Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Maple Leafs re-sign Justin Holl (3 years, $2M AAV)

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Thrilled with this deal. He's been great this year and getting a cheap RHD locked in for 3 years is huge for us. He's been playing like a top4 guy, but this is 3rd pairing money. Even if he is just a flash in the pan and a 3rd pairing guy, this is a good contract. If he keeps playing well in 2nd pairing minutes (he's played shutdown minutes with Muzzin a lot) then this contract is brilliant.

Big, skates well, defends well enough, has a good first pass and some nice offensive instincts. Lots to like about the player and amazing how well he's done to seize the opportunity. Five months ago I was certain that he sucked, now I'm overjoyed to have him locked in.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
This contract is for next year and onward. They'll both be on the team. Leaves us looking

Rielly - ?????
Dermott - Holl
Sandin - Liljegren

and depending on if we flip someone up front there may be enough money for he who won't be named. Eventually Sandin and/or Liljegren may move up once they prove they deserve it. In the meatime that's a weaker 2nd pair but it's not brutal.
This looks brutal...

Reactions: Neutral Hockey Fan

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Damn surprised Dubas didn't pull up with a truck full of cash like he did with all his other signings.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
This is Toronto's Mayfield contract.

Great signing from Dubas. 3 years is what makes this a win, especially considering how good Holl has looked on the shutdown pair with Muzzin. Probably the only formidable pair that can defend consistently.

This looks brutal...
Probably looks closer to:

Rielly - UFA/TRADE
Dermott - Muzzin/Barrie
Sandin - Holl/Liljegren

A lot is still up in the air, but you can expect to see one of Barrie/Muzzin retained, with the other + Ceci walking.

Reactions: paul9kariya

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
holl sucked in 11 games last year but hes been very good this year in more games. i like it, low-risk possible high reward. holl seems like at worst a decent player and if this year is legit then he could be a good top-4 option.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Wait is is 3 million for 2 years? Or other way around? If its 2 mill it's a little high since holl is unproven but he should be able to outlay the deal pretty easily

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Damn surprised Dubas didn't pull up with a truck full of cash like he did with all his other signings.

Who is Kasperi Kapanen?
Who is Andreas Johnsson?
Who is Alex Kerfoot?
Who is Jason Spezza?

I know that you're joking, but it's a dumb joke. Maybe it will be relevant again if Sandin is a star and needs a big RFA deal in a few years.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Gotta be a bit of a trip for the guy that when 2019 started he probably figured he was destined for a career in Europe and on the last day of the year he is signing a deal for 6 million. Pretty awesome to see and he has played great too.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
This contract is for next year and onward. They'll both be on the team. Leaves us looking

Rielly - ?????
Dermott - Holl
Sandin - Liljegren

and depending on if we flip someone up front there may be enough money for he who won't be named. Eventually Sandin and/or Liljegren may move up once they prove they deserve it. In the meatime that's a weaker 2nd pair but it's not brutal.
Pietrangelo woul look really good in that spot

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Gotta be a bit of a trip for the guy that when 2019 started he probably figured he was destined for a career in Europe and on the last day of the year he is signing a deal for 6 million. Pretty awesome to see and he has played great too.

It is 3 years at 2 million per, so 6 million.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Who is Kasperi Kapanen?
Who is Andreas Johnsson?
Who is Alex Kerfoot?
Who is Jason Spezza?

I know that you're joking, but it's a dumb joke. Maybe it will be relevant again if Sandin is a star and needs a big RFA deal in a few years.

Dont rielly and andersen need contracts like next year?(maybe 2 years i cant remember)… I imagine well find out then

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
This looks brutal...

So let’s say we somehow land Pietrangelo for around 8.5-9. It would be super tight but now our D looks like this:

Rielly Pietrangelo
Sandin Holl
Dermott Liljegren

Look it’s not ideal but I think the D would be stronger on our top pairing. Obviously we have no idea what we have in Liljegren and Sandin for a full NHL season but we don’t have much choice.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Unreal signing. If Holl can continue playing as he has this season this is an absolute steal. Even at worse thats not bad for a solid bottom pairing D if he regresses and he brings physicality and defensive play to the team. Big fan of this.
He’s a bottom pairing defenceman that’s played 51 games and he’s 27. I wouldn’t call this a steal at all. However it’s a good signing for them.

Reactions: Dubcity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad