Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Ilya Mikheyev signs extension (2 years, $1.645M AAV)

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
KHL stats are such a mystery box because they're so team dependent. He led his team in scoring with 38 points in 2017-18. Led them again the next year.

Of course, after 39 games the jury is definitely out. But even if he's only a 15-20 goal, 40-50 point winger who's competent defensively and great on the PK, I'm perfectly happy.

That's a good point. Omsk was a good team but not the offensive powerhouse some other guys have transitioned from to NHL. Then again many guys who don't have a chance at top 6 spot in the NHL ever posted similar or better numbers in comparable situations around the league. He obviously has better tools for the NHL than many of those guys, but the point is, he was never one of the top stars over there.

Regardless, this contract can't be bad. All im saying is, i see a lot of people expecting things he hasn't done yet from him when to me it should be the other way around, expect him to be a middle 6 guy like he was this past season, hope for better.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto

Great deal, provides some flexibility for the next two years and we get to see what this kid can do fully healthy and with 82 games. Provided we get to play 82 games next season, not likely but whatever the number of games a fully healthy Mikheyev with an expanded role should show us what he has.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Strange that he would sign with the Leafs if that's the case.
Fandom-tinted glasses aside, if you take a look at just that roster without the logos beside it, it is pretty clearly one of the stronger teams in the NHL. They have underperformed in the playoffs for the past few years. Then again, so did Tampa until 2020, St. Louis until 2019 and Washington until 2018.
Not saying they are among the top-tier favourites to win it all next year, but hard to say a roster with that much talent and now a lot more experience doesn’t have a fair shot.

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
I really am expecting a Dermott trade soon, unless they are gonna try Thornton at 3c at move Kerfoot.
Personally I think Lehtonen is our best 3LD and would be ok with trading Dermott for a 2nd

It would be dumb to sell low on Dermott, he's got plenty of room for growth. Dont forget he was dealing with an injury.

I would much rather move Engvall.

Reactions: qqaz and JohnnyT91

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
So right now the Leafs are cap compliant if Sandin and Engvall start in the minors and Boyd/Marincin eat popcorn. Barely. If they want Engvall in they have to run 21 man roster.

Does this mean Dermott is gone? Lehtonen is killing it in the KHL.
:skeptic:

On Cap Friendly, Engvall is already buried but they're still a bit under $200K over the cap.

The waiver-exempt player are Robertson, Lehtonen and Sandin.

Sending Sandin/Lehtonen down will leave them with 6 d-men on the active roster, and a 21-player roster.

They could play yo-yo with Sandin/Lehtonen, but not Robertson.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
On Cap Friendly, Marincin is already down and Engvall is buried.

Even if they send Boyd down, they don't have the money to have Engvall and Dermott in.

Boyd, Robertson, Sandin down

Dermott re-signs and Engvall stays

Better to have the formers available for injury call up than dealing Dermott or Engvall at a loss

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Boyd, Robertson, Sandin down

Dermott re-signs and Engvall stays

Better to have the formers available for injury call up than dealing Dermott or Engvall at a loss
Quite different from the post I quoted.

If Robertson goes, he's out for the year as he will go to junior (unless there's an emergency recall).

With these moves, $1,165634 would be available to resign Dermott. Is that sufficient ?

Are the Leafs prepared to let him go with no compensation ?

An offer sheet of $1,439,820 or less entails no compensation.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland

If Robertson goes, he's out for the year as he will go to junior (unless there's an emergency recall).

With these moves, $1,165634 would be available to resign Dermott. Is that sufficient ?

I don't think the ohl will play this season.Is Robertson allowed to play in the AHL ?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Teams don't use offersheets on non star players so I doubt they consider it even a concern.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Great price for us, great term for Soupy (straight to UFA). We really need the cap these next 2 years, so I’m cool with trading term for price.

Hopefully we can re-sign him in the future before he becomes a UFA, but that’s a worry for another day. For now we get a big, fast, skilled, physical 2-way winger at a very nice price :)

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

OHL most likely doesn’t happen and if that’s the case Robertson may become AHL eligible.

Yes that’s enough for Dermott, if not too much. With the financial landscape of the NHL right now no one is OS Dermott.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009

As much as we all want to see Robertson with the Leafs, we have a lot of other options who will probably be able to have same or better contribution. Best scenario with him for the Leafs is the OHL doesn't run and he gets to develop with the Marlies and Dubas will get him a few NHL games here and there to keep him motivated.

I anticipate the Leafs giving Dermott 1 year x $1.25 million and running with 12 forwards and 7 defenseman.

What team is going to offer sheet Demott? Every team has similar type players and every team is tight for money right now. Dermott is not the player a team would look to offer sheet right now. There are much better players if a team was actually going to down that path.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Fandom-tinted glasses aside, if you take a look at just that roster without the logos beside it, it is pretty clearly one of the stronger teams in the NHL. They have underperformed in the playoffs for the past few years. Then again, so did Tampa until 2020, St. Louis until 2019 and Washington until 2018.
Not saying they are among the top-tier favourites to win it all next year, but hard to say a roster with that much talent and now a lot more experience doesn’t have a fair shot.
And other than the play-in series last year vs CBJ, the Leafs have faced arguably the toughest first round opponents comparing their overall records.

The 1st year with the big 3 the Leafs made the last wildcard spot after finishing dead last the previous season. Their reward was to play against the president's trophy winning Capitals who had 118 points that year. Lost in 6 and even had the lead in the series at one point. Leafs were underdogs

The 2nd year the Leafs finish with the 7th best record in the league, 4th best in the East and their first-round opponent is the Bruins who finished with the 4th best record in the league and 2nd in the East. The Pens and Flyers were the 5th and 6th best records in the East that year and had the opportunity to play each other in the first round...what other major sport has the 2v4 and 5v6 seeds in the first round?? Leafs lose in 7 and were underdogs in the series going in.

The 3rd year (first with JT) the Leafs finish again with the 7th best record in the league, 5th in the East and their first-round opponent again was the Bruins who finished with the 3rd best record in the league this time and 2nd in the East. Isles were the 4th seed and had the chance to play the 6th seed while the 2nd seed Bruins plays the 5th seed Leafs. Again...what other sport has 2v4 and 4v6 in the first round? Leafs lose again in 7 and again were the underdogs in the series.

The Leafs will break through eventually and the point of revisiting the past struggles of this club is that it's not like they were losing to random crappy teams that weren't going to win the cup. Washington lost in the next round to the eventual cup winners, won the next year. The Bruins were arguably the best team in the NHL the past 3 years stretch aside from the Bolts.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
(1) I anticipate the Leafs giving Dermott 1 year x $1.25 million and running with 12 forwards and 7 defenseman.

(2) What team is going to offer sheet Demott? Every team has similar type players and every team is tight for money right now. Dermott is not the player a team would look to offer sheet right now. There are much better players if a team was actually going to down that path.
(1) $1.25M is a bit more than is available after the moves in the post I quoted.

(2) How many better players are available for free ? Detroit, Ottawa, New Jersey, Buffalo, Los Angeles, Nashville, Florida would not be interested ?

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
(1) $1.25M is a bit more than is available after the moves in the post I quoted.

(2) How many better players are available for free ? Detroit, Ottawa, New Jersey, Buffalo, Los Angeles, Nashville, Florida would not be interested ?

I think Tampa and maybe NYI will be first on the offersheet hit list come opening day, as they will be forced to waive a player of consequence in order to become compliant. I do agree though that the zero compensation RFAs should receive far greater interest than they have. Last season DeAngelo and Lemieux both signed 1y 925k and Mangiapane signed 2-way 715k. Hard to believe no team was willing to beat those numbers.

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Dubad killing it this offseason.

Dell
Boyd
Bogosian
Vesey
Anderson
Brodie
Thornton
Dell: will he pass through waivers ?
Boyd: some fans are mentioning him being buried to allow for Dermott to be signed. If so, will he pass through waivers ?
Anderson: RFA that needs to be signed.

Good summer, but nothing to crow about from the rooftops (unless you meant something else by "killing it"...

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009

1. The cap will obviously fluctuate depending on how they decide to structure the team. Sure the Leafs could stick it to Dermott with the cap but there are no instances that I can recall where Dubas basically told a player tough. It is this or nothing. Even with Mikheyev going into arbitration, Dubas still gave him a good and fair contract in my opinion. I know it is rumoured that he took less and all that but imo the Leafs case for arbitration was pretty strong. Dubas worked out a deal to avoid potential bad blood due to arbitration and also to be in control of the situation with Mikheyev. So is Dubas going to squeeze Dermott for under $1 million. He might but I am still expecting Dermott to get closer to $1.25 million.

2. According to Capfriendly. Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

A sampling of the list of RFAs who I would offer sheet over Dermott, in no particular order
- Ryan Pulock
- Mikhail Sergachev
- Mackenzie Weegar
- Vince Dunn
- Ethan Bear
- Erik Cenak
- Phillippe Myers

Offer sheets are rare at the best of times. If a player is going to be offer sheeted, it will almost certainly be for a difference-maker.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad