Confirmed with Link: [TOR/FLA] Denis Malgin for Mason Marchment

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
You dont think kadris salary for a 3rd line centre was too expensive?
I'm not commenting on kadris style of play. Lemieux played in an era when his style of play was the norm and accepted. Today's NHL is different.
By your own admission Kari was our best shutdown centre, so how him getting suspended 2 years in a row in a massive playoff match up not shooting the team in the foot? Being shot in the foot means the team is weaker and has to compensate for an important missing part, not that it cripples the team.
He was overpriced for the role we needed and hurt the team and the fans at important times.
Just the overpriced tag makes a trade a necessity in a cap world.
We are not debating if Kadri is a good hockey player or if we like him.
Kadri had either Komarov or Brown stapled to him for good reason....because he absolutely needed it.

Reactions: saltming

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
On the cats board, they seem happy to get rid of Malgin; at least, that seemed the majority consensus I got from reading a 2 page thread or so.

They were also happy to get rid of McCann so I wouldn't read too much into it. Both players were lacking consistency of course which is frustrating for the fans but the organization and its coaching staffs were at the very least part of the problem.

Reactions: qqaz

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Dubas explained himself pretty well. Marchment was undrafted, but was brought up in the Leafs system, and he's now been turned into a guy that should be able to play 15 minutes a game on a 3rd line.

That's a legit NHL contributor made out of thin air. I couldn't be happier!

Combine Malgin with Mikheyev, and you've got solid depth without any draft picks. That's super important since management has identified a window and will use our picks to win now.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I really liked Malgin every time we played the Panthers. Like that we got him for cheap.

We at least know one guy who will show up against the Panthers in our remaining games.

Jun 27, 2005
from an article in The Athletic today.

The Calgary playoff percentage seemed low.

Thanks, that's interesting, but I don't think that sort of thing can be reliably calculated. I'll try to find the article.

Papa Cherry

Nov 20, 2011
When they traded for Malgin I assumed it was for the second line in the AHL not NHL lol

Really missing Jonnson right now.

Reactions: ToneDog

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
So this didn't turn out great.
Malgin just signed a 4 year deal with Zurich.

Marchment looked to be somewhat useful for the Panthers last year.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare

Given the player type the Leafs should covet and how Marchment was developing it was never a very attractive deal. He was one of the best body checkers in the AHL.

The Leafs did not even really want to get a look at Marchment at the NHL level. They had their minds made up about his upside to move him in that type of deal. It already looks like poor talent evaluation. Or a lack of interest in specific skills by the GM. They traded him for another 5'9 player.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

He had a Mikheyev level of production, not really sure where he would fit on the team, not sure where Malgin would have fit either.

I can't see a way he would play this year either unless it is instead of Simmonds, but then he'd be getting ~8 mins a night instead of ~14.

I just don't think we had space for him, I am fine letting players like him or Leivo go if there is no fit, I think it shows other players we won't mess around with their career if they don't work out here. Maybe it never helps us sign a player, but maybe there are players who sign here that do so knowing they will be taken care of if things don't work out, I'd rather that instead of holding onto a player who will have no impact here.

Reactions: Sypher04

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Marchment is hardly a loss worth lamenting. Players like him, but better, are available every single year in free agency. And very often for cheap
They got nothing for him? Giving up something for nothing is always a loss? … And can you list some of these other options for 700k? It appears to me that players that can skate and provide these physical tools in your top 9 are becoming increasingly rare… and the Leafs traded him for another small and soft perimeter player who can’t even make their team. (Wasn’t Petan a lesson?)

Selling low isn’t good, neither is buying high. Dubas accomplished both in this trade.

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
He had a Mikheyev level of production, not really sure where he would fit on the team, not sure where Malgin would have fit either.

I can't see a way he would play this year either unless it is instead of Simmonds, but then he'd be getting ~8 mins a night instead of ~14.

I just don't think we had space for him, I am fine letting players like him or Leivo go if there is no fit, I think it shows other players we won't mess around with their career if they don't work out here. Maybe it never helps us sign a player, but maybe there are players who sign here that do so knowing they will be taken care of if things don't work out, I'd rather that instead of holding onto a player who will have no impact here.

Yup Marchment may not have made an impact here but the fact is we pretty much got nothing for what was an asset which is now playing in the NHL. The trade is a minor fail.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
They got nothing for him… And can you list some of these other options for 700k? It appears to me that players that can skate and provide these physical tools in your top 9 are becoming increasingly rare… and the Leafs traded him for another small and soft perimeter player who can’t even make their team. (Wasn’t Petan a lesson?)

Selling low isn’t good, neither is buying high. Dubas accomplished both in this trade.

I didn’t say for 700k but sub 1 million lots of options. Look for yourself.

marchment is a 4th liner. Nothing more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->