvin Pickard, Garret Sparks, and Kasimir Kaskisuo are the others).

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Martin was awful for the Leafs but had success in New York. One of the few bad contracts we have (had) is gone.
Not really. You have to be on the ice to do something. Babcock barely gave Martin ice and then finally scratched him. Think his goal-scoring rate was at a Bozak-level and his passing was
about 50% better then Kadri. Not bad numbers for a 4th line plug.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Not really. You have to be on the ice to do something. Babcock barely gave Martin ice and then finally scratched him. Think his goal-scoring rate was at a Bozak-level and his passing was
about 50% better then Kadri. Not bad numbers for a 4th line plug.
He was never in the play which is why he ended up a scratch. He just was not a fit here.

Perhaps he can find the magic with Cizikas and Clutterbuck

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Wouldn't it be ironic if Tavares only has 39 games left in his career as he's wiped out by a vicious Matt Martin hit and never recovers?

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
He was never in the play which is why he ended up a scratch. He just was not a fit here.

Perhaps he can find the magic with Cizikas and Clutterbuck
Personally, I would of tried Martin/Kadri/C.Brown at times last year. That line isn't that fast that Martin would have any issues.

Jarqui

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
I think this was a win-win.
Martin frees up Leafs cap space - particularly for next season - when it is really needed.

Dubas can always pick up one of these guys if he needs some meat to fight
http://www.hockeyfights.com/leaders/players/2/reg2018

The Islanders recombined a good line, get a savings on their cap minimum and do it with a guy who will still have a few fans to attract when selling tickets is going to be desperately difficult.

McAdam is a talent dump for the Islanders.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Wouldn't it be ironic if Tavares only has 39 games left in his career as he's wiped out by a vicious Matt Martin hit and never recovers?
I think the word you are searching for is gutwrenching, or absolutely f****** tragic. Just like it would be if something similar happened to Matthews, Marner or any other player we are invested in and hope the best for.

I don't really see the point in discussing doomsday scenarios like that though.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
I think this was a win-win.
Martin frees up Leafs cap space - particularly for next season - when it is really needed.

Dubas can always pick up one of these guys if he needs some meat to fight
AHL Fighting Major Leaders for the 2017-2018 regular season - hockeyfights.com

The Islanders recombined a good line, get a savings on their cap minimum and do it with a guy who will still have a few fans to attract when selling tickets is going to be desperately difficult.

McAdam is a talent dump for the Islanders.
Martin wasn't just a fighter. He is the best body checker in the NHL averaging 4 hits a game. He's done this for years. He did score 10 goals one season which is pretty good for 11 minutes a game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad