Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Matthews extended (5 years, $11.63M AAV) part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackson14

Feb 23, 2013
And the rest of us were told he'd sign for less than Tavares, that he'd sign for 8 years, that he'd take a massive discount to win cups.

Will be interesting to see how the Marner situation plays out. So the Hawks are in the basement because of two 10.5 mil contracts. Wonder how that'll work out for the Leafs with three 11+ mil contracts.

The Hawks would be fine if Toews, Keith and Seabrook were playing to their contract.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Even someone with limited hockey knowledge could tell you that Matthews is one of the best two-way centres in the league. But we'll take your word for it.
Don’t take my word for it. Watch the highlights of those games.

You think I’m making it up?

At intengral times in those games, andduring a losing skid he lost puck battles to players who are smaller, weaker and lesser skaters than he.

Also, understand that I’m not in any way knocking Matthews natural skill level or on ice awareness. It’s just that sometimes he competes like a pure Nancy. As time goes on, more and more leaf fans will agree with this. Many already do.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
One of those guys is Toews who fell off a cliff. They did it for years and won 3 cups. So good example.

They went to cap hell in 2010 and that was the end of them. They'd have to trade everyone. They'd never win another cup. Right?

Those contracts were signed after the cups. Never would've happened with them signing it this early.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
So what? They have those guys, and the Leafs have Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Rielly, Andersen, Muzzin..........who cares what they make, if the team can fit the core in. Which the Leafs CAN.

And they'll ALL be under contract, soon enough. Those other teams are gonna have to deal with the Leafs. Good luck with that.

WOO HOOO!!!

next year already 72M committed and need to sign Marner, Johnsson, Kapanen and 2 defencemen to replace Gardiner and Hainsey. That looks like about 22M more needed.
Cap going up to 94M?

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Nope! Once next year cap kicks in, along with Matthew's contract, he'll take up 14% of the Leafs cap. That is exactly market value.

McDavid takes up around 16%, so Matthews is right where he should be.

WOOO HOOO.

And then when Marner gets paid 11.5M? What then?

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
If he took a few years off of the NHL, he likely wouldn't come back and bag a fat contract. You know that.

Obviously. What does that have to do with anything? If he takes a few years off from the NHL over contract negotiations then see ya later.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
One important thing you did not mention, McDavid signed a 8 year deal indicating his commitment to the Oilers. Matthews signed only for 5 years indicating perhaps his commitment to free agency.
And Tavares was fully committed to the Islanders until he got fed up with the mismanagement of the team.

SwollenGoat

Sep 23, 2008
South River
Why was beaten to the loose pucks by lesser players in those specific instances? Beaten at such crucial times in the game, during a losing streak.

No, guys Ike Tavares, Rielly, Marner and even a Kapanen can’t have their compete levels questioned. Matthews and Nylander don’t have that in them. By the time of this year’s elimination more and more leaf fans will feel the same.
Your hate boner for Matthews is quite impressive.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Because they were a joke of an organization for 9 solid years all the while doing nothing to improve the team, except when it became clear that it was too late?
Unlike Toronto which has been a model NHL franchise for the past 50 years. :laugh:
People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Meanwhile you guys act like they can't make trades.

Doesn’t he have NMC? I don’t get how you can laugh at the idea of players going from a good team to a bad team....and then in another post say Marleau is going to go from a good team to a bad team.

Idk man.

I think the leafs can keep their core, but surrounding it with quality depth and secondary players might be an issue in a few years. Decent problem to have

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Doesn't Matthews contract make him the highest paid player the next two seasons, even more than Mcdavid?

Wow, good deal for Auston. Heavily front loaded.

$15.9 mil first two years of his contract. Congrats mang :yashin:

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
And then when Marner gets paid 11.5M? What then?
Then the Leafs have 4 star forwards locked up for years, and hfboards will freak out about how much they need to give up to get to the cap, until they do in an undramatic fashion, and then we can go back to hearing about how they all actually suck, and are overpaid even though everyone of them will have been signed to less than what many of the critics were claiming they’d sign for.

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
At least it's only 5 years and not 3 decades like Toews' albatross of a contract.
Hardly an albatross he is a PPG player right now and one of the best two way centres and won three cups and only 4 years left in the contract. Give your head a shake btw do you think Yzerman Could have been able to sign Kucherov, Hedman or Stamkos at those deals if they had won 3 SC’s?

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
Meanwhile you guys act like they can't make trades.
Right, but would they do that to Marleau? Only an ******* would ask him to do it. He went there to win a cup. Not to hang out until you signed a free agent.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Alright, well you let me know how it goes when you try to negotiate anything with a firm stance like that. You'll end up with nothing.

It's funny. He's now the 5th player (at least) in the last 3 years to receive way too much money on a contract, but somehow it's THIS one that'll ruin contract negotiations for RFA players. Wanna know why Connor McDavid was handed 12 Million dollars? Because the Oilers gave him whatever he wanted. In fact, they offered him $13M if memory serves correctly. Same thing with Leon Draisaitl. No way on Earth was he worth 8 Million dollars in 2017. Then you know what happened? The Buffalo Sabres handed Jack Eichel whatever contract he wanted. No way should he have been worth 10 Million dollars, but look at that.

Do you want to look for someone to blame for these stupid contracts? Look no further than Peter Chiarelli and the Edmonton Oilers. They set the market what it is today with their PR stunts.

Chiarelli signed McDavid to a steal at 8 years 12.5 if I'm basing it off this 5 year contract

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
Unlike Toronto which has been a model NHL franchise for the past 50 years. :laugh:
People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Funny you should mention that. Do the Islanders even have a home? Or are they still crashing on Jay-Z and Beyonce's couch?

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
I love how even strength goals and such didnt become a thing people really tracked or reported on until the leafs got a star that could only lead in such a catagory.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Your hate ***** for Matthews is quite impressive.
But why though.

There are countless examples of me propping and even defending other leafs.

I’ve said many times that even today Marner remains underrated league wide.

I’ve said many times that Andersen is absolutely a Vezina candidate.

I’ve argued in many posts that Rielly is in fact not only competent but very good in his own zone.

Why knock only Matthews and Nylander then?

It’s because I live in Toronto and watch them nightly, but without an emotional bond to the players.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Then the Leafs have 4 star forwards locked up for years, and hfboards will freak out about how much they need to give up to get to the cap, until they do in an undramatic fashion, and then we can go back to hearing about how they all actually suck, and are overpaid even though everyone of them will have been signed to less than what many of the critics were claiming they’d sign for.

Having 3 forwards signed for over 11M each is insane.

Stamkos, Kucherov and Point will be signed for something like 25-26 million and that is arguably a better trio

And are you calling Nylander a star...? What has he done to warrant that description?

NK94

Feb 5, 2019
next year already 72M committed and need to sign Marner, Johnsson, Kapanen and 2 defencemen to replace Gardiner and Hainsey. That looks like about 22M more needed.
Cap going up to 94M?
Ugh how could we ever replace the aging and bottom pairing defencemen in Ron Hainsey? Ugh the thought is daunting :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad