Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Maple Leafs re-sign Justin Holl (3 years, $2M AAV)

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
I think they're all ready and I'd expect the guy brought in to compete with them on the third pairing could be pretty good and may play over them often. A bargain bin deal on a good 3rd pairing guy. A solid #8 that can clear waivers would be smart in case Sandin struggles. Lots of good, high profile PTO's in pre-season to push them. A trade at the deadline depending on how good or bad they're doing could be worked in. I'd pencil them all in right now for next season.
I don’t think it’s that easy but I hope you’re right cause with the money they have on offence they will need some solid cheap defensemen.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I don’t think it’s that easy but I hope you’re right cause with the money they have on offence they will need some solid cheap defensemen.
I think it's definitely necessary because of the cap. Liljegren needs waivers. Dermott needs a larger role. Sandin may be the best of the bunch. At worst, one of the PTO's in camp take a role from Sandin in pre-season, but this pre-season past he played his way onto the team. I can't bet against him.

There has also been a few times up front where there has been an insurgence all at once of young forwards and it has worked out well every time so far.

Reactions: shortfuze

Mikenusca

Mar 30, 2016
It’s just funny that since he’s a leaf he’s awesome, if he was on Detroit and he was in trade proposals playing the same as he is now, how many leafs fans would say he’s too old and not experienced, etc etc. Look at it from another point of view. Hope it works out for him. Sounds like he’s had a journey to get where he is. Got to love stories like that. Just like another post above how many times has this backfired on such a small sample. But 2 mil won’t make or break the team cap

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
I think it's definitely necessary because of the cap. Liljegren needs waivers. Dermott needs a larger role. Sandin may be the best of the bunch. At worst, one of the PTO's in camp take a role from Sandin in pre-season, but this pre-season past he played his way onto the team. I can't bet against him.

There has also been a few times up front where there has been an insurgence all at once of young forwards and it has worked out well every time so far.
According to CapFriendly Liljegren is waiver exempt.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It’s just funny that since he’s a leaf he’s awesome, if he was on Detroit and he was in trade proposals playing the same as he is now, how many leafs fans would say he’s too old and not experienced, etc etc. Look at it from another point of view. Hope it works out for him. Sounds like he’s had a journey to get where he is. Got to love stories like that. Just like another post above how many times has this backfired on such a small sample. But 2 mil won’t make or break the team cap

Don't think there's much risk involved. Worst case scenario you're paying $2 million to a bottom pairing defender. Though I suppose the only consideration is if the youngsters need to play and you need that extra cap space elsewhere.

Face Of Bear

Jul 30, 2012
Pretty low risk contract imo. If Holl keeps playing like he has it'll be great value for the Leafs.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

You mean like when Detroit traded Jensen for a 2nd + prospect after he started full time at 27?

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
should've held out for more money, justin. but seriously congrats on your deal.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Well, fans of his team who have been following his development for years likely have more insight on how to feel about thr guy. Hes been with the organization for years now.

I can see why fans of other teams who likely didnt even know Holls name until now may be a bit perplexed. But context is key here

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I could of swore that was different at one point. That's actually really good news. They can let him sit and develop for years, not that I think they will. I'm happy.

He's got like 2 more years waiver exemption after this one. A good rule of thumb is if the players not a goalie(1 extra year) or a late birthday(1 less year, see Timashov) then their waiver exemption runs out when their ELC does.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Been the Leafs' best defenseman in his own zone most games I watch them. Tough to say he's a good D finally breaking out or if he's a bad D just having a good year. I think I'd bet on the former but definitely not a sure thing.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Well I'm just thinking if they manage to land Pietrangelo every 100k will count.

While that's correct, if they got Pietrangelo they'd really need a cheap guy who's capable to playing in their top 4(see Holl, Justin). Expecting anyone better than Holl for less than 2 million would be a pretty dumb reason to argue over 100k. They'd probably end up either having to pay someone more than that this offseason, or have Liljegren or a worse player in their top 4 and this is coming from someone who was hoping they could do something like 3 x 1.5. I can stomach the extra 500k for what it means. It's not a great statement, but we need someone like Holl.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
$14 million left to fill out your roster with about 12 players. That's if the cap stays where it is and doesn't go down again. I have no doubt that wunderkid himself Dubas can work his magic. Maybe trade Matthews and then re-acquire him at 50% retained? :popcorn:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad