Confirmed with Link: [TOR/NYI] Matt Martin for Eamon McAdam

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
If he couldn't make his way into the lineup for half a season and when we were down 3-1 to the B's and "taking a beating" in the playoffs according to some, why keep him? Babcock obviously doesn't like him for some reason. Just using up cap space.

The reason being better players available.

Reactions: Seath The Scaleless

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I think the word you are searching for is gutwrenching, or absolutely f****** tragic. Just like it would be if something similar happened to Matthews, Marner or any other player we are invested in and hope the best for.

I don't really see the point in discussing doomsday scenarios like that though.
Because he's an islanders fan who seems to have a lot of negative things to say about the leafs

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
The reason being better players available.

also he wasn't protecting anyone

he wasn't deterring anything.

either you do what you're supposed to do or you're an effective player. he wasn't either one.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
I get why he was traded. I can see the justification behind it.

The only downside in this trade is, everyone says that the Leafs are easy to play against & this isn't going to help the cause. But the pros for trading him definitely outweighed it.
"Sure we lost the game by 5 goals but those guys were soft af."

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
"Sure we lost the game by 5 goals but those guys were soft af."

I think toughness is overrated but we need to be harder to play against, that doesn't mean we need to throw a lot of hits but Nylander especially looked a little out of place when the games tightened up and the whistles went away.

It's still ridiculous that the rules to get a team into the playoffs seem to change once they are in the playoffs.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
I've finally calmed down abit but still very unhappy with this trade.. Makes no sense to me but whatever. Martin had so much value to this team but whatever, we just lost one of the most feared players in the NHL (and one of the most respected) for a f***ing backup goalie. Leads league in hits, can skate, can forcheck, fight, and strikes fear into the other teams.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I've heard grumbling that Leivo is being shopped. Nothing even remotely credible but where there is smoke there fire

Sigh. Oh well, not the end of the world or anything, I just always wanted to see him got a shot here. But I'll be rooting for him if he goes elsewhere.

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
I'm really beginning to wonder what talks happened behind closed doors with Lou and Kyle. But I'll spitball a scenario for fun. Mostly because I'm half drunk and in a good mood.

Lou: I am THE one true GM
Kyle: (sips soda)
Lou: Are you mocking me?!?!
Kyle: No, I was just thirsty.
Lou: Good. Being thirsty is a bad thing.
Kyle: I agree. That's why I quenched my thirst.
Lou: Are you mocking me?!?!
Kyle: We just went through this, I'm not mocking you. We agreed on that. No need to bring up an irrelevant past discussion.
Lou: You ever heard of Robidas Island?
Kyle: Can't say I have, but I've heard of Morrowind.
Lou: What's Morrowind?
Kyle: A work of fiction. Much like this fabled Robidas Island.
Lou: I've made players vanish...
Kyle: And I've made stars appear
Kyle: (sips soda)

Flipwon

Jun 25, 2018
I've finally calmed down abit but still very unhappy with this trade.. Makes no sense to me but whatever. Martin had so much value to this team but whatever, we just lost one of the most feared players in the NHL (and one of the most respected) for a ****ing backup goalie. Leads league in hits, can skate, can forcheck, fight, and strikes fear into the other teams.

Show me one interview of an opposing player talking about how scared they are of Martin and me and you will band together and raise hell on Bay st until we force Dubas to trade back for him. Srs.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I've finally calmed down abit but still very unhappy with this trade.. Makes no sense to me but whatever. Martin had so much value to this team but whatever, we just lost one of the most feared players in the NHL (and one of the most respected) for a ****ing backup goalie. Leads league in hits, can skate, can forcheck, fight, and strikes fear into the other teams.

Was certainly doing that from the press box

Reactions: hamzarocks

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Lol at the reaction in here.

Couldn't even get a pick. Instead gets a journeyman goalie. I mean maybe he sees something in him, but seems like a poor return considering Martin was apparently in high demand.

At the same time, good to get rid of the contract.

he was probably doing Lou a favour for stealing JT

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Safe to say that McAdam isn't considered an actual prospect? I suppose the reported "interest" in Martin elsewhere required taking back salary.

Playing the Islanders is going to be at the very least annoying I suspect... They'll have about 4 forwards who take runs at the opposition. Will the Leafs count on the zebras and the league to protect its stars?

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
What is the difference between a late round pick and this goalie? Not much, IMO. What are you going to get with a late round pick? Chances are it's another Eamon McAdam. I trust Kyle.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Safe to say that McAdam isn't considered an actual prospect? I suppose the reported "interest" in Martin elsewhere required taking back salary.

Playing the Islanders is going to be at the very least annoying I suspect... They'll have about 4 forwards who take runs at the opposition. Will the Leafs count on the zebras and the league to protect its stars?

McAdam is like a C prospect at best at this point. Nothing to ride home about, likely an ECHL goalie to start the season.

What's interesting is the amount of goaltending depth now at the ECHL/AHL level - McAdam, Kaskikuo, Sparks, and Pickard ... We could be seeing a trade sooner than later involving McBackup, Sparks, or Pickard

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
This Man has done it again

I'm thinking a graphic is in order...

The Leafs will never get Babcock.
The Leafs will never get rid of Phaneuf.
The Leafs will never win the lottery.
Auston Matthews is an average first overall pick.
Lou is a dinosaur who will do nothing to help.
Mitch Marner's game won't translate to the NHL.
Morgan Rielly isn't a top pair D.
Leafs won't make the playoffs for at least four years.
'Washington in 3'
Liljegren won't drop to the Leafs.
Marleau won't leave San Jose.
The Leafs did Lupul bad and will be punished by the league.
Leafs won't make the playoffs, again.
Letting Hunter go was a mistake.
Dubas has neither the experience or the connections to swim in these waters.
Leafs won't get Tavares.
Leafs will have to throw in a pick or retention to get rid of Martin.

Leafs will have to give up one of their young guns to stay under cap <--- you are here.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
They just traded away Marner's best buddy on this team.

No more tough guys on this team other that Kadri. He should demand a raise.

If it was between him and Nylander, Kadri stays the other guys goes.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
This Man has done it again

I'm thinking a graphic is in order...

The Leafs will never get Babcock.
The Leafs will never get rid of Phaneuf.
The Leafs will never win the lottery.
Auston Matthews is an average first overall pick.
Lou is a dinosaur who will do nothing to help.
Mitch Marner's game won't translate to the NHL.
Morgan Rielly isn't a top pair D.
Leafs won't make the playoffs for at least four years.
'Washington in 3'
Liljegren won't drop to the Leafs.
Marleau won't leave San Jose.
The Leafs did Lupul bad and will be punished by the league.
Leafs won't make the playoffs, again.
Letting Hunter go was a mistake.
Dubas has neither the experience or the connections to swim in these waters.
Leafs won't get Tavares.
Leafs will have to throw in a pick or retention to get rid of Martin.

Leafs will have to give up one of their young guns to stay under cap <--- you are here.

Reactions: glue

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I'm all for toughness and physical players who can fight, but they have to be able to play. Martin just can't quite cut it anymore.

I think if Martin was a million less he'd potentially have a spot on the team but we can get what he provides for cheaper. I can't imagine our 4th line will see the ice that much next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad