Confirmed with Link: [TOR/FLA] Denis Malgin for Mason Marchment

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
He wasn't too expensive. So you bring in a dman who can't play D and another player who can\t play centre and that should shore up the problem? He would never outplay Tavares and Mathews but neither one of them would outplay Nazem in covering other teams best players. He was not perfect but he was pretty good.

Shot us in the foot in the playoffs? LOL We had two chances to eliminate Boston and we didn't and it was his fault? Where the hell was Nylander and Mathews in those games?

Lets dumb it down for guys. One of the greatest and grittiest playoff performers was Claude Lemieux. Would get under anyone skins with his style of play but won cups in Montreal, New Jersey and Colorado. Remember when he drove whats his name into the boards and wrecked his face? Stupid move right? Hell, give me five Lemeiuxs over Nylander and whomever and will have banners here again. You guys don't get it and never will. Grit wins.
You dont think kadris salary for a 3rd line centre was too expensive?
I'm not commenting on kadris style of play. Lemieux played in an era when his style of play was the norm and accepted. Today's NHL is different.
By your own admission Kari was our best shutdown centre, so how him getting suspended 2 years in a row in a massive playoff match up not shooting the team in the foot? Being shot in the foot means the team is weaker and has to compensate for an important missing part, not that it cripples the team.
He was overpriced for the role we needed and hurt the team and the fans at important times.
Just the overpriced tag makes a trade a necessity in a cap world.
We are not debating if Kadri is a good hockey player or if we like him.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
You dont think kadris salary for a 3rd line centre was too expensive?
I'm not commenting on kadris style of play. Lemieux played in an era when his style of play was the norm and accepted. Today's NHL is different.
By your own admission Kari was our best shutdown centre, so how him getting suspended 2 years in a row in a massive playoff match up not shooting the team in the foot? Being shot in the foot means the team is weaker and has to compensate for an important missing part, not that it cripples the team.
He was overpriced for the role we needed and hurt the team and the fans at important times.
Just the overpriced tag makes a trade a necessity in a cap world.
We are not debating if Kadri is a good hockey player or if we like him.

I don't think he was too expensive, where are you going to find a guy that you can roll on all three top lines if needed for 4mill a year? Maybe when his deal was up he would have been too much but for now, no.

I think his suspensions were more due to no one else stepping up. Every line on Bos had grit and we had one and really only one player that would play that role. We needed more Kadri's, not less. I disagree, Lemeiux in today's NHL would be top 6 on any team. If that guy could fight he would have been legendary. Hunter, Sutter's, Lemiux.......those are guys you need to fill out a team. Not Kerfoot and Barrie.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
For last night Malgin served an important purpose. He got Kerfoot off line 2. Eventually it’s great if we find an upgrade to go with JT/Nylander, but for now it moves the other guys to better spots.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Malgin looked gassed on a couple shifts. Doesn't look to be in top playing shape. Better ramp up fast.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I don't think he was too expensive, where are you going to find a guy that you can roll on all three top lines if needed for 4mill a year? Maybe when his deal was up he would have been too much but for now, no.

I think his suspensions were more due to no one else stepping up. Every line on Bos had grit and we had one and really only one player that would play that role. We needed more Kadri's, not less. I disagree, Lemeiux in today's NHL would be top 6 on any team. If that guy could fight he would have been legendary. Hunter, Sutter's, Lemiux.......those are guys you need to fill out a team. Not Kerfoot and Barrie.
To be honest I agree that we need those type players, but even then grit is different than being a loose cannon, Kadri was a loose cannon. We need cool calculated anger.
Kerfoot, though not as able as Kadri, has shown he can play up in the line up and that 1 mil space is big this year as we are cash strapped.
Yes things could have been done to keep Kadri, but I think he was expendable for the reasons I've mentioned. Also, we can't fully judge the trade yet. If the news that Barrie is being shopped, we need to account for his return too.

Reactions: Sypher04

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
To be honest I agree that we need those type players, but even then grit is different than being a loose cannon, Kadri was a loose cannon. We need cool calculated anger.
Kerfoot, though not as able as Kadri, has shown he can play up in the line up and that 1 mil space is big this year as we are cash strapped.
Yes things could have been done to keep Kadri, but I think he was expendable for the reasons I've mentioned. Also, we can't fully judge the trade yet. If the news that Barrie is being shopped, we need to account for his return too.
Muzzin is that kind. Hyman is that kind.
If we could find another D + forward like that we are golden.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Mikheyev is recouping. That line misses him and so do I

We are missing a few important guys Soupman included.

Here’s how each team in the race with significant long-term injuries looks with and without their injuries.
Toronto Maple Leafs: 67 percent vs. 81 percent (+14 percent)
Vancouver Canucks: 73 percent vs. 86 percent (+13 percent)
Columbus Blue Jackets: 38 percent vs. 50 percent (+12 percent)
Edmonton Oilers: 85 percent vs. 90 percent (+5 percent)
Carolina Hurricanes: 80 percent vs. 85 percent (+5 percent)
New York Islanders: 72 percent vs. 77 percent (+5 percent)
Calgary Flames: 58 percent vs. 63 percent (+5 percent)

Reactions: saltming

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Hopefully we get that by the deadline
If not in the summer.
It is much easier to determine what exactly you need when the team is playing last nights team game/style. If not you are just putting a bandaid on the problems.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
If not in the summer.
It is much easier to determine what exactly you need when the team is playing last nights team game/style. If not you are just putting a bandaid on the problems.
Tbh I think the summer is more likely when they will try to fix it, but one can hope it's by the deadline.
One thing I'm comfortable with is that I don't think Dubas will force something. Even in the Campbell trade, though the timing made it seem like a desperate rushed thing, it apparently wasn't.
Edit: also the campbell trade was not a bandaid either. Fixed our backup problem giving potential even for another starter when Andersens contract is up.
#savvy

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
He was ok, but definitely not a keeper in the top 6. I'd much rather see Korshkov get an extended look at LW on the Tavares line.

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
Tbh I think the summer is more likely when they will try to fix it, but one can hope it's by the deadline.
One thing I'm comfortable with is that I don't think Dubas will force something. Even in the Campbell trade, though the timing made it seem like a desperate rushed thing, it apparently wasn't.
Edit: also the campbell trade was not a bandaid either. Fixed our backup problem giving potential even for another starter when Andersens contract is up.
#savvy

Precisely. And at slightly under a third of Andersen’s hit.

Said it before and I’ll say it again that I think Campbell was brought in with hopes he’s more of a 1b then merely a backup proper.

It’s convenient to forget where he was drafted and why he was drafted there.

He’s never really been bad anywhere he’s played. And perhaps his delayed development/opportunity was due to depth on clubs without reason to push him ahead of their club’s starter.

Jun 27, 2005
We are missing a few important guys Soupman included.

Here’s how each team in the race with significant long-term injuries looks with and without their injuries.
Toronto Maple Leafs: 67 percent vs. 81 percent (+14 percent)
Vancouver Canucks: 73 percent vs. 86 percent (+13 percent)
Columbus Blue Jackets: 38 percent vs. 50 percent (+12 percent)
Edmonton Oilers: 85 percent vs. 90 percent (+5 percent)
Carolina Hurricanes: 80 percent vs. 85 percent (+5 percent)
New York Islanders: 72 percent vs. 77 percent (+5 percent)
Calgary Flames: 58 percent vs. 63 percent (+5 percent)

Where do these numbers come from?

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
Sorry for not reading back through the thread if it's been talked about. This trade looks too good for the Leafs, could it be the minor league salary - Marchments 70 thou versus Malgins 700 thou, that the Panthers wanted to trade for? Not all teams want to. or can afford to pay minor league players so much money.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I always thought Marchment was going to be a bust. I would be very surprised if makes the NHL as a 4th line winger!!!

Watching Maglin play last night he is a feisty little guy. Throws the body around and forechecks above average. I agree he looked gassed at some points but once in game shape with more reps he should be a solid winger for this team.

I agree that he may not be a top 6 winger, but definitely see him as an option in the bottom 6 depending on moves that are going to happen. Personally I think he looks better then Petan ever has with the big club.

Reactions: PuckMagi

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
On the cats board, they seem happy to get rid of Malgin; at least, that seemed the majority consensus I got from reading a 2 page thread or so.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
#savvy

That's key to me. Most here lack patience. I don't want moves made out of haste. Wait for the right pieces or what makes sense.

Reactions: kb and saltming
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad