Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] G Martin Jones signs with the Maple Leafs (1 year, $875k)

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
Meh.

Cheap waiver fodder 3rd stringer.
Probably better than having to throw raw rookies into the fire should injuries mount.
About as minor a move as anyone could make really.
Surprised there’s even a full page of comments for such a trivial signing. Dog days of summer I guess.

FiveHoleo

Jul 31, 2021
So the LTIR on Murray looks a bit more legit. It's a cosmetic move, and if Jones doesn't get poached the Marlies have a goalie. If Woll gets hurt in training camp or something it means the team won't have to sign Michael Hutchinson for the 4th time or bring some turd in from the KHL at the start of the year.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Everyone loves to shit on Jones but he's not that bad, and I want to see Woll get more starts. I hate to see money wasted on a playoff failure like Samsonov.

Playoffs is all that matters, where the difference between Jones and Samsonov is negligible. Hell Jones has actually taken a team to a SCF.

This team is only going as far as Woll takes them regardless

He has taken a team to the SCF 7 years ago.

33 years old Jones is not 26 years old Jones.

Even 29 years old Jones was getting carried in the POs.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
He has taken a team to the SCF 7 years ago.

33 years old Jones is not 26 years old Jones.

Even 29 years old Jones was getting carried in the POs.
Sounds pretty similar to Samsonov like we established earlier, but way cheaper

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I don't know that it has been fully articulated, but Martin Jones is not an NHL goaltender. He's not an NHL starter, he's not an NHL backup. He is third or fourth-string AHL fodder, if that (which is what Toronto is paying him for).

Bowski

GO LEAFS GO!
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
Elite Day. Elite Goaltending. Elite Offseason for Toronto.

E agerly
L avish
I n
T he
E nd
You are so damn weird, Jeff Martin avatar.
cooked-myself-turkey-kramer.gif

Pucklington

Mar 24, 2008
Köln
Who's Toronto's backup? I'm assuming he fills into 3rd slot. Had good record last year, but his actual performance was what you expect from him regarding SV%, GSAA, ect...

Basically he is a goalie that you can play sometimes if you really need to.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Everyone loves to shit on Jones but he's not that bad, and I want to see Woll get more starts. I hate to see money wasted on a playoff failure like Samsonov.

Playoffs is all that matters, where the difference between Jones and Samsonov is negligible. Hell Jones has actually taken a team to a SCF.

This team is only going as far as Woll takes them regardless

Not that bad??? He finished last season with an .886 sv%, and that was after his good start to the season where he had like a .915% sv percentage. How bad were his numbers after that to get it down to .886? My guess is not good at all!!!

Is a goalie lighting it up a good thing or a bad thing?

At a campfire sure!

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Can't see TOR putting Woll on waivers. Martin Jones will be on waivers before the start of the season and quite possibly claimed by someone at that number.

I don't think he's getting claimed. He was pretty lousy last year and for a few years before that.

He sat untouched on the free agent pile for well over a month despite obviously having a very low ask.

The Leafs will be able to waive him down to the minors no problem.

Reactions: Gainesvillain

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
I don't think he's getting claimed. He was pretty lousy last year and for a few years before that.

He sat untouched on the free agent pile for well over a month despite obviously having a very low ask.

The Leafs will be able to waive him down to the minors no problem.
Leaf’s probably thought the same thing when they signed Dell last year . I think he’s about 50 /50 to get claimed . Goalie carousel in the nhl is comical at times .

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00