Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Matthews extended (5 years, $11.63M AAV) part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

NextYear67

Averaging over a like per post
Mar 2, 2018
GTA
Cup favorite? That would be teams like TB, Jets, Caps, Pens...........the leafs are not there with those teams. Winning a round just might help that...for a team that has not won a round in 15 years...

I think if you talk to most leaf fans, they would not count you as a favorite...more a dark horse. Be honest...
Easily a top 5 fav. Being honest

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Easily a top 5 fav. Being honest
The took a huge step toward this bringing in Muzzin. I still feel they need one more similarly impactful move to solidify themselves up there. And they still have the non roster assets to make that addition.

Pucklington

Mar 24, 2008
Köln
He might be worth 11 million after next season, but I would think length of term is a disappointment. He is still making more on this deal than he is presently worth.

If they are able to resign him (not guaranteed) after this contract it will be for much more had they bit the bullet on an 8 year deal.

NextYear67

Averaging over a like per post
Mar 2, 2018
GTA
The took a huge step toward this bringing in Muzzin. I still feel they need one more similarly impactful move to solidify themselves up there. And they still have the non roster assets to make that addition.
For sure. Right now being a top 5 cup fav is arguable. But 1 more add puts the debate to rest.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
I think they're good as is. Keep the capital in case of injuries or cap problems.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
And then when Marner gets paid 11.5M? What then?

Management will just have to figure that out, won't they? It's not as though it won't get done. LOL Some lesser guys may go, but the core will be locked up.

It's only a concern for some of you...............for some reason. :)

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
You're wrong because the notion that hockey players don't try is idiotic.
In general, humans have differing levels of drive and determination. It’s not about not trying. But, for example, Sidney Crosby has a higher compete level than say a Gaudreau type player. This is clear within a few shifts of watching them play.

Reactions: authentic

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Your post was about being rich. I, personally would take 50 over 30 mil. You might be the only person that feels that less is more regarding money.

I would also take $80 million over $50 million, you might be the only person that feels like less is more regarding money.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Management will just have to figure that out, won't they? It's not as though it won't get done. LOL Some lesser guys may go, but the core will be locked up.

It's only a concern for some of you...............for some reason. :)

Locked up with no depth, Chicago 2.0 with better goaltending and no Cups.

If they sign Marner for close to Matthews money they are f***ed to trying to fill the rest of the roster with quality depth. Teams in a cap world don't win Cups on the strength of a few top players.

This contract was not some big win for the Leafs. They failed to get either a longer amount of years or a lower AAV. Now Marner and his agent smell blood.

Grimmas

Mar 13, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Do you think signing Nylander with 15 minutes left was a good sign that the deal was mutually beneficial? To me it reeks of well, if we want him this year we better cave. As I've already said, a bunch more bad looking contracts may come in soon, and his players play great. It's just hard to see where he is winning anything right now.

The fact Nylander called him implies that Nylander caved. The deal was just completely fair.

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
The Hawks aren’t in the basement because of Kane, it’s because of paying 6 million to #6/7 D man in Seabrook.

Now if Matthews stars to only have 55 point seasons like Toews you may have a point? But I’m not too worried about that.

You were correct in the first paragraph and Matthews better put up the big numbers as he won’t play defence or shut down other teams top lines like Toews has done and has excelled in the playoffs yet either ( still time there)

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
One of those guys is Toews who fell off a cliff. They did it for years and won 3 cups. So good example.

They went to cap hell in 2010 and that was the end of them. They'd have to trade everyone. They'd never win another cup. Right?

You don’t watch many Hawks games do you?

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
lol. that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about his deal. matthews is a great player but anyone who thinks this deal is fair needs to check at what other comparables signed for. All I'm saying is that it doesn't make sense. if he wanted 11.6 he should have signed for more term. based on past signings (eichel/mcdavid) this contract is not fair. it's an over payment.
Just because your owner couldn’t afford this kind of contract doesn’t mean it’s an overpayment

Reactions: InAbsensia

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Locked up with no depth, Chicago 2.0 with better goaltending and no Cups.

If they sign Marner for close to Matthews money they are ****ed to trying to fill the rest of the roster with quality depth. Teams in a cap world don't win Cups on the strength of a few top players.

This contract was not some big win for the Leafs. They failed to get either a longer amount of years or a lower AAV. Now Marner and his agent smell blood.

Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares, Kadri, Kapanen, Rielly, Muzzin, Dermott, Johnsson, Andersen........will all be back. So will all the 4th liners.

We're more than fine for "depth". LOL.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Since everyone likes to complain and say Crosby took a discount here are the cap% for some of the big name players 2nd(or 3rd in new CBA) contracts:

Crosby 17.3% 5 years
McDavid 16.67% 8 years
Malkin 15.34% 5 years
Eichel 13.33% 8 years
Matthews 14.63% 5 years
Stamkos 11.66% 5 years
Kucherov 11.95% 8 years
Kane 11.09%, 5 years. 2nd 15.22% (New CBA) 8 years
Perry (3rd contract new CBA) 13.41% 8 years
Drai 11.33% 8 years
Tarasenko 10.27% 8 years
Kuznetsov 10.4% 8 years

Im not saying that AM contract is good. He got paid full market value at a reduced term without giving up many UFA years. The contract sucks for the leafs. But people need to stop saying Sid took a discount and comparing it to AM and others.

Kucherov makes ~4.77m this year on his second contract
Matthews makes ~11.63m next year on his second contract

That's a difference of almost 7 million...

Excellent job Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad