Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Matthews extended (5 years, $11.63M AAV) part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dylbot

Sep 10, 2009
Lol at the leaf fans who’s says this is fair. Fair based on what? Eichel got 10, mcdavid got 12.5 both with term. Matthews got close to mdavid but only 5 years. How is that even fair. Dubas got rolled over.
Market seems to have changed rapidly over the last couple years. I wouldn’t call it a GOOD deal for the Leafs, but at least he’s locked up. Curious to see what Point, Rantanan, Marner et. al. get.

Dessert Nights

Back in Form
Nov 22, 2016
Finland
Any idea why the exact AAV is $11.634 million and not something like $11.6 million? Is $34 added because of his number or is it a round number in CAD or something else?

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
An extra $20 million would just mean Jack Johnson lost more money, it has nothing to do with earning less. Your argument is $50 million is a lot of money so they can take a risk by sign a short-term contract and still have financial security. If Matthews signed the extra 3 years he would have had an extra $30 million in financial security (by your logic).

At the end of the day, the player will waste his millions and squander it away or make financially sound decisions, regardless of whether that is $30 million, $50 million, or $80 million.
Your post was about being rich. I, personally would take 50 over 30 mil. You might be the only person that feels that less is more regarding money.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
I totally agree with both which is why 11.6 for 8 would have been fair. more than eichel but less then mcdavid (he's not mcdavid tier). just boggles my mind he got 11.6 but only for 5 years.
Okay I'll give you that. You're not buying UFA years. I thought he'd sign for 8 years at 11.5 so I don't disagree. But contracts like this aren't the ones who hurt you since he is atleast productive, it's the Lucic/Marleau type contracts.

Reactions: Daz28

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Sure, I can cherry pick video clips of any player as well.

I watch every Leaf game, and trust me when I say it is not a regular occurrence. But if you want to find a couple of one offs to make your point, go ahead.

Anyway, I get it. I like the Leafs. You don't. We're never going to agree.
Listen, I’m not a leaf fan but I live in Toronto and watch them far more than any other team. I just don’t have the emotional bond to the players that a fan would.

This is why it’s so easy for me to see the difference in consistent effort between him and guys like Tavares or Marner or even Rielly.

Reactions: Just Rude

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
So you wouldn’t take Mathews on your team right now for this deal? ... yes you would? Really then...

lol. that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about his deal. matthews is a great player but anyone who thinks this deal is fair needs to check at what other comparables signed for. All I'm saying is that it doesn't make sense. if he wanted 11.6 he should have signed for more term. based on past signings (eichel/mcdavid) this contract is not fair. it's an over payment.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Fair enough, but given that part of the pitch to land Tavares meant giving him his word that the team wouldn't be dismantled to accomodate him, wouldn't you argue that it was that which was his ultimate downfall? It doesn't matter what GM was in charge of negotiations, the market has been set since October 2017. These guys would have been asking for this kind of money no matter how you look at it.

Signing players at or below market value doesn't make someone a bad manager.

If that means Nylander was apart of the untouchable core then yes I agree that's part of it. Definitely.

Marner & Matthews were going to ask for this, of course. Its a difficult situation when you bring in Tavares. You have to hope you can get some discounts & if you can't (which isn't Dubas fault) then decisions need to be made.

I don't think Nylander earned in his contract, yet he ended up getting the contract he wanted from them ontop of further commitment he wouldn't be moved. Now it looks like they are going to have 4 forwards making 40 million.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Tavares + Matthews = $11,000,000 + $11,630,000 = $22,630,000
Marner + Nylander = $9,500,000 + $6,962,366 = $16,462,366
*I used a conservative cap hit for Marner.

$22,630,000 + $16,462,366 = $39,092,366

The accepted prediction for the cap for next season is $83 M, therefore the percentage of the cap spent on these players will be 47.1%.

That's rough, especially considering that Marner could easily get 10 or 10.5 million and bring that percentage closer to 50.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Listen, I’m not a leaf fan but I live in Toronto and watch them far more than any other team. I just don’t have the emotional bond to the players that a fan would.

This is why it’s so easy for me to see the difference in consistent effort between him and guys like Tavares or Marner or even Rielly.

You're still wrong about Matthews compete level.

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
HF laughs at the prospect of a team dropping a $12 or $13 M offer sheet on Matthews or Marner to screw over the Leafs, but whine like little schoolgirls because Dubas is screwing over other GMs and setting the tone for all RFAs?

Am I doing this right? :laugh::huh:

Predsrule

Nov 18, 2008
lol. that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about his deal. matthews is a great player but anyone who thinks this deal is fair needs to check at what other comparables signed for. All I'm saying is that it doesn't make sense. if he wanted 11.6 he should have signed for more term. based on past signings (eichel/mcdavid) this contract is not fair. it's an over payment.
It’s a fair deal when any gm would of gave him the same deal if they could get him today. His cap% is lower then when Eichel signed. It is a fair deal nothing more nothing les just fair.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
5V5 is obviously very important but its also kind of stupid how many people almost completely ignore PP production. Im not think ing about Leafs or any of your players btw, just in general.
Isn't this the first year he has been on pp1 ?

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
Which is 100% illogical to do. He was an overpaid RFA. There is absolutely no question about it. It set the precedent for the next generation of young stars.

Compare his contract to that of the previous two Art Ross winners before him, as those are his comparables for that contract

2014-15 - Jamie Benn - $5,250,000
2015-16 - Patrick Kane - $10,500,000*

Please enlighten me as to how Connor McDavid was not overpaid, and how on earth you can use something that happens today as a basis for comparison for something that happened 2 years ago.

*3-Time Stanley Cup winner, all 8 years of the contract are UFA years.
Well a guy that might be the legitimate best player ever does have leverage. I get your premise, but he's NOT overpaid.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
You're still wrong about Matthews compete level.
Because you disagree with me?

Am I wrong when I say that Marner remains underrated league wide?

Am I wrong when a state that Andersen is a Vezina calibre goalie?

Am I wrong when I argue that Rielly isn’t only competent but actually excellent in his own zone?

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Because you disagree with me?

Am I wrong when I say that Marner remains underrated league wide?

Am I wrong when a state that Andersen is a Vezina calibre goalie?

Am I wrong when I argue that Rielly isn’t only competent but actually excellent in his own zone?

You're wrong because the notion that hockey players don't try is idiotic.

Conrad McBenis

Bow Down
Jan 10, 2018
Hardly an albatross he is a PPG player right now and one of the best two way centres and won three cups and only 4 years left in the contract. Give your head a shake btw do you think Yzerman Could have been able to sign Kucherov, Hedman or Stamkos at those deals if they had won 3 SC’s?

This is his first good year since signing the contract. Going to need to do better than 1/4 good seasons to not be considered an albatross.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Drafted 1st overall, win the Calder, become all star captain, sign a massive game changing contract.... Next up, hit that darn 70 point mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad