Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Matthews extended (5 years, $11.63M AAV) part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Chiarelli signed McDavid to a steal at 8 years 12.5 if I'm basing it off this 5 year contract
McDavid’s contract is the only good thing Chiarelli did.

He successfully tricked McDavid to committing at least 11 years of his career as an Oiler :)

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
next year already 72M committed and need to sign Marner, Johnsson, Kapanen and 2 defencemen to replace Gardiner and Hainsey. That looks like about 22M more needed.
Cap going up to 94M?

Will be tough. Need to get creative with Orpik type moves and using some of the AHL talent. Really it's next year that is the challenge. Assuming they have a plan.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
Obviously. What does that have to do with anything? If he takes a few years off from the NHL over contract negotiations then see ya later.
It has to do that Dubas knows this, yet still caved. I know he's not the only one who does. These agents are playing hardball, someone's gotta throw em a slider. Imagine Nylander's agent going, "sorry, they didn't call back".

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Shocked they couldn't get him for less when 4 of those years are RFA. They're going to have what, 45% of the cap locked up in 4 forwards by the time Marner signs?

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Most people have valued ES more for a long time.
5V5 is obviously very important but its also kind of stupid how many people almost completely ignore PP production. Im not thinking about Leafs or any of your players btw, just in general.

Last edited:

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Those contracts were signed after the cups. Never would've happened with them signing it this early.
Okay but now most of that core is well past their prime. That's the reason they aren't winbing. Pens have a few highly paid players and still winning cups but you didn't use them as an example. Wonder why.

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
Lol at the leaf fans who’s says this is fair. Fair based on what? Eichel got 10, mcdavid got 12.5 both with term. Matthews got close to mdavid but only 5 years. How is that even fair. Dubas got rolled over.

Duffalufagus

Jan 4, 2017
Dubas just getting abused in these negotiations. Good lord.

The pain of this deal seems lost on a lot of Leafs fans here. I don’t know how he can return value at that number and that term.

This is not a good deal for the Leafs. At all.

King Mapes

Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
So you'd understand if he said **** no, and that's how it ends? I think you're better off just not asking.
No you aren't. Remember the Sundin situation? You have to ask. You have to look out for the teams best interests, it's your job.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
So what? They have those guys, and the Leafs have Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Rielly, Andersen, Muzzin..........who cares what they make, if the team can fit the core in. Which the Leafs CAN.

And they'll ALL be under contract, soon enough. Those other teams are gonna have to deal with the Leafs. Good luck with that.

WOO HOOO!!!
Here is the good part [i stole from another poster ]and the bottom line is the BONUS.

Full NMC in last year according to capfriendly. He expires as a UFA so leafs cant even trade him in his final year if he is unwilling to sign.

IMAGINE MATTHEWS WALKING AWAY FOR FREE IN 5 YRS.

Reactions: Rubi and Daz28

King Mapes

Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Lol at the leaf fans who’s says this is fair. Fair based on what? Eichel got 10, mcdavid got 12.5 both with term. Matthews got close to mdavid but only 5 years. How is that even fair. Dubas got rolled over.

He's better than Eichel. Look at both goals per game and PPG his first 3 years. He's also better defensively.

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
Chiarelli signed McDavid to a steal at 8 years 12.5 if I'm basing it off this 5 year contract

Which is 100% illogical to do. He was an overpaid RFA. There is absolutely no question about it. It set the precedent for the next generation of young stars.

Compare his contract to that of the previous two Art Ross winners before him, as those are his comparables for that contract

2014-15 - Jamie Benn - $5,250,000
2015-16 - Patrick Kane - $10,500,000*

Please enlighten me as to how Connor McDavid was not overpaid, and how on earth you can use something that happens today as a basis for comparison for something that happened 2 years ago.

*3-Time Stanley Cup winner, all 8 years of the contract are UFA years.

Predsrule

Nov 18, 2008
So you wouldn’t take Mathews on your team right now for this deal? ... yes you would? Really then...

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
He's better than Eichel. Look at both goals per game and PPG his first 3 years. He's also better defensively.

I totally agree with both which is why 11.6 for 8 would have been fair. more than eichel but less then mcdavid (he's not mcdavid tier). just boggles my mind he got 11.6 but only for 5 years.

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
Don’t take my word for it. Watch the highlights of those games.

You think I’m making it up?

At intengral times in those games, andduring a losing skid he lost puck battles to players who are smaller, weaker and lesser skaters than he.

Also, understand that I’m not in any way knocking Matthews natural skill level or on ice awareness. It’s just that sometimes he competes like a pure Nancy. As time goes on, more and more leaf fans will agree with this. Many already do.

Sure, I can cherry pick video clips of any player as well.

I watch every Leaf game, and trust me when I say it is not a regular occurrence. But if you want to find a couple of one offs to make your point, go ahead.

Anyway, I get it. I like the Leafs. You don't. We're never going to agree.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
The Hawks would be fine if Toews, Keith and Seabrook were playing to their contract.
Yeah. Are they?

EVERYONE at the time knew that the Seabrook contract was laughably bad. And EVERYONE knew at the time Toews was massively overpaid.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Which is 100% illogical to do. He was an overpaid RFA. There is absolutely no question about it. It set the precedent for the next generation of young stars.

Compare his contract to that of the previous two Art Ross winners before him, as those are his comparables for that contract

2014-15 - Jamie Benn - $5,250,000
2015-16 - Patrick Kane - $10,500,000*

Please enlighten me as to how Connor McDavid was not overpaid, and how on earth you can use something that happens today as a basis for comparison for something that happened 2 years ago.

*3-Time Stanley Cup winner, all 8 years of the contract are UFA years.
of the contract are UFA years
Which you can't. Compare it to the contract of the Art Ross trophy winners from the previous seasons before him, because those are his comparables.

Which you can't. Compare it to the contract of the Art Ross trophy winners from the previous seasons before him, because those are his comparables.

wtf mcdavid was definitely not overpaid

weren't you just arguing that this matthews contract wasn't precedent setting? how do you do that by arguing mcdavid was overpaid

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
No doubt that was a teachable moment for Dubas, where he overcompensated to give in to a 5 year RFA, not even UFA deal for 11.63M per. Based on every comparable we have, he got worked. It's disappointing for the other teams that have RFA's coming up. Now agents can cite this deal. The most recent 5 year RFA deal is Larkin at 6.1. And anyone who watches these 2 play head to head this season will know, there is no way Matthews is 5.5M better than Larkin is on the ice or in the stats.
Wont argue the merits of the deal because it is a big contract. As for other teams...if there were other teams who were playing games with the Nylander negotiation (there were rumors that they would have paid Willy what he wanted) and if it is true that there were some gm's leaking that they planned on offer sheeting Marner, Dubas just laid a backhand. Any team in a position to do so, would have been a smaller market team. They are now virtually guaranteed to never compete if they don't spend near the maximum cap. All the RFAs out there on other teams will have elevated their price. Dubas may well be in cap hell (and perhaps much of it is his doing), but teams who play subtle tampering games should have a long look in the mirror for their contribution

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
Shocked they couldn't get him for less when 4 of those years are RFA. They're going to have what, 45% of the cap locked up in 4 forwards by the time Marner signs?
Tavares + Matthews = $11,000,000 + $11,630,000 = $22,630,000
Marner + Nylander = $9,500,000 + $6,962,366 = $16,462,366
*I used a conservative cap hit for Marner.

$22,630,000 + $16,462,366 = $39,092,366

The accepted prediction for the cap for next season is $83 M, therefore the percentage of the cap spent on these players will be 47.1%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad