Confirmed Trade: [TOR/DAL] Connor Carrick for 2019 conditional 7th round pick

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
And Jesse Blacker. And Greg McKegg. And Jerry D’Amigo.

Yes thank god we never hear about other teams busts only the Leafs busts.

And McKegg got us Hyman who has been a top 6 player the past two years, so he couldn't have been that bad. D'Amigo destroyed the WJC and that's where the hype came from.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I'd rather have Holl @ 650K than Carrick at 1.3M...

Seeing as Carrick's 1.3M was for just this year, and we have nearly 13M in cap space, for this year, and another potential 5.3M to use, I'd personally rather take the better player.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Seeing as Carrick's 1.3M was for just this year, and we have nearly 13M in cap space, for this year, and another potential 5.3M to use, I'd personally rather take the better player.

We have ~12.25Mil in sapce.
Give Nylander 6.25-6.75 = 5.5-6Mil in cap space
+ ~5Mil in bonuses (Matthews/Marner/Lindholm/Ozhiganov)

We only have 500k-1Mil in cap space... This flexibility is important for 1) Any injury that could come up through the season and putting players on IR and 2) Making TDL trades and fitting people into our season's cap structure.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
I hope he's not the next Anton Stralman. We know how that worked out. I remember a few years later when that was looking like one of the worst trades Leafs ever made that fans thought maybe we should have kept him a little longer before giving up on a young D before we knew what we had.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
For a 7th that turns into a 6th if he plays more than 50 games next season.

That seems like basically nothing, considering what the Oilers just got for Jerabek. I guess better than to lose him to waivers
Considering what the Oilers got for Jerabek? You mean a 6th?

Newsflash. A 6th and a 7th (that could be a 6th) are equal in value (ie: neither hold any real value) :laugh:

Reactions: Eisen

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Dallas could have had him for free, he was about to go on waivers.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
I would have just kept him, more often then not a 7th rounder is not likely to even suit up.

But I thought hes a decent player overall, not special in any department, not terrible in any either. I consider him nhl caliber for a non playoff, or playoff fringe team

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I agree with all of this but the Leafs were the ones that just signed him to that cap hit so Dubas was just fixing a problem he created no?
I'll take a 1.3 million dollar signing mistake by Dubas long before some other signings we've witnessed.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I agree with all of this but the Leafs were the ones that just signed him to that cap hit so Dubas was just fixing a problem he created no?
Players out played him in camp.

He lost his spot. Time to move on.

I'd rather get a tangible asset than lose him for nothing on waivers.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I thought he had a chance to be a player but it appears that Carrick doesn't do anything well enough to make up for his lack of size and strength. He's not good enough to be a 1 or 2RD but he's not sound enough defensively to be a bottom pair guy. That's what I thought watching him play in Washington and it seems to still be the case. Still, there's no denying he's talented so this seems like a decent gamble for Dallas.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Players out played him in camp.

He lost his spot. Time to move on.

I'd rather get a tangible asset than lose him for nothing on waivers.
Happy with anything, even the minimal cap space and roster spot are important. This is just what good management does...you aren't going to use the player? You move on.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I thought he had a chance to be a player but it appears that Carrick doesn't do anything well enough to make up for his lack of size and strength. He's not good enough to be a 1 or 2RD but he's not sound enough defensively to be a bottom pair guy. That's what I thought watching him play in Washington and it seems to still be the case. Still, there's no denying he's talented so this seems like a decent gamble for Dallas.

Carrick is insanely strong and his workouts took on legendary status this summer. He also has decent speed. What he doesn't have is the thing you can't teach, the brain to play the fastest game in the world.

'He's like the best athlete of all time': How Connor Carrick...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad