Confirmed with Link: [TOR/NYI] Matt Martin for Eamon McAdam

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Martin was a healthy scratch. We just saved2.5 million per the next 2 seasons for a guy who would not play. It is hard to strike fear in opponents sitting in the pressbox.
We have cap space for 2.5 million.. He shouldn't have been sitting in the press box it is just that Johnsson and kapanen were too good. But he is a premier 4th line player who can hit, fight and actually play good hockey. When he plays other players are scared. Go ask actual NHL players they don't like when martin is on the ice. Dubas has done great so far but this is his first major mistake

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
We have cap space for 2.5 million.. He shouldn't have been sitting in the press box it is just that Johnsson and kapanen were too good. But he is a premier 4th line player who can hit, fight and actually play good hockey. When he plays other players are scared. Go ask actual NHL players they don't like when martin is on the ice. Dubas has done great so far but this is his first major mistake

Trading a 4th liner to give yourself extra cap room isn't a "major" mistake. You said yourself, Kap and Johnsson were too good so there was no place for him. So if he can't play, how does keeping him scare the rest of the NHL? Are they afraid he's going to jump them in the alley after the game? There was NO place for him on this team any longer, not at his salary and term. We got a body for him and freed up the cap space. And believe me...in 2019/20 we are all going to be glad we are not still on the hook for that 2.5. It could be the difference between keeping or having to cut someone important loose. And yes...I mean Nylander. If he turns his game around in NY, good on him. But nobody here is going to be looking at what he does there and saying "Man, I wish we still had THAT guy." He was done here.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007

Enjoyed watching Martin play for the Leafs the past couple years. Did his job admirably. We acquired him for nothing as a FA and basically he is gone for nothing. When we acquired him he was our best option on the 4th line. That ship has sailed and he has been passed on the depth chart by better players. $2.5 million is too much to sit in the press box. I wish him well and congrats to Dubas getting the $$$ off the books.

Reactions: Its not your fault

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
We don't next year. We need that. We can't waste it on a healthy scratch.
The point is one which you seem to agree, the Leafs are too deep to have Martin in the lineup. On a much worse team like the Isles he'll play.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Trading a 4th liner to give yourself extra cap room isn't a "major" mistake. You said yourself, Kap and Johnsson were too good so there was no place for him. So if he can't play, how does keeping him scare the rest of the NHL? Are they afraid he's going to jump them in the alley after the game? There was NO place for him on this team any longer, not at his salary and term. We got a body for him and freed up the cap space. And believe me...in 2019/20 we are all going to be glad we are not still on the hook for that 2.5. It could be the difference between keeping or having to cut someone important loose. And yes...I mean Nylander. If he turns his game around in NY, good on him. But nobody here is going to be looking at what he does there and saying "Man, I wish we still had THAT guy." He was done here.
Johnsson and Kapanen are on the 3rd line. Martin would be taking a spot from Leivo, which he should because we have 10 forwards that can do what leivo does. If we need the 2.5 of cap space next year then trade him next year, teams will always love to acquire a player like him. All I want is 1 player out of 18 that can hit and fight is that so much to ask for. The other 17 players can be goalscorers... That is literally all I want, one guy and Martin was perfect.

AlienWorkShop

No, Ben! No!
Oct 30, 2004
When he plays other players are scared. Go ask actual NHL players they don't like when martin is on the ice. Dubas has done great so far but this is his first major mistake
I just asked a bunch of actual NHL players. They disagreed with you.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
I just asked a bunch of actual NHL players. They disagreed with you.
Haha good one... Have you ever played full-contact hockey? Does getting hit feel good? Now imagine getting hit by a player the size of Matt Martin. I dont know how many times over the years leafs got hit and completely folded into submission.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Johnsson and Kapanen are on the 3rd line. Martin would be taking a spot from Leivo, which he should because we have 10 forwards that can do what leivo does. If we need the 2.5 of cap space next year then trade him next year, teams will always love to acquire a player like him. All I want is 1 player out of 18 that can hit and fight is that so much to ask for. The other 17 players can be goalscorers... That is literally all I want, one guy and Martin was perfect.

We needed the cap space now. Martin was doing nothing but warm the bench while the team earned a record 105 pts. Better off gone. Need a hitter? They can be had for $2 million less to play the requisite 5 minutes a night if absolutely necessary.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Good move. Gonna miss Marty but it needed to be done for the greater good. That 2.5 will go towards the "core 4". And that is the priority here

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Obviously the cap space is the main return on this deal, but McAdam is a very underrated pickup. He has a ton of skill, but has never been able to put it together. Do not hope for much, and it is very likely he is just shipped away after this year, but with the right coaching he could still become a very good goalie. It increases the chances that two goalies are dealt now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad