Confirmed Trade: [TOR/DAL] Connor Carrick for 2019 conditional 7th round pick

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
It's gonna be funny either way given as he manages to move all the way to Dallas only to end up in a roster battle with the same player he has been trying to win ice time from for the last two years.

I think Dallas does well here to get him for a 7th, and I am glad Toronto is not just keeping young guys in the press box and at the very least letting them the opportunity find out if they are not getting a shot because of the opinion of just one coach or organization, or if there is more to it.

Here's hoping that if Leivo doesn't get ice time that they do the same thing with him.

Yeah all bashing and joking aside, this is a good deal for both teams. Carrick would get claimed and the Leafs at least got something for him.

Carrick still has upside. Issue is when Babcock doesn't like someone they won't play no matter how good they are. He played Komarov, Martin, and Polak WAYYY to much last year. Getting some minutes and a fresh start will help him.

Dallas gets depth D for almost nothing.

Good deal all around.

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
I guess the idea is to keep Bayreuther in the AHL where he can get more ice time, but not sure I'm comfortable with Polak and Carrick each making $1.3 million and taking up roster spaces that could be filled internally more affordably.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
For a 7th that turns into a 6th if he plays more than 50 games next season.

That seems like basically nothing, considering what the Oilers just got for Jerabek. I guess better than to lose him to waivers
Didn't Jerabek clear waivers? The ability to put him directly into the AHL increases his value slightly. Also with the pick being a year later the value is nearly identical.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
In all seriousness, it's a good move for both teams. Leafs get a pick rather than Carrick getting taken for free, and the Stars get a #7 dman that is probably better than Polak (not hard to do) and pushes him even farther out of the #7 spot. Win win.

Carrick will slot in for Johns until he returns from injury

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
HA! Took Polak and now Carrick from the Leafs! Suckers! That'll show em. Make em really hurt after they signed Tavares
I know you meant this in jest, but you will probably be happy with Carrick and very very unhappy with Polak. Hopefully you guys don't make the mistake that we did in letting Polak play over Carrick

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
I hate how we're forced to know every depth player that has ever played on Toronto. I still remember Simon Gamache.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I guess the idea is to keep Bayreuther in the AHL where he can get more ice time, but not sure I'm comfortable with Polak and Carrick each making $1.3 million and taking up roster spaces that could be filled internally more affordably.

Who internally is going to fill them? If Nill trusted Bayreuther, this move wouldn't have happened. No one else is anywhere close to an NHL spot.

And we're not losing $2.6M total in cap space, more like 800K. The players in their spots would also have salaries and cap hits (I'm estimating 900K each). That's pretty small and not really a factor for us when it comes to cap space currently.

If we do go after Duchene or Stone, we could just move one of them out along with Shore and the cap would work. We also probably won't be making a move like that for a while, which further helps to reduce the cap space needed.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Nice pickup by Dallas, low-risk possibly high-reward.

I hate how we're forced to know every depth player that has ever played on Toronto. I still remember Simon Gamache.

Bound to happen given the population of Toronto and so-called "Leafs Nation", as well as TSN/Sportsnet's penchant for catering to that specific market moreso than any other in Canada.

Reactions: sufferer

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I know you meant this in jest, but you will probably be happy with Carrick and very very unhappy with Polak. Hopefully you guys don't make the mistake that we did in letting Polak play over Carrick

This move to me means they really noticed how bad Polak is. He was as bad as can be during preseason and its pretty clear the Stars took notice so that's a good sign. Yeah trust me I'm happy about the move cause we either had to play an AHL dman or Polak in case of an injury so this is good to have a new #7

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Finally, now we had a real value for him (nothing) and we can stop getting him tossed in every Leaf-proposal for a D-man, where some pump his value to "Braunish" levels….

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
This move to me means they really noticed how bad Polak is. He was as bad as can be during preseason and its pretty clear the Stars took notice so that's a good sign. Yeah trust me I'm happy about the move cause we either had to play an AHL dman or Polak in case of an injury so this is good to have a new #7
Carrick probably won't be better than a bottom pairing guy, but he's been a good bottom pairing player in Toronto in a sheltered role, if you have space for him it's a good acquisition. Was surprised when you signed Polak, and when NYI signed Komarov to a big deal, both of them have been bad for a while

Reactions: Kcb12345

Danny1237

Jun 12, 2016
Yeah all bashing and joking aside, this is a good deal for both teams. Carrick would get claimed and the Leafs at least got something for him.

Carrick still has upside. Issue is when Babcock doesn't like someone they won't play no matter how good they are. He played Komarov, Martin, and Polak WAYYY to much last year. Getting some minutes and a fresh start will help him.

Good deal all around.

Yeah, I think Dallas "wins" the deal based on the fact that Carrick is almost guaranteed to provide some value, and still has upside. I think a 7th has something like a 5% chance of playing 100 games.

In the end Toronto had a lot of D of similar value who would have had to go through waivers, so getting a 7th for him is fine. Maybe he goes to Dallas and is capable of more, which I think he is, but it's probably not likely he turns into exactly the type of guy Toronto was missing.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

Good deal all around.

Speaking of Babs and his grudges, is Leivo making the team out of camp? That poor dude was stapled to the pressbox for way too long. :laugh:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Traded 24 year old Connor Carrick who has good numbers but had a poor preseason, in order to keep older players in Marincin and Holl.

Like, I understand it, there's currently no spot for Carrick in our top 6, so might as well get a pick for him, but if injuries hit (Zaitsev has had injury issues in both seasons, Hainsey is starting to slow down) I would much rather Carrick in the lineup than Justin Holl.

:dunno:

Reactions: TakeTheBody

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Well beats playing Polak while Johns is injured. Hopefully when everyone is healthy we waive Polak he was awful.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Speaking of Babs and his grudges, is Leivo making the team out of camp? That poor dude was stapled to the pressbox for way too long. :laugh:

Leivo has been on the third line all pre-season, Indication is he will start the year there. However, once Nylander signs I assume he will be relegated back to the press box.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Traded 24 year old Connor Carrick who has good numbers but had a poor preseason, in order to keep older players in Marincin and Holl.

Like, I understand it, there's currently no spot for Carrick in our top 6, so might as well get a pick for him, but if injuries hit (Zaitsev has had injury issues in both seasons, Hainsey is starting to slow down) I would much rather Carrick in the lineup than Justin Holl.

:dunno:

I'd rather have Holl @ 650K than Carrick at 1.3M...

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Is Dallas planning on having Carrick AND Polak in their top 6?
No this move is very likely to avoid Polak in the top 6. I think they see that signing as a mistake (what a shocker) and dont want Polak as anything other than an emergency fill in. We had Miro playing RD to avoid having Polak in our dress rehersal games. Says a lot when a coach is willing to play a rookie on his offside to avoid putting a natural RD in the lineup.

with Johns hurt and likely out for a while, we were slated to either have Polak in the line up or Miro on his offside + Bayreuther as 3LD. Bayreuther looks ready on offence but kid got beat way too much on D. So while I dont know for sure I think this means Bay to the AHL, Polak eating nachos and Carrick as our 3RD

Edit: I realized after writing this you already got an answer from other Stars fans. My bad for repeating what they said.

Reactions: Kcb12345

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad