Confirmed Trade: [TOR/DAL] Connor Carrick for 2019 conditional 7th round pick

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Leafs have no cap issues this, so 1.3m Carrick or a 675,000 Holl makes no difference to the Leafs. And Ozhignokov can double his 925,000 salary with bonuses. You really think the Leafs would jeopardize their season for a few dollars?

Well it does not have as much to do with the Leafs as other teams. Other teams may view the cheaper Holl as a better option than Carrick, especially if Carrick does not end up in a top 6. So maybe they thought Holl was more likely to be claimed. We may not need to worry about it, but a 625k difference for a 7D makes a difference for many other teams. Especially those with internal budgets. That's the only thing I can think of, because by no means did Holl outplay Carrick for a job.

However it's a moot point now since Dallas thought Carrick would be claimed and decided to pay us to make sure he wouldn't. Dubas may have been able to leverage more, but he was kind of on a tight schedule to get something so really anything is better than nothing. This is less than what Carrick is worth though. Or at least selling really low on him.

Reactions: teddygmr

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Good gamble from Dallas. He's a competent bottom pairing defenseman right now. He works hard and he's pretty feisty. He skate really well as well. Not the best defensively and can lose board/front net battles a lot but will make up for it in terms of moving the puck up the ice. He doesn't have that great of a point shot and his offensive abilities at the NHL level are pretty average.

With that said, he had the perfect opportunity in pre-season to win a wide open spot and completely blew it. He struggled quite a bit.

I think Ozhiganov had the edge from the beginning. More physical, bigger, more versatile. I do not think Carrick had a good shot from the beginning, unless he did very well and Ozhiganov struggled. Ozhiganov ended up surprising a lot of people and took a stranglehold on the job early, and Carrick was inconsistent (I wouldn't say terrible either, because he looked good enough to keep around). It makes sense to make a clean break, give him a new shot, and let the Leafs use Marincin who has size, defensive ability and can play PK. That's what the Leafs need out of their #7.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I mean its first day lets wait until the first game actually happens.

True I'm just worried. I really hope Heiskanen gets to play the left side but they seem determined to keep him with Methot until Johns returns, and maybe even then

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Maybe Smith was bored as an extra forward and wanted to try some time as a spare defenseman ?

Perhaps.

Following in the footsteps of Big Buff and Brent Burns.....only backwards, I guess.

Either way, big shoes to fill.

He knows it was likely either him or Elie that was going on waivers....with Elie gone, you'd think he'd feel like it's a second chance for him to show something.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
It seems? LOL. 7th is fair.

Players who are waiver-exempt certainly have more value, but that's not Carrick.
But if there was no waivers and he was kept on the team to start and then was traded he could have fetched more though. Due to roster cuts teams knew it was waivers or low offer.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
:laugh:

Wow, how soon things change in Leaf country, eh?

I guess Babs would rather have Martin Marincin patrolling the blueline on the third pair?

You quoted a single fan. Talking about things that never change, is the main boards using single fans as a voice for millions of people. Guess what, we all hate and love different guys.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Carrick could easily become a solid bottom pair NHL dman. Just wasn’t a fit in Toronto - his strengths/weakness were too similar to our core dmen (Rielly/Gards/Zaitsev), we need to surround these guys with players whose strengths are defensive play and physicality, and Carrick wasn’t that. Wouldn’t be surprised at all if he works out well in Dallas.

Reactions: Mork

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Makes sense that a player being talked about all the time....is actually traded.

Nice try on dodging the issue and the point of the post. Some had us getting a nice return with Carrick as part of a package, no?

Reactions: TMLFC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad