Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Maple Leafs re-sign Justin Holl (3 years, $2M AAV)

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
$14 million left to fill out your roster with about 12 players. That's if the cap stays where it is and doesn't go down again. I have no doubt that wunderkid himself Dubas can work his magic. Maybe trade Matthews and then re-acquire him at 50% retained? :popcorn:
Eat your popcorn, Jim.

The entire forward core (Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Nylander, Hyman, Johnsson, Kapanen, Kerfoot) are signed for next year. Its just the D.

Dermott can be bridged, relatively cheap.

Barrie or Muzzin can be brought back.

A forward, most likely Kapanen/Johnsson, can be moved for a D-man. Even as soon as during this season.

Scenario in which Barrie is brought back:

Rielly-Barrie
Dermott-Holl
Sandin-Liljegren

Scenario in which Muzzin is brought back:

Rielly-Dermott
Muzzin-Holl
Sandin-Liljegren

Pair combos are just my own projecting.

And thats without factoring a move. A lot can happen in a year.

Last time this year, would we expect to have Jake Muzzin? Kadri be on Colorado? To be rid of both Zaitsev and Marleau?

Armchair managing (or trolling) isnt as simple as we make it out to be.

Reactions: Chompchompr

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
He's got like 2 more years waiver exemption after this one. A good rule of thumb is if the players not a goalie(1 extra year) or a late birthday(1 less year, see Timashov) then their waiver exemption runs out when their ELC does.
I just thought I'd already seen it. I thought his situation was different because of years played in the AHL. Should have fact checked.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
$14 million left to fill out your roster with about 12 players. That's if the cap stays where it is and doesn't go down again. I have no doubt that wunderkid himself Dubas can work his magic. Maybe trade Matthews and then re-acquire him at 50% retained? :popcorn:
One of the advantages of having one of the best development systems in today's NHL.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Go down again? When has it ever gone down?

Reactions: Auston Escobar

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

They've already got 12, so they only need 8 more minimum and 11 max.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Holl has been playing some good hockey lately but surprised he secures this kind of deal here.

this is a wait and see contract imo

Reactions: Chompchompr

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
CD390D01-E856-4A5E-BC3B-ECFA856C496C.gif

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
Only Dubas can sign a top 4 dman, on the top team in The league for the last 15+ games to an amazing contract and be criticized for it.

I’m no leaf fan, but with this type of signing, Dubas has set himself up for a big signing (Pietrangelo maybe), and we have all seen Dubas is capable of landing the big free agent fish, unlike previous leaf management

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Except he's been primarily playing on the 2nd pairing with Muzzin over the recent 12-4 stretch.

Not that I agree with that poster (I don't; my comment on the signing is in this very thread), but I don't think the above is necessarily an argument in Holl's favor about what kind of defenseman he is. Jack Johnson's been playing on the top pairing with Letang a lot during the Pens' 10-2 stretch, and has been playing top 4 most of the season. I don't think anyone would use that to argue Johnson's a top pairing defenseman.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Not that I agree with that poster (I don't; my comment on the signing is in this very thread), but I don't think the above is necessarily an argument in Holl's favor about what kind of defenseman he is. Jack Johnson's been playing on the top pairing with Letang a lot during the Pens' 10-2 stretch, and has been playing top 4 most of the season. I don't think anyone would use that to argue Johnson's a top pairing defenseman.

It would be different if Holl was overwhelmed by playing top 4 minutes on the Leafs shutdown pairing, but he’s looked completely comfortable. He’s been the most consistent Leafs defenseman by a county mile this season. The deal is still good if he regresses to a dependable bottom pairing defenseman, although I have confidence he’ll be on the second pairing for a while.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
So you’re telling me Ross Johnston isn’t a top-line winger?

killing me STK

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
So do uneducated posts like yours. But people let it slide.

how is that not brutal? Very curious to hear your explanation....Even if you resign one of Barrie or Muzzin, it’s brutal. If you sign one of them, you can’t get AP without trading a forward. If you sign AP, then you can’t resign Barrie or Muzzin and even then you might have to trade a forward

hill/dermott/sandin/lil in your bottom 4 is not a recipe for success

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
how is that not brutal? Very curious to hear your explanation....Even if you resign one of Barrie or Muzzin, it’s brutal. If you sign one of them, you can’t get AP without trading a forward. If you sign AP, then you can’t resign Barrie or Muzzin and even then you might have to trade a forward

hill/dermott/sandin/lil in your bottom 4 is not a recipe for success

Got the lotto numbers from that crystal ball of yours? Seems like you can predict the future with perfect certainty

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Overpay again for a bottom pairing dman

What did Jensen get last year from Caps? 2.5 x 4. I would say Holl is having the better year on all fronts. Sure it’s for a year less but this is a solid deal for both sides.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->