Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Maple Leafs re-sign Justin Holl (3 years, $2M AAV)

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
And that’s fine. I never said he couldn’t get better. I never said he couldn’t be a 2nd pairing defenceman. But at this point he’s a bottom pairing defenceman that has gotten a good opportunity for more minutes. It’s a decent to good signing. But it’s not a steal.

Always one asshole poster who has to belittle and downplay anything related to the leafs. Congrats that's you today. Enjoy

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
And that’s fine. I never said he couldn’t get better. I never said he couldn’t be a 2nd pairing defenceman. But at this point he’s a bottom pairing defenceman that has gotten a good opportunity for more minutes. It’s a decent to good signing. But it’s not a steal.

So you realize how idiotic you look repeating over and over again

Decent to good signing but not a steal.

It's quite obvious you have an agenda and haven't watched much of Holl play this season at all.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
You feel good with
Reilley
Dermott
Sandin
Holl
Lilegren
Then what ? Can they afford a Barrie ?
I have less than no interest in re-signing Barrie, personally. One of Muzzin or Brodie or Hamonic would be much preferred. More so Brodie or Hamonic as they can play the right side.

Mikenusca

Mar 30, 2016
He's going up against top line opposition fwds and coming out ahead most of the time, hardly a depth piece
Ok if Sandin and Liljegren pan out like everyone says they will and if they get their number 1 RD via trade or offseason. Holl is going to be bumped to the 3rd pairing next year hence good depth guy. Relax dude, the guy has barely any experience and is 27. On this board he’s too close to 30 and you wouldn’t touch him in a trade proposal. Most likely you guys want him and his contract gone after next year of the kids over achieve. Good for him getting paid. It’s always good to see guys who work hard getting paid but with under 60 games and no playoff experience, probably should of waited to after the season to extend him

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
So you realize how idiotic you look repeating over and over again

Decent to good signing but not a steal.

It's quite obvious you have an agenda and haven't watched much of Holl play this season at all.
Lol. Ya, I don’t think I’m the one that looks idiotic here. Not sure why you don’t comprehend that it’s a good signing but not a steal. And for the 2nd time, I’m a leafs fan. I’ve seen plenty of him. But if it makes you feel better about yourself and will help you sleep tonight you believe whatever you want.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
There have been countless players that have played Above there true position and came back down to earth. Just because Toronto’s D is weak and plays above bottom pairing doesn’t make him a top 4 D.
He's number 4 on a 12-4-1 team. Lol.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
That defence is a pretty good recipe for disaster. 2 rookies, 1 guy has played 51 games and the other has played 128 games. A lot of pressure on that bottom 4.
They do have to play at some point. Holl is already playing those minutes. Dermott is at a point where he should probably start getting reps in the top-4 to see what we have. Liljegren needs waivers next season and he's NHL ready. Sandin performed to start the year and he could be a top-4 guy to start next year, if he went to the AHL, that's already 3 years down there. The top guys price themselves out and you have to replace from within. Sandin, Liljegren and Dermott are held in pretty high regard, I'm not worried. The guy they add to that group at the top, chances are will be pretty good and the #7 may also be able to play minutes.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
They do have to play at some point. Holl is already playing those minutes. Dermott is at a point where he should probably start getting reps in the top-4 to see what we have. Liljegren needs waivers next season and he's NHL ready. Sandin performed to start the year and he could be a top-4 guy to start next year, if he went to the AHL, that's already 3 years down there. The top guys price themselves out and you have to replace from within. Sandin, Liljegren and Dermott are held in pretty high regard, I'm not worried. The guy they add to that group at the top, chances are will be pretty good and the #7 may also be able to play minutes.
There is no question that young players need to have playing time. I just don’t see putting all those young inexperienced guys on the bottom 4 as a good idea. Sandin might take a step back as well as lilijgren. What do you do if they get sent back down? It’s better to have more veterans and let the kids battle to get into the line up. Leave a spot open on the bottom pairing plus the 7th spot for the kids. If they are playing good they will quickly push guys out.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Jesus christ. No matter what... always someone who says it was too much. A middle pairing D man for 2 mill per is a steal. If you think he was taking 1.5 you are insane.

It’s also a 27 year old with 50 games of NHL experience. Sure he’s looked very good, but I’d be wary of how long that will last. Plenty of players have looked great in short bursts and ended up awful (Ericsson, Kindl, Kampfer, Finger,etc).

Not a contract that will hurt all that much even if he regresses though.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
ENIQiMDWoAA91OM

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
There is no question that young players need to have playing time. I just don’t see putting all those young inexperienced guys on the bottom 4 as a good idea. Sandin might take a step back as well as lilijgren. What do you do if they get sent back down? It’s better to have more veterans and let the kids battle to get into the line up. Leave a spot open on the bottom pairing plus the 7th spot for the kids. If they are playing good they will quickly push guys out.
I think they're all ready and I'd expect the guy brought in to compete with them on the third pairing could be pretty good and may play over them often. A bargain bin deal on a good 3rd pairing guy. A solid #8 that can clear waivers would be smart in case Sandin struggles. Lots of good, high profile PTO's in pre-season to push them. A trade at the deadline depending on how good or bad they're doing could be worked in. I'd pencil them all in right now for next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad