Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Maple Leafs re-sign Justin Holl (3 years, $2M AAV)

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
He’s a bottom pairing defenceman that’s played 51 games and he’s 27. I wouldn’t call this a steal at all. However it’s a good signing for them.

he is also a converted forward who has not been playing defense for that long yet (compared to most), and is still learning.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
how is that not brutal? Very curious to hear your explanation....Even if you resign one of Barrie or Muzzin, it’s brutal. If you sign one of them, you can’t get AP without trading a forward. If you sign AP, then you can’t resign Barrie or Muzzin and even then you might have to trade a forward

hill/dermott/sandin/lil in your bottom 4 is not a recipe for success
why would you think that, because they are 'young' and not 'stars'
...they are all outstanding puck moving d-men who can handle the puck well, and skate or pass it out of the d-zone and have offensive skill also.
they are also all competent defensively.

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
Good deal for both sides. From what I've seen, Holl is a solid #5 that should have no problem playing heavier minutes as long as he has a competent partner

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
#7, and they're trying to get rid of him.

A rumour that Leafs are discussing moving someone, doesn't necessarily mean it's Holl, and if a young player has made a more expensive one obsolete, allowing them to increase their future pool, that's a positive.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Holl was a legit top 4 dman for good stretches last year. With him struggling this year and Liljegren progressing just swap there positions. If liljegren can progress and be a top 4 dman and Holl on the bottom pair at 2m isn't exactly horrible.

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Holl is a defense first #4 who thrives on a pairing with a good player. At 2m for a #4RHD, he's 100% a valuable asset. He's not going to carry your pair, but for 2m he can play your 2nd pairing RHD slot and do just fine; that's an extremely useful hockey player that a whole lot of teams would love to add. A bad start to a season isn't going to make that a negative asset.

I knew they'd regret this signing.

lol this website :shakehead

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
I knew they'd regret this signing.
Not surprised to see you bump this.

Liljegren surpassing Holl on the depth chart is not an indictment on Holl. Calling him a #7 D is laughable but didn't expect anything less from you.

With a healthy Muzzin, he's proven to be a capable 2nd pair D but needs to be carried. Without Muzzin, he's more of a #5 in a vacuum. 2m for a shutdown RHD who can play 2nd/3rd pair is not regrettable in the slightest :laugh:

He'll likely be moved for a 2nd rounder, which the Leafs can afford to do with their D depth.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
what do people think they're going to get for $2 million on defense in free agency? Names like Gudbranson, Del Zotto. The fact that he already spent a year in the top 4 means he's already provided value on this deal lol. There are a lot of ways to mock the Leafs but this was a terrible attempt.

Reactions: DL44 and Prominence

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->