Confirmed with Link: [TOR/NYI] Matt Martin for Eamon McAdam

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I was surprised to hear the rumour of "strong interest" as I didn't think he had much value at all around the league. This trade seems to confirm my thoughts, basically a cap dump for AHL fodder (at best). But I'm happy Dubas moved Martin without retention or giving up anything valuable. The cap space is the most important gain here.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB

To be fair to Lou those aren’t bad moves. Except losing Tavares but that was almost a guarantee anyways. From the sounds of it Lou made it a much harder decision than it probably was going to be if Snow was still GM.

Komarov and Martin are still able to play hockey, and the Islanders need gritty defensive minded forwards. It’s not terrible cap management.

Alexanderthe89

Apr 29, 2011
I'm not thrilled with this one. Even just having him in the press box most of the time, knowing we can throw him into the lineup when needed to keep other teams honest is worth it. Not like we're in cap trouble this year and he is still very much an NHL-calibre player.

Reactions: frog

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I’m only missing two of them, and JVR really just for the net presence; I don’t want that contract at all. I think Bozie is the biggest loss.

The others, I’m very happy with ‘losing’

JVR’s net presence has been replaced by John Tavares. That’s considered his forte.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
The guy was kinda useless. He would just skate around and do nothing. I barely remember any big hits or any memorable shifts. He was supposed to providing energy, toughness, I did not see much of that at all. No wonder he fell out of favour with Babcock.
I fall on this side of the ledger on Martin. Very few impact hits, fights or anything really.

I can remember him ducking out of a shot block the first game he played against the Sens...he just did not do it for me.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I’m only missing two of them, and JVR really just for the net presence; I don’t want that contract at all. I think Bozie is the biggest loss.

The others, I’m very happy with ‘losing’

How is he the biggest loss when you replaced him with Tavares, basically? I won't miss a single one of our UFAs. It was time to move on.

Reactions: IBeL34f

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
What other team would have a 14 page thread in 4 hours for trading away a fourth line grinder that didn't even finish the year with the team?

So glad to be a leafs fan.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
I was surprised to hear the rumour of "strong interest" as I didn't think he had much value at all around the league. This trade seems to confirm my thoughts, basically a cap dump for AHL fodder (at best). But I'm happy Dubas moved Martin without retention or giving up anything valuable. The cap space is the most important gain here.
Nah I'd say Dubas likely could've gotten more from another team but it was the combination of Lou + Martin going back to the place he loved that made Dubas choose the Isles offer
I'm not thrilled with this one. Even just having him in the press box most of the time, knowing we can throw him into the lineup when needed to keep other teams honest is worth it. Not like we're in cap trouble this year and he is still very much an NHL-calibre player.
You do know that there's been plenty of demonstration that guys like Reaves, Martin etc only play big minutes when there's a comparable player on the other team, and when there's not, those guys get like 3 minutes a game causing the rest of the roster to tire out? I'm fine with other teams playing with a handicap

Jarqui

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
Martin wasn't just a fighter. He is the best body checker in the NHL averaging 4 hits a game. He's done this for years. He did score 10 goals one season which is pretty good for 11 minutes a game.

Hitting is often a part of the fighters game. In terms of his goal scoring, past tense is important here. He did not fit. He was overpaid for what he was going to contribute. If the complaint is the loss of toughness, maybe they have to rent someone cheaper to ride the pine and enforce now and then.

The pendulum has swung the other way. Maybe it will swing back some but I have my doubts that is any time soon.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
I dont see how we can fit De Haan on this roster without this trade. We could have traded Martin later in the summer and got more for him. Timing indicates that there is deal pending and cap is needed. I will not be at all surprised if we hear deal announced soon (this week).
Martin was good soldier for us. Appreciate your service and good luck in the future, Matt.

Reactions: dsred

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
If he couldn't make his way into the lineup for half a season and when we were down 3-1 to the B's and "taking a beating" in the playoffs according to some, why keep him? Babcock obviously doesn't like him for some reason. Just using up cap space.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad