Confirmed with Link: [TOR/FLA] Denis Malgin for Mason Marchment

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Anyone else find it a little weird we traded with Florida?

I do, yea. My assumption here is that FLA were going to waive him and reached out to the GMs ahead of time to see if anyone wanted to spare an asset for him. Leafs need the forward depth right now with all the injuries and may have been the only ones to offer anything. FLA probably assumed Leafs could get a Malgin-level replacement somewhere in the league so why not let it be FLA that benefits from it by getting an asset to a player they would otherwise lose on waivers.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Anyone else find it a little weird we traded with Florida?

That was my initial reaction, especially considering both the standings and Malgin's definite edge in NHL experience. Maybe the one way (Malgin) versus two way (Marchment) contract played a part? Completing a trade at least eliminates any waivers concern for either team. In any case, decent enough start for Malgin in the blue and white.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I do, yea. My assumption here is that FLA were going to waive him and reached out to the GMs ahead of time to see if anyone wanted to spare an asset for him. Leafs need the forward depth right now with all the injuries and may have been the only ones to offer anything. FLA probably assumed Leafs could get a Malgin-level replacement somewhere in the league so why not let it be FLA that benefits from it by getting an asset to a player they would otherwise lose on waivers.

They must somehow like Marchment because if they weren't confident that he can contribute then they're taking risks. Assuming Malgin either puts up a lot of points in total until the end of the season or he scores a few points against Florida in those two games remaining...imagine what happens if Florida also misses the playoffs because of it? Tallon and co would be blamed for this deal. And even if you don't like the player, you have to see that with his skillset, Malgin is absolutely capabable of sinking Florida in those two games at least. So I still don't get it. Why willingly risk your credibility, maybe even your job?

Also, Malgin saying that he hasn't asked for a trade outta Florida is probably just semantics. Hard to imagine his agent repeadedly asking Tallon for a trade without consulting his client first.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
They must somehow like Marchment because if they weren't confident that he can contribute then they're taking risks. Assuming Malgin either puts up a lot of points in total until the end of the season or he scores a few points against Florida in those two games remaining...imagine what happens if Florida also misses the playoffs because of it? Tallon and co would be blamed for this deal. And even if you don't like the player, you have to see that with his skillset, Malgin is absolutely capabable of sinking Florida in those two games at least. So I still don't get it. Why willingly risk your credibility, maybe even your job?

Also, Malgin saying that he hasn't asked for a trade outta Florida is probably just semantics. Hard to imagine his agent repeadedly asking Tallon for a trade without consulting his client first.

It was probably him wanting a bigger role with the team. Not that he wanted to leave Florida but he'd rather be in someone else's middle-6 than Florida's 4th line.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
It was probably him wanting a bigger role with the team. Not that he wanted to leave Florida but he'd rather be in someone else's middle-6 than Florida's 4th line.

Of course. Still doesn't explain why they traded him to Toronto though...of all teams. If they just wanted to lose him then they could have waived him even if Toronto was the only team willing to trade for him. Marchment isn't likely to ever become an NHL-player. Weird. But maybe Florida liked him just enough to do the deal.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Just a weird deal. It is really a NHLer for someone who might make it to the NHL, even though the maybe NHLer is two yrs older.
Looks a lot like what Dubas did with Leivo except Leivo is playing on the West while Panthers traded a NHLer to their playoff rival.

bonjovi0308

Jan 26, 2003
Toronto
Visit site

Yeah, if I'm the panthers I would probably ask for Marchment + a pick or +Timashov for Malgin if insisting Marchment to be included in a deal....

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Just a weird deal. It is really a NHLer for someone who might make it to the NHL, even though the maybe NHLer is two yrs older.
Looks a lot like what Dubas did with Leivo except Leivo is playing on the West while Panthers traded a NHLer to their playoff rival.

The playoff rival thing is the curious part. I'd understand if they just gave up on him or wanted to grant his trade request and therefore waived him or traded him to some other team for as little as future considerations. But to trade such a gifted player to your rival with two games left against them is just stupid. Sorry to say. Malgin could continue his inconsistent play for the rest of the season...if he sinks the Panthers in those two games with a few points or just a gamewinner then Tallon is gonna have to answer a lot of questions...especially since losses in those two games could easily cause them to miss the playoffs.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
So far, so good! We're due for one of these type of guys to do well given that the Shores, Petans, and Abergs of the world didn't quite pan out.

Reactions: Nylander88

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
It's bizarre that Florida essentially gave us a free 2-way winger... only 23 years old? Why would they gift us this? I get he wanted out... but to give him to your divisional rival who you're chasing for a playoff spot is just weird. I'll take it though... he's got heart and energy and brought it every shift. Just one game, but looks like robbery for the Leafs. Marchment was a career AHL'er.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
I disagree about Kadri. He is not a 30 goal scorer, and he will probably never come close to that again. Last season in Toronto, he was invisible and did f*ck all. He was a diminishing asset. I don't think we got a good return, but I didn't mind trading him.

I don't know, quick look at his stats right now and he seems to be on that pace or fairly close. They changed his role last year guy and it showed in the reults I don't think he is diminishing at all. He will make Leaf Land understand how bad a deal that was.

daveleaf

Mar 23, 2010
Canada
Same player that was a big part of why Leafs were knocked out of 1st round? Twice ?

I disagree. He played great the first time we played them. That game he was suspended, go back and look at the game. Just before that, little dman from Boston stuck out his leg and tried to take his knee out. Right in front of the official. No call, that is playoff hockey so Kadri took it on his own, because this team has no back bone and ran him himself. Say what you want but the officiating was different from that point on. There was enough skill on that ice to win one of two games from the Bruins to advance but they caved. That was not Kadri's fault, that was the TEAMS fault. I know you guys like to blame ONE player but the TEAM lost the series.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I don't know, quick look at his stats right now and he seems to be on that pace or fairly close. They changed his role last year guy and it showed in the reults I don't think he is diminishing at all. He will make Leaf Land understand how bad a deal that was.
The bolded is a major reason for the trade imo. The players are a close second to this.
His role on the team changed because he was not out playing Matthew's or Tavares which left him as the 3rd line C.
For that rile he was a bad fit and too expensive. Add in that he shot us in the foot in the playoffs twice and, imo, that trade was good.

Reactions: kb

daveleaf

Mar 23, 2010
Canada
Yep, 30 goals in a third line role.

Oh wait.....

No context needed, right champ?

None needed Einstein. He played his role very well. Always was put up against the other teams best centre and did pretty good. Made himself good in the faceoff circle. Stats are there, he scored 30+ in two seasons. You guys like numbers, according to stats he has 19 goals in 51 games which gives him .373 goals per game. You guys like to extrapolate that, he should have 11.56 goals over the remainder. To me, even if he has 25, in the role he plays, that is invaluable. It amazes me the knuckleheads on here who don't and can't understand GRIT is what wins championships, not talent alone. How many Stanley Cup runs does a player come out of no where to have a great run and it always seems to be a third line guy. I would take Kadri over Barrie and Kerfoot anyday and Sakic is the better GM for it.

stewpac

Nov 30, 2015
He played better in his first game than any game Marchment ever played for the leafs. Although he was given a better situation to succeeded. Maglin seems like a good filler until we get healthy and Marchment was never going to do that for us. Overall good trade.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Aparently this is this guys MO, he plays like an All star one game then disappears for a long stretch.

daveleaf

Mar 23, 2010
Canada
The bolded is a major reason for the trade imo. The players are a close second to this.
His role on the team changed because he was not out playing Matthew's or Tavares which left him as the 3rd line C.
For that rile he was a bad fit and too expensive. Add in that he shot us in the foot in the playoffs twice and, imo, that trade was good.

He wasn't too expensive. So you bring in a dman who can't play D and another player who can\t play centre and that should shore up the problem? He would never outplay Tavares and Mathews but neither one of them would outplay Nazem in covering other teams best players. He was not perfect but he was pretty good.

Shot us in the foot in the playoffs? LOL We had two chances to eliminate Boston and we didn't and it was his fault? Where the hell was Nylander and Mathews in those games?

Lets dumb it down for guys. One of the greatest and grittiest playoff performers was Claude Lemieux. Would get under anyone skins with his style of play but won cups in Montreal, New Jersey and Colorado. Remember when he drove whats his name into the boards and wrecked his face? Stupid move right? Hell, give me five Lemeiuxs over Nylander and whomever and will have banners here again. You guys don't get it and never will. Grit wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad