Confirmed with Link: [TOR/NYI] Matt Martin for Eamon McAdam

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
As I always suggest, my recommendation is to read all of my posts thoroughly. There's a lot of good stuff in there and you will likely learn a thing or two.

I've stated several times that getting rid of the contract is good for us. I just don't think it's a major win for Dubas because the market for Martin was created by a bonus situation with multiple suitors. We came away with a contract instead of a pick. I would personally rather the pick, or a player with a better track record.

That said, its Matt Martin, so it's not like I'm over here saying Dubas is garbage for getting a nothing return for an asset that was apparently in demand.

This is one of those situations where I think if Dave Nonis made this same deal people would be critical at the return, but because some people on here think Where's Waldo walks on water is OMG Duuuubassss.

I mean to give you an example of my point, a guy on here was PMing me about how great Dubas was for getting Tavares. As though he was a key factor in JT coming here.

I'm really hopeful Dubas is this stud GM. I just want to see him earn that rep before we start spray painting it on the bridge by The Bank.
Half the deal is that Nonis would have kept and maybe extended Martin. Dubas sees the game differently and is steering the leafs that way. That's why many are happy with this move; it shows the direction the leafs is going.

Reactions: Trapper

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Its possible. But to me that wouldn't quantify high demand. But that's definitely up for debate.

To be fair, at this time of year the media is going to jump on anything and make it more then it is.

Compared to the players who have had 0 teams interested a couple of teams offering deals seems like a lot of interest don't you think so

Besides looking at MM's reaction he is happy as can be and a good GM always takes care of the guys who gave it their all and toed the team line.

Now he gets to go home and be the bodyguard/designated driver for Barzal.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Leafs have plenty of emergency depth on the farm especially on the wing and the 13th spot can be used as a carrot.
That’s right with Jooris/Cracknell.
So if Leivo doesn’t cut it, trade him. Don’t leave him as the 13th forward. Jooris can be that.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Half the deal is that Nonis would have kept and maybe extended Martin. Dubas sees the game differently and is steering the leafs that way. That's why many are happy with this move; it shows the direction the leafs is going.

Nonis Burke and Wilson were f***ing basket cases. They started to build a truculent team and then a run and gun team and then switched it for Carlyle. It was a shitshow. I would have made a better team then that without even thinking about it more than 48 work hours. It was unreal what they screwed up.

Reactions: saltming

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
McAdam can do nothing. Like, literally never play a game for the Marlies, and this is a good trade.

And that's not a (direct) slight at Matt Martin; that's a statement of (i) the cap situation in 18/19 and 19/20 and (ii) the depth of wingers the organization currently has, and the fact that Martin would have been nothing more than a sunk cost, cap eater over the next two seasons.

I marvel at the thought process of some of you.
It's CyNick what do you expect lol

Reactions: saltming

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Kaskisuo will be in the AHL

Sparks/Pickard....Marlies?
Andersen/McElhinney.....Leafs?

Unless a trade for Sparks or Pickrd is in the works?

Leafs trade Matt Martin to Islanders for Eamon McAdam

Leafs trade Matt Martin to Islanders for Eamon McAdam - Sportsnet.ca

The Leafs now have six goalies signed for next season (Frederik Andersen, Curtis McElhinney, Calvin Pickard, Garret Sparks, and Kasimir Kaskisuo are the others).
Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman reported on July 27 that the team was taking calls on its AHL championship netminding duo of Sparks and Pickard.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I dont think the original plan was to keep Martin for the entire 4 years ... If Babs wanted him, he would be still here. I dont think this has anything to do with Dubas other than making the deal.

Lou had the deal structured for an easy move when it was time.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Sparks/Pickard....Marlies?
Andersen/McElhinney.....Leafs?

Unless a trade for Sparks or Pickrd is in the works?

Leafs trade Matt Martin to Islanders for Eamon McAdam

Leafs trade Matt Martin to Islanders for Eamon McAdam - Sportsnet.ca

The Leafs now have six goalies signed for next season (Frederik Andersen, Curtis McElhinney, Calvin Pickard, Garret Sparks, and Kasimir Kaskisuo are the others).
Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman reported on July 27 that the team was taking calls on its AHL championship netminding duo of Sparks and Pickard.

One of Pickard or Sparks will almost certainly be dealt

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Pros: just got a rough contract off the books with no retention and without relinquishing any other assets

Cons: Mitch’s player morale in chel just plummeted

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Pros: just got a rough contract off the books with no retention and without relinquishing any other assets

You think playing with John Tavares can get him game-ready?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

Patrick Marleau took over the role of Mitch Marner’s guardian last year

Reactions: FishManSam

member 147413

One of Pickard or Sparks will almost certainly be dealt
Teams will be looking at them as a last resort. Once Lehner signs somewhere there’s not much left and teams should show a little more interest in them. They need to be sold at the right time of free agency.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Worth noting many said he wouldn't be tradeable this late in to the contract when it was signed.

People really overreact to how bad they think a contract is. It's pretty crazy that people assumed a 2.5 million deal was a boat anchor we'd never escape.

SportsJunkie

Jan 29, 2013
Toronto
I get the deal...clear cap space bound to happen. Can't have it all but I really liked Martin but the cap it was to much...

We are extremely soft right now outside of Kadri who plays like he is double his size.

I trust Dubas to find some key 4th line tough guys hopefully

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
You'd carry 3 goalies and have one in the press box every night?

Is that a problem? Any more than carrying 2 forwards? Andersson needs to play a little less. McElhinny is old. We need to know if Sparks is any good at a NHL level. Andersson plays 60 games. The other two split. We get to test out Sparks. If he's doing the job, McElhinny can go at some point.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad