Confirmed with Link: [TOR/FLA] Denis Malgin for Mason Marchment

Status
Not open for further replies.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
I was skimming the last page fof new posts and my gf came into the living room and asked what i was doing.

'Reading about a couple of leaf trades'

'Is f*cking Anderson gone?'

Chuckles... no babe. Not yet.

Having a partner that loves hockey is sooo key...

My wife just comes into the living room and said "Are they losing again" and then walks away really fast.:mad:

Last edited:

grapes55

Sep 14, 2017
theneckguard.wordpress.com
Matthews/Marner/Nylander and the support of Johnsson/Kapanen/Kerfoot/Dermott/etc, have proven too immature to be the guys above the even younger guys.

The worst thing Dubas did IMO was shedding the guys who battled every night for the collection of Timoshov’s/Petan/now Malgin/Goat/etc who just follow the lead.

Who? Marleau and Komarov sure weren't battling every night during their last years

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Why the Maple Leafs traded for Denis Malgin - Sportsnet.ca

By rolling out one of the league’s deepest scouting and development staffs and investing time into refining individual skills, Toronto can afford to take more flyers on athletes with upside and has smartly been able to churn out prospects they can either promote or flip.

"Marchment’s a guy that I’ve worked with a lot, and he’s put in a ton of work on himself," Leafs coach Sheldon Keefe said. "He’s a great kid that’s put in a ton of work and really worked at his game. That’s a credit to him for putting the work in, for our development staff, and the Marlies organization for the work that they put in to develop an undrafted player that we’re able to trade for an NHL asset."

"We found a way to get a younger player with more NHL experience and more ready to contribute right now."

Enter Malgin, No. 62 in your program because that’s the number he was handed at a Florida Panthers training camp, and — woo-hoo! — he made the cut.

At 23, he’s younger than Marchment, 24, but carries more big-league experience, scoring 60 points in 184 games for the Panthers before Dale Tallon granted a reported trade request from Malgin’s agent, Petr Svoboda, and shipped him to Toronto.

Upon being trotted out to face the biggest media scrum of his life, Malgin sheepishly denied asking out himself Thursday, but perhaps we’re getting into semantics.

"I didn’t want to leave Florida. I don’t know what they were thinking," Malgin said. "It was a surprise. But now I’m here, and the goal is to make the playoffs."

Reactions: qqaz

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I'm surprised to learn that McFarland is thinking highly of Malgin because Boughner didn't like Malgin...not at all.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
"In essence, Malgin has been a productive two-way forward for the Florida Panthers over the past two seasons. Despite playing in a reduced role and receiving limited opportunities, Malgin has made the most out of his chances, producing fair results on both ends of the ice.

Essentially, Malgin has proven to be a responsible defensive forward. In 148 career NHL games, Denis has recorded a ridiculously good takeaway to giveaway ratio of 64 to 47, often taking away the puck from the opposition than turning it over.

Nonetheless, Malgin has only managed to average roughly 12 minutes of ice time per game throughout the course of his NHL career. Basically, the talented native of Switzerland has played mostly fourth or third-line minutes alongside poor quality linemates."

Has a good shot, speed, 2 way play...might be a decent replacement for Johnsson, I would try him top with the big boys for a game and drop Kerfoot back to he third line. Worth a try to stir things up.

1500-03-0259-a__81563.1571782863.1280.1280.jpg

Reactions: qqaz and Menzinger

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
"In essence, Malgin has been a productive two-way forward for the Florida Panthers over the past two seasons. Despite playing in a reduced role and receiving limited opportunities, Malgin has made the most out of his chances, producing fair results on both ends of the ice.

Essentially, Malgin has proven to be a responsible defensive forward. In 148 career NHL games, Denis has recorded a ridiculously good takeaway to giveaway ratio of 64 to 47, often taking away the puck from the opposition than turning it over.

Nonetheless, Malgin has only managed to average roughly 12 minutes of ice time per game throughout the course of his NHL career. Basically, the talented native of Switzerland has played mostly fourth or third-line minutes alongside poor quality linemates."

Has a good shot, speed, 2 way play...might be a decent replacement for Johnsson, I would try him top with the big boys for a game and drop Kerfoot back to he third line. Worth a try to stir things up.

1500-03-0259-a__81563.1571782863.1280.1280.jpg

I like the player but his shot isn't something to rave about. He's more of a playmaker anyway and when he's scoring goals then many of them are of the kind where you don't need a great shot for them to go in. Has a very good stick. Important for defense of course but also allows him to score with deflections. Also dangerous on breakaways due to his skating abilities and moves he possesses. Also scored a few one timers I think. His shot selection is very good, too. He's a very smart player anyway. His shooting accuracy is decent but his shots are clearly lacking power. So I'm not the greatest fan of his shot.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Not sure he’s a second line winger on this team but he was fine. Turned the puck over but then was the first man back, which was nice to see. Had energy, who knows.

Reactions: 7even

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Thought he looked decent. Has decent hockey IQ, defensively competent, can skate and pass the puck.

If he can be a band-aid solution on the second line, and free up Kerfoot to be on the third line, it'll address our depth issues until Mikheyev comes back.

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
The guy you gave up probably never plays in Toronto so you can’t lose. He looked okay tonight. I don’t care how tall he is, I care more about talent and heart. Let’s see what we have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad