Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Ilya Mikheyev signs extension (2 years, $1.645M AAV)

Spargon

May 31, 2019
Showed some good flashes in the regular season but I was very unimpressed by his lack of involvement in the playoffs. He also concerns me in terms of being one of those players that might not be good enough to actually finish at the NHL level even if he can create chances.

He was coming back from 6 months off with a severely lacerated wrist with tendon damage. I wouldn't put a lot of stock into his playoffs.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

JGuardz

Dec 22, 2009
:skeptic:

The 2-year term has absolutely nothing to do with that.

Yes it does? The player elected for arbitration so the team gets to choose between a 1 or 2 year deal in arbitration. Mikheyev basically pigeonholed himself into a 2 year or longer deal by electing for arbitration.

JGuardz

Dec 22, 2009
Nope.

It wasn't an arbitration decision.

Could have been a 1, 2, 3, 4, 5... -year contract.

The point he’s trying to make is that 1 wasn’t on the table as soon as Mikheyev elected for arb. It was gonna be a minimum 2 year deal based on that fact alone.

Reactions: Saint Blue

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Mikheyev is such an energizer player. A real beautiful skater with such an attitude. Other teams would have paid more cause they WANT HIM HARD. Don't be alarmed leafs fans once again, cause others could get jelious of all these. This was so cheap as a deal and mikheyev brings much more to the table. He is fast, hits, pk killa and all. This letter was cheap. :clap: Thank you so much gm dubas again for this one. You already changed our philosophy, your philosophy and our current roster. We got thugs, hittas, workers, comedians and energizers now. We the best like khaled already knew. Bring the pain.

Reactions: Smif

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
The point he’s trying to make is that 1 wasn’t on the table as soon as Mikheyev elected for arb. It was gonna be a minimum 2 year deal based on that fact alone.
It wasn't ?

If the player had said "$1M for one year or more for 2+ years", the Leafs would still have insisted on 2+ years ?

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Nice deal. Figured that with the Leafs' cap situation being so tight (and with COVID19 making practically everyone's cap situation so tight) he would sign for a very low AAV, however I would have thought it would just be for 1 year. Excellent move by Toronto to get him for a second year at that low cap hit.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Leafs are just about set.

Line 1 LW Hyman C Matthews RW Nylander
Line 2 LW Mikheyev C Tavares RW Marner
Line 3 LW Robertson C Thornton RW Kerfoot
Line 4 LW Engvall C Spezza RW Simmonds

1st Pair LD Rielly RD Brodie
2nd Pair LD Muzzin RD Holl
3rd Pair LD Lehtonen RD Bogosian

Goalies:
Starter: Andersen
Backup: Campbell

Scratches:
LW Vesey
C Boyd
LD Dermott

Vesey will go in for one of the bottom 6 LWs or Simmonds
Dermott will go in for Bogo, which might be most of the season. If Lehtonen doesn't work, they could rotate the 3 of them.
Maybe even Rosen
Where is Barabanov?

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
No one is mentioning the REAL story:
Mikheyev stepped off his original ask, because he wanted to fit in and play for the Cup.

You wanted a player to ask and get less.....you got it!

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Whats with Leafs players and soup?

a6977b6adb28399a7cdf48fbe707ca49.jpg

Sundin was just chasing advertising dollars. Mikheyev got sponsored because in his first major interview he said his favourite food was soup. It caught on and became his nickname and he picked up a sponsorship he really wouldn’t have had otherwise.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
He's worth 2x that now probably.
I was thinking the same. Hes probably worth around $3 million per, but because of the rules he'll have to settle for about half that. He was honestly excellent last year before that freak injury where he had a skate cut his arm/wrist. I can see him being a 60 point winger, which will likely price him out of Toronto after this contract.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I was thinking the same. Hes probably worth around $3 million per, but because of the rules he'll have to settle for about half that. He was honestly excellent last year before that freak injury where he had a skate cut his arm/wrist. I can see him being a 60 point winger, which will likely price him out of Toronto after this contract.
He's my favorite Leaf, ahead of Marner & Taveres. 50-60 peak shouldn't be too difficult in that top6. Red Wings are flush with W's, especially in the bottom 6, even 2 years from now, that is the only deep part of our prospect pool, otherwise I'd love to sign him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad