Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Maple Leafs re-sign Justin Holl (3 years, $2M AAV)

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Not a bad deal. If he continues to play the way he's playing this year it's a massive, massive bargain. Remains to be seen whether he can keep this up though. Hrudey recently called him the most improved player in the league this season so he's clearly taken leaps and bounds this year.

Reactions: Saint Blue

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
This is a good deal. Holl has been a pleasant surprise. It was looking like he was going to be a career AHL player but he has really taken advantage of his opportunity. I think he has more to give.

Reactions: Ciao

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Not bad, I guess, but someone with Holl's experience should have been signed for around 1.5 per. I guess the 3 years makes the AAV acceptable but was there a risk Holl would walk?

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Would have like to see this at around 1.5 but it’s all UFA years so it’s not terrible.

Dubas please god don’t resign Ceci.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Not bad, I guess, but someone with Holl's experience should have been signed for around 1.5 per. I guess the 3 years makes the AAV acceptable but was there a risk Holl would walk?

Holl is probably as good if not better than Jensen and he got less money than him (never watched Jen this year no idea if he is still any good). 1.5 would be a massive steal for him. He's been playing top 4 minutes for over half the season on our shutdown pair and been good. You don't get that for 3 years for 1.5.

Reactions: Heritage and 42

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015

Absolutely. There's always a shortage of quality d-men in the nhl. If you're succeeding in a top 4 role on a very good team, you can be sure there'd be at least one team willing to give him an overpayment contract this summer.

Reactions: 42

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
Good deal for TOR... especially that with next year's cap likely not to go up a whole lot (unless the players uses the escalator). Leafs can use every saving that they get to help the team's situation

Last edited by a moderator:

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
4/5 RHD with size and puck moving ability.. also probably the only guy on the team that stands up for his teammates. Good signing. Looks great in Keefe's system (as he did in the Marlies).

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I don’t like. What does Holl bring that Lili doesn’t.

This contract is for next year and onward. They'll both be on the team. Leaves us looking

Rielly - ?????
Dermott - Holl
Sandin - Liljegren

and depending on if we flip someone up front there may be enough money for he who won't be named. Eventually Sandin and/or Liljegren may move up once they prove they deserve it. In the meatime that's a weaker 2nd pair but it's not brutal.

Reactions: Ciao and Magic Man

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Nice to see a career minor leaguer make it at age 27 and then get to sign a bigger contract to secure his future.

win/win

And he'll only be 30 when this deal is up so if he improves he cold have a shot at another 3/4 year deal which makes even better money.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
What a great story. Worked his way up from the ECHL and just kept on getting better. Never got anything handed to him, was given the Leivo treatment from Babcock for awhile and still persevered. Now he's turned himself into a very important piece on the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad