Confirmed Trade: [TOR/COL] Tyson Barrie (@50%) , A. Kerfoot, '20 6th for Nazem Kadri, C. Rosen, '20 3rd - Pt.3

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Kerfoot has 2 more points in 2 more games than Kadri this season, how is there a crater at center?

Kerfoot is a much, much better 3c than Kadri. Kadri is a better 2c than Alex. Neither are a 2c on the leafs without injuries and kerfoot has looked admiral filling in.

You're also exaggerating about Barrie, he has been a step up on Gardiner and he isn't even in his normal comfort zone with his teammates yet.

The team is not firing on all cylinders, this trade is a very far cry from the reason for that.

Great trade for both teams then and now.

Kadri is better than Kerfoot.

Reactions: Dennis Reynolds

Ledge And Dairy

If the Leafs can get a stay-at-home guy to cover Barrie, and let Tyson do his thing, then he will tear the East apart. Whose he playing with now?
He's currently playing with Muzzin which is a pair that makes sense, the issue is more of Ceci isn't a good enough partner for Rielly and Barrie doesn't match well with him either. Ceci would probably do fine with Muzzin though

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
He's currently playing with Muzzin which is a pair that makes sense, the issue is more of Ceci isn't a good enough partner for Rielly and Barrie doesn't match well with him either. Ceci would probably do fine with Muzzin though
Most seem hopeful once dermott comes back (and probably plays bottom pair to get his game pace back for a bit) he takes over Ceci as Riellys partner.

grapes55

Sep 14, 2017
theneckguard.wordpress.com
This is likely the main reason Dubas went with the Flames offer over the Avs offer originally, That and Leafs cant afford to sign Barrie next year where they could afford to resign Brodie and Jankowski. Pitty Kadri nixed the trade

I think the flames offer is clearly worse than the avs' offer, I wouldn't take Brodie or Jank over Kerfoot and Barrie (even taking contracts into account). Also, I'm not sure if Brodie would perform as well here without Giordano. Barrie has played fine so far, the points will come soon enough. The Leafs, in general, aren't really clicking too well

Reactions: qqaz

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
This is starting to look like a terrible trade for the Leafs. Barrie is not a good fit on an already elite offensive team that didn't need him and losing Kadri left a crater at center.
10 new players on the team and they are 10 games in. i wouldnt worry to much. to small of a sample size. however they do need to start picking it up a bit.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
If overpaying your very young star players is the worst thing you’ve done when other teams are handing out terrible contracts to old, depth UFAs then you have a pretty good reason to be happy.

So instead of paying crappy players too much they have to pay crappy players less money? Its the same thing._. Wasted money is wasted money. Overpaying depth could also be better than no money for depth.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Both Kerfoot and Barrie have been excellent for the Leafs so far. I’d do this trade again every day and twice on Sundays.

You have to remember it's 3 years of Kadri for Kerfoot and 1 year of Barrie at a nice caphit

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
You have to remember it's 3 years of Kadri for Kerfoot and 1 year of Barrie at a nice caphit
Sure. Still make this trade every day. The Leafs are looking to contend and Barrie helps with that. It’s not his fault the Leafs are struggling. That blame lies with others.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
No ****, when he's given the opportunity he's a good 2C. He's a bad 3C though, which is where he is on toronto, and where kerfoot excels.

Do you not understand the difference in responsibility between 2C and 3C?

Please explain the difference in responsibility between 2C and 3C and why Kerfoot is better at third line center than Kadri.

Reactions: Trash Man

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Tyson Barrie is still undoubtedly the best player traded in this deal. He just isn’t being fully utilized to his strengths in Toronto. I understand why he isn’t on PP1 because Reilly has obviously earned that role but without Tyson on PP1 you’re removing 25ish points from his total based on his previous role.

Then to top it off Babcock doesn’t appear to be allowing him to free wheel his own game 5v5 which will hurt him as well.

Barrie’s a stud but if he isn’t being put in a position to play to his own strengths he’s basically going to be a 25-30 point defenseman who is really bad defensively. His offensive magic more than makes up for his defensive shortcomings but if he isn’t using that offense he isn’t going to be an effective part of your hockey club.

I still expect Leafs fans to be cranking it to Tyson Barrie’s play by the end of the season. He’s a magician. He’s a stud. Let him play.

- Signed, and Avalanche fan.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
The analytics loved Kerfoot at the time this trade was made, Avs fans said Kerfoot wasn't as good as they indicated. It turns out thusfar, Kerfoot has been one of our best players and actually has been a better play driver than anyone could have imagined. Not too sure how Avs fans were happy to get rid of him. He's a fantastic player.

Miss Naz though.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Tyson Barrie is still undoubtedly the best player traded in this deal. He just isn’t being fully utilized to his strengths in Toronto. I understand why he isn’t on PP1 because Reilly has obviously earned that role but without Tyson on PP1 you’re removing 25ish points from his total based on his previous role.

Then to top it off Babcock doesn’t appear to be allowing him to free wheel his own game 5v5 which will hurt him as well.

Barrie’s a stud but if he isn’t being put in a position to play to his own strengths he’s basically going to be a 25-30 point defenseman who is really bad defensively. His offensive magic more than makes up for his defensive shortcomings but if he isn’t using that offense he isn’t going to be an effective part of your hockey club.

I still expect Leafs fans to be cranking it to Tyson Barrie’s play by the end of the season. He’s a magician. He’s a stud. Let him play.

- Signed, and Avalanche fan.

No doubt he isn't being used to his full potential. But I think Kerfoot has been so good so far that it would even be hard for Barrie to top. Kerfoot has been our best player on several nights.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
No doubt he isn't being used to his full potential. But I think Kerfoot has been so good so far that it would even be hard for Barrie to top. Kerfoot has been our best player on several nights.
Yeah he’ll do that. But then he’ll have 23 nights in a row where you literally pull hair out of your head lol.

Trust me, Barrie is on another level compared to Alexander Kerfoot. Kerfoot can’t take over a game. Barrie can take over a series.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
The analytics loved Kerfoot at the time this trade was made, Avs fans said Kerfoot wasn't as good as they indicated. It turns out thusfar, Kerfoot has been one of our best players and actually has been a better play driver than anyone could have imagined. Not too sure how Avs fans were happy to get rid of him. He's a fantastic player.

Miss Naz though.

It's been 11 games.

I guarantee by the 41 game mark of the season Leafs fans opinion of Kerfoot will have completely changed. He is a notoriously hot starter.

Just like how Barrie is a notoriously poor starter. By the time the year is over Leafs fans will be hating Kerfoot and hoping Barrie is re-signed. No question in a single Avs fans mind about that.

Just to prove that this isn't bull shit. Kerfoot had 4G and 17 Points in his first 21 games last season. And when he was put on the top PP unit and Mackinnon's wing down the stretch last season he put up 8 points in 8 games(Half of those secondary or useless points). Meaning in his remaining 59 games on the season he put up just 17 points.

Same thing in his rookie season. He had 8 Goals and 20 points through his first 24 games. After that, he put up 23 points in his last 55 games.

The dude is just a hot starter and the moment teams start playing more tight checking hockey and the focus starts turning on playoff pushes, his game falls off a cliff.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad