Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Ilya Mikheyev signs extension (2 years, $1.645M AAV)

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
Whats with Leafs players and soup?

a6977b6adb28399a7cdf48fbe707ca49.jpg
Leafs have a soup guy every ~5 years it seems... Andrew Soupy Campbell previously held the honour before Ilya Soupy Mikheyev

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
No one is mentioning the REAL story:
Mikheyev stepped off his original ask, because he wanted to fit in and play for the Cup.

You wanted a player to ask and get less.....you got it!

what was his ask? and before you say it, his arvitration filing # is not his real ask.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Was smart of Mikheyev to do this. By negotiating his own contract he could weigh more money into the 2nd ywar and take home more money over the next 2 years than he would in an equivalent arbitration result.

creative cap work that will probably be leveraged by more of these arbitration cases.

Reactions: Magic Man

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I was thinking the same. Hes probably worth around $3 million per, but because of the rules he'll have to settle for about half that. He was honestly excellent last year before that freak injury where he had a skate cut his arm/wrist. I can see him being a 60 point winger, which will likely price him out of Toronto after this contract.

Kind of a bold prediction considering he was scoring like a 60 point winger (pace/82) in the KHL at the ages of 23 & 24. Typically guys who end up scoring 60 points in the NHL were doing better in the K.

Last season was the most important season of his career so he probably worked/prepared as hard as he could, and considering he's 26 chances are there's limited potential left to achieve.

As much as it's possible he can do well on the 2nd line full-time and build on last year, it's also possible we already saw his best hockey which would mean he can play worse. 39 games really isn't much of a sample size when it comes to projecting full season totals and consistency.

I was expecting something between 2-2.5M but good for the Leafs they got him for cheaper. Don't get me wrong, i like Mikheyev and saw him play in the KHL as well. But am i sold on him being a full-time 2nd liner? Not really. I could see him settling down as a 3rd liner who provides depth scoring and gets bumped up to the top 6 every now and then. He often looks good but it takes more than that to produce almost every night.

Jury is still out.

Last edited:

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
So right now the Leafs are cap compliant if Sandin and Engvall start in the minors and Boyd/Marincin eat popcorn. Barely. If they want Engvall in they have to run 21 man roster.

Does this mean Dermott is gone? Lehtonen is killing it in the KHL.

Engvall and Dermott in, Boyd and Marincin sent down

varano

Jun 27, 2013
I'm actually a bit surprised the AAV is so low. I guess he's only got around half a season worth of bargaining power, but he performed like a middle six winger in those games. I'd think that's worth at least $2 million per.

Maybe the combination of COVID and his limited games played factored in and he's just happy to be a millionaire for the next two years.
Ultimately, what would he use as a comparison? He didn't really play alot and he doesn't have multiple seasons to go back to.... I think it's fair for both sides. He can make good bank after next year when the leafs can't afford him anymore

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
IIRC the arbiter just sets the number, the Leafs would have gotten to decide one year or two so they certainly would have picked 2. And based on where the comparisons were at, 1.6 seems like about what the arbiter would have gone with. I see this deal as essentially a deal that went to arbitration.

2 years puts him as a UFA. I think 1 would have kept him as an RFA, so leafs probably choose 1 year if it went to arbitration. Although, they did offer 2 x 1 million, so maybe they couldn't care less about the contract ending in UFA status. *Shrugs*

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Kind of a bold prediction considering he was scoring like a 60 point winger (pace/82) in the KHL at the ages of 23 & 24. Typically guys who end up scoring 60 points in the NHL were doing better in the K.

Last season was the most important season of his career so he probably worked/prepared as hard as he could, and considering he's 26 chances are there's limited potential left to achieve.

As much as it's possible he can do well on the 2nd line full-time and build on last year, it's also possible we already saw his best hockey which would mean he can play worse. 39 games really isn't much of a sample size when it comes to projecting full season totals and consistency.

I was expecting something between 2-2.5M but good for the Leafs they got him for cheaper. Don't get me wrong, i like Mikheyev and saw him play in the KHL as well. But am i sold on him being a full-time 2nd liner? Not really. I could see him settling down as a 3rd liner who provides depth scoring and gets bumped up to the top 6 every now and then. He often looks good but it takes more than that to produce almost every night.

Jury is still out.
This is my take, he only played 39 games last year, so he is kind of unproven still. Played 5 in the playoffs and was pointless. So while 1.65 for 2 years is not a major investment, it is when cap dollars are scarce right now with some RFA's not even being qualified. It's a new cap world today. He should be a 3rd line. Not sure you want him in the top 6.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
What a frigen good contract. It helps us out a whole lot that he kept that hit low.

Big body winger that has speed to burn and seems to mesh well with anyone.
The injury knocked him back a bit..really couldn't get his legs going.

I have zero worry about soup not finding his next gear.
He will be a perfect utility winger in this lineup..

Reactions: Ginger Papa

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018

KHL stats are such a mystery box because they're so team dependent. He led his team in scoring with 38 points in 2017-18. Led them again the next year.

Of course, after 39 games the jury is definitely out. But even if he's only a 15-20 goal, 40-50 point winger who's competent defensively and great on the PK, I'm perfectly happy.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
It sounds like a great story to get fans excited. It appears to have worked.

It's called having an understanding of the current economic landscape, and doing what's best for both parties.

Analyze, and understand the details, and it quickly becomes apparent why this happened this way.

1st year salary, $1.1 million
2nd year salary $ 2.19 million

Average $1.645 million.

This is a hedge against a shortened season, where it's appearing as though there will be significant escrow, and even a potential to reduce salaries, if there are less games than expected. There might not be fans in seats, and the probability that the 2021/22 season is affected, is less than the 2020/21 season. This is a bet, that he'll actually earn more money, by taking a larger amount in year two, and sacrificing year one some, as opposed to something like a $1.8 in each season. Welcome to the Covid hedge contract.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
This is my take, he only played 39 games last year, so he is kind of unproven still. Played 5 in the playoffs and was pointless. So while 1.65 for 2 years is not a major investment, it is when cap dollars are scarce right now with some RFA's not even being qualified. It's a new cap world today. He should be a 3rd line. Not sure you want him in the top 6.
IMO you need those Hyman type players in the top 6 and Mikheyev reminds me of a more skilled Hyman

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
KHL stats are such a mystery box because they're so team dependent. He led his team in scoring with 38 points in 2017-18. Led them again the next year.

Of course, after 39 games the jury is definitely out. But even if he's only a 15-20 goal, 40-50 point winger who's competent defensively and great on the PK, I'm perfectly happy.
Good signing. Guy is a player, who shows up every shift. Considering the high likelihood of a very condensed schedule, and extra travel of a Canadian division, the older guys (Jumbo and Simmonds) will likely need some games off. Mikey can play up and down the lineup as needed. He’s kind of a fair priced Swiss Army Knife.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
If we can get Dermott for 1.2 then that will leave 968k for 1 spare. 1 of Sandin, Lehtonen, Lilj, Vesey, Barabanov or Korshkov.

Mikheyev-Matthews-Marner
Hyman-Tavares-Nylander
Robertson-Thornton-Kerfoot
Engvall-Speeza-Simmonds

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
Dermott-Bogosian

Anderson
Campbell

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Great deal by the Leafs, I was expecting 2.25-2.5 to be honest. Very good off season by the Leafs. I feel they addressed all the concerns people had about the composition of the team. Brodie is a huge piece, adding good leadership and grit to the bottom 6 and they were still able to add futures and shed cap in the Kapanen and Johnsson deals, while not losing skill (Mikheyev and Robertson should replace Kap and AJ). I think the Leafs had the most productive off season on paper. I am looking forward to watching them play this year, unfortunately the Canuck fan in me does want them to fail miserably but Leaf fans must be stoked with the way this off season went.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
Very happy with this contract. He seemed to be improving every game before the injury happened.

I can see him lining up alongside Tavares this season and assuming he makes at least a marginal improvement in production, this deal looks great.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad