Confirmed with Link: [TOR/FLA] Denis Malgin for Mason Marchment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
So where are these bigger impact players? You are grasping at straws.

Well, we had Josh Leivo, who is a bigger impact than Michael Carcone to begin with.

In terms of drafting all those waterbugs, quite a few quality NHLers were picked after them.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I do think Dubas has had good timing with these deals. He answers each big loss with a roster boost. Tough year for injuries. Hopefully Malgin can produce with this assortment of players. I do hope this move plays a role, even if a small one in the Leafs beating out the Panthers.

Reactions: qqaz and NinjaKick

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Denis Malgin couldn't win a job on the Florida Panthers... is that what the definition of NHL is?

This is untrue. He was a regular right away...had 8 points in 22 games (or something like that) at times even playing in a top6 role until Gallant got fired. Even after that he had good stretches where he played very well even in a top6 role. The Panthers also demoted and scratched McCann...is he a bad player because of it? Rowe and Boughner are clueless grade a morons and Quenneville for some reason just never really liked Malgin. Gallant's firing really hurt Malgin's career big time.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
To those who rail against Dubas and his supposed love affair with small players may I introduce you to: Muzzin, Clifford, Ceci, Mikheyev, Engvall.
To those who say the Leafs are nothing but smurfs because of his acquisitions: from Wheeler in today's Athletic, "But first, let’s get some misnomers out of the way: The Leafs aren’t small. Their average weight of 199 pounds ranks in a tie for 12th in the NHL. Their average height of 6-foot-1 ranks in a tie for 11th."

Has Marchment's development stalled? Might Malgin be a good fit with the Leaf's? I don't know. Perhaps allowing both fellas a chance to prove the outcome of this trade might be a good idea.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
we traded an AHL player for a NHL player
^^^
That's what I was thinking. Looks like we were thinking about this year, and Florida about next year (or years).

I'm not necessarily saying anything one way or the other about the trade itself, more just pointing out that one has almost 190 games at the NHL level and turned 23 less than a month ago, while the other turns 25 in June with 4 games under his belt. I think it's a nothing trade at the bottom of the roster, but the potential for breaking out is certainly higher for the younger player. Or perhaps this is a depth trade made in case they ship out Kerfoot or Kapanen in a trade for a top-4 RD. Who knows, really.

I agree. That's what I said in my original post - see above (blue font). I was agreeing with a poster (Doldrum) that said: "We traded an AHL player for a NHL player."

Reactions: kb

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Sure? Marchment may be big but he's rather soft. Malgin may be small but not soft. He plays with an edge. Probably gonna outhit Marchment despite better possession numbers. Malgin is a very good and complete player. That's also due to his mother being a former figure skater and his father being a hockey Coach. Only weaknesses are strength along the boards and finish. Also needs a good coach who trusts him or he's gonna lack consistency. He played his best hockey under Gallant. Has been pretty bad unter trash Coaches like Rowe or Boughner. Some excellent stretches but no consistency. Same now under Quenneville.

Malgin is also fluent in English, German, French and Russian and reportedly was important and well respected in the Panthers locker room. Can do some translation/integration stuff if needed.

Malgin apparently asked for a trade but still surprised they sent him to Toronto for a useless player. Don't think Marchment will ever crack it at NHL-level. Malgin isn't gonna be a superstar but he's an established NHLer with some actual upside. If they treat him well then he should be provide some decent bottom six depth scoring at least.
Nice post.
Sounds like he could fit our system well. Sounds like his strength of skating and smarts will make him a useful player for Keefe.
What is your opinion?

Reactions: WillNy29

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
There's only one reason why two teams battling head to head for a single playoff spot make a trade: each team thinks they've committed robbery. Malgin's an offensive talent who isn't producing on a team that really could use some 3rd line scoring. Marchment's a lead-footed gamer who has scored 8 goals in his past 5 AHL games but hasn't looked all that good at the NHL level. The truth is that this transaction is probably going to have about as much impact as the Petan-Lindholm deal.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Nice post.
Sounds like he could fit our system well. Sounds like his strength of skating and smarts will make him a useful player for Keefe.
What is your opinion?

No idea. But if you look at his stats then he always was a very streaky player. So if he could find consistency then he'd be a very good player. He has all the tools. He just never really found his role in Florida ever since Gallant left. They didn't want to give him a top6 role on a consistent basis and they prefer plugs for the bottom six. Like mentioned before they also scratched and demoted Jared McCann. In my view the organization was at least part of the problem.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Denis Malgin couldn't win a job on the Florida Panthers... is that what the definition of NHL is?

186 some games played in the NHL.
Thats what qualifies you as one.
Much better then someone who had a shot and simply folded.
MM didnt hit anything, couldnt keep up with the speed of the game and didnt really do anything of any note. Not even a check that would make Muzzin smile. Anything is better then that by and large

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
There's only one reason why two teams battling head to head for a single playoff spot make a trade: each team thinks they've committed robbery. Malgin's an offensive talent who isn't producing on a team that really could use some 3rd line scoring. Marchment's a lead-footed gamer who has scored 8 goals in his past 5 AHL games but hasn't looked all that good at the NHL level. The truth is that this transaction is probably going to have about as much impact as the Petan-Lindholm deal.

No. The reason why the Panthers traded Malgin was that his agent asked for it.

The Panthers did nothing but to do a very well liked player a solid after he always gave his all for the organization in many ways.

Why they traded him to Toronto is a different question. Maybe Tallon somehow liked Marchment...could be his type of guy.

Reactions: MJK and kb

Leaf4Life

Feb 8, 2010
If Maglin can kill penalties, hit, fight, play top pairing D and start in net we are gold!

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Man I ignore the media all day and miss such a big deal. Didn't think much of marchment so I'm fine with it.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
I was skimming the last page fof new posts and my gf came into the living room and asked what i was doing.

'Reading about a couple of leaf trades'

'Is f***ing Anderson gone?'

Chuckles... no babe. Not yet.

Having a partner that loves hockey is sooo key...

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I was skimming the last page fof new posts and my gf came into the living room and asked what i was doing.

'Reading about a couple of leaf trades'

'Is f*cking Anderson gone?'

Chuckles... no babe. Not yet.

Having a partner that loves hockey is sooo key...
I wish my wife can even name one Leafs like including legends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad