Confirmed Trade: [TOR/DAL] Connor Carrick for 2019 conditional 7th round pick

serp

Jan 17, 2016
So that might mean Johns is injured . Otherwise Polak who he was signed needs to be waived ( or Honka who would get claimed )

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
wow what an absolute steal for Dallas

If you're speaking in terms of quality of interview, sure lol.

Good luck to Connor though, seems like a good dude, but he could never become a regular on a weak right side so I wouldn't expect much.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
I like Carrick and will likely always think he's a very serviceable bottom pairing defencemen and judging from Instagram - he may have worked harder than any Leaf player this offseason.

But if he wasn't in the plans he wasn't in the plans. Think his value was higher though.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Polak and now Carrick, Stars are all in for Hughes this season!

I know it's a joke, but Carrick looks like our #6 while Stephen Johns is out with an injury. I don't really know what they'll do with him once Johns returns.

Polak is our #7 on the NHL squad and has already been surpassed by Gavin Bayreuther. If Polak sees any significant ice time, it's due to a major case of the injury bug. It's been pretty clear that he's not here to play a lot.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Good deal for the Stars. Dont see the harm in taking a shot on a guy like Carrick.

Hopefully a change of scenery and coaching helps him out a bit. Babcock never seemed to be a big fan.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Is Dallas planning on having Carrick AND Polak in their top 6?

The plan is for none to be in the top six. Stephen Johns has a semi-minor injury but appears about a week to ten days away. Polak played himself out of a spot in the top six to cover the injury and it was looking like Gavin Bayreuther was going to grab that #6 spot to start the year. With this trade opportunity, Nill takes it and Carrick will be #6 until Johns returns in 7-10 days.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Is Dallas planning on having Carrick AND Polak in their top 6?

Honestly Polak looked pretty bad in Pre-Season. The team might not be comfortable with Polak actually playing at all outside of spot duty . Bayreuther doesn't seem ready either.

What happens when Johns is back healthy not sure. One of Polak and Carrick has to go at that point.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Better than losing him for nothing on waivers I guess. I never quite understood the love that Carrick got from some fans and writers (Tanner especially). Yes he's an nhl caliber d-man, but best case scenario he's a dime a dozen bottom pairing guy.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Probably temporarily until Stephen Johns comes back from injury

The plan is for none to be in the top six. Stephen Johns has a semi-minor injury but appears about a week to ten days away. Polak played himself out of a spot in the top six to cover the injury and it was looking like Gavin Bayreuther was going to grab that #6 spot to start the year. With this trade opportunity, Nill takes it and Carrick will be #6 until Johns returns in 7-10 days.

No, I think part of the reason we're acquiring Carrick is so that we don't have to play Polak.

Honestly Polak looked pretty bad in Pre-Season. The team might not be comfortable with Polak actually playing at all outside of spot duty . Bayreuther doesn't seem ready either.

What happens when Johns is back healthy not sure. One of Polak and Carrick has to go at that point.

Interesting.

Thanks for the replies boys.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
In all seriousness good on Dubas to find out who would claim him off waivers and get at least something small for him.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Lindell - Klingberg
Heiskanen - Honka
Methot - Carrick

Once Johns is back from injury in about a week

Lindell - Klingberg
Heiskanen - Johns
Methot - Honka

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

Danny1237

Jun 12, 2016
Yeah I agree. He is a very smart player and was the fittest guy on the Leafs in camp. Issue is that the Leafs have like 10 bottom pairing D in the organization and he would have been in the press box making too much money to start.

He's only 23, I think if the right circumstances happens and he has a chance to play some consistent minutes he will do well.

Also LOL if he goes to Dallas just to sit in the press box behind Polak another year.

It's gonna be funny either way given as he manages to move all the way to Dallas only to end up in a roster battle with the same player he has been trying to win ice time from for the last two years.

I think Dallas does well here to get him for a 7th, and I am glad Toronto is not just keeping young guys in the press box and at the very least letting them the opportunity find out if they are not getting a shot because of the opinion of just one coach or organization, or if there is more to it.

Here's hoping that if Leivo doesn't get ice time that they do the same thing with him.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
This Leafs fan is happy...

Carrick seems like a great guy, is a great interview... but he doesn't seem able to put it together on the ice... I've always said, he won't be an NHL player... but will be a good hockey coach down the road...

Reactions: smitty10

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Kind of makes me question why we signed Polak in the first place

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad