Confirmed Trade: [TOR/COL] Tyson Barrie (@50%) , A. Kerfoot, '20 6th for Nazem Kadri, C. Rosen, '20 3rd - Pt.3

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
No ****, when he's given the opportunity he's a good 2C. He's a bad 3C though, which is where he is on toronto, and where kerfoot excels.

Do you not understand the difference in responsibility between 2C and 3C?
Peoeple don't realize generally theres a difference in resposibilities and just look at points and corsi and such while not taking other factors into consideration.

I am still pissed Kerfoot didn't come home to Vancouver, I hoped that when he left college but oh well.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
The analytics loved Kerfoot at the time this trade was made, Avs fans said Kerfoot wasn't as good as they indicated. It turns out thusfar, Kerfoot has been one of our best players and actually has been a better play driver than anyone could have imagined. Not too sure how Avs fans were happy to get rid of him. He's a fantastic player.

Miss Naz though.

You’ll see... :freddie:

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Of all the struggles the Maple Leafs have, at the moment, Kerfoot isn't one. The guy has been one of the bright spots on the team, so far. He's consistant in his effort and his results. If we get this player for the whole season, then I will be thrilled.

Looking like a win-win trade to me, because Kadri seems to be what COL needed. They're not just a 1 line team anymore, and Kadri always seemed to me like a player that would thrive with more on-ice responsibility and less off-ice pressure. He's going to be a force for the Avs, and give them a punch that their #2 line hasn't had for a while. Kadri is a high-event, impactful player.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Leafs overhauled the defense, but it doesn't look all that much improved. They've been a pretty average team since the new year. What gives Leafs fans? Coaching? Wrong blend of players? Lord knows yall have the talent to be a top-5 team in the league.

Superlative Soup

Treasured and Marveled
Apr 8, 2013
Saskatchewan
It's been 11 games.

I guarantee by the 41 game mark of the season Leafs fans opinion of Kerfoot will have completely changed. He is a notoriously hot starter.

Just like how Barrie is a notoriously poor starter. By the time the year is over Leafs fans will be hating Kerfoot and hoping Barrie is re-signed. No question in a single Avs fans mind about that.

Just to prove that this isn't bull ****. Kerfoot had 4G and 17 Points in his first 21 games last season. And when he was put on the top PP unit and Mackinnon's wing down the stretch last season he put up 8 points in 8 games(Half of those secondary or useless points). Meaning in his remaining 59 games on the season he put up just 17 points.

Same thing in his rookie season. He had 8 Goals and 20 points through his first 24 games. After that, he put up 23 points in his last 55 games.

The dude is just a hot starter and the moment teams start playing more tight checking hockey and the focus starts turning on playoff pushes, his game falls off a cliff.
The Leafs certainly have a type :sarcasm:

Reactions: inthewings

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
As an Avalanche fan I’m not saying anything else about Kerfoot. His season has started just like it has his two other season and I expect it to end just as it has his previous two seasons. If not, great news for Leafs fans. You have yourself a player.

As for Barrie. Give it a chance. You need your coach to give him a chance too. I feel Leafs fans don’t understand the luxury you have by having TB on your team. He’s so good at the things he does best.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Barrie is a terrible fit in Babcock's system. They were better off with Gardiner the way Babcock is using him. It's like he told Barrie "Remember how you played in the first few games and put up 4 points? Yea never do that again, that's not how we play here".

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
Barrie will goto Vancouver in the off season. He’ll join Hughes and the young guns there and be close to home.

My prediction of course.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
The analytics loved Kerfoot at the time this trade was made, Avs fans said Kerfoot wasn't as good as they indicated. It turns out thusfar, Kerfoot has been one of our best players and actually has been a better play driver than anyone could have imagined. Not too sure how Avs fans were happy to get rid of him. He's a fantastic player.

Miss Naz though.

No doubt he isn't being used to his full potential. But I think Kerfoot has been so good so far that it would even be hard for Barrie to top. Kerfoot has been our best player on several nights.

I recognize this is one poster's opinion. But if other Leafs fans feel this way, yall are in for a rude awakening. Ignoring that Kerf is somehow your top player during any stretch of time, just wait for when games tighten up a bit and he starts making game altering blunders. He's shooting 25% right now and has 7 pts in 11 games. Last year he started out with 17 pts in 21 games and the year before 15 pts in 18 games including 7 goals on 20 shots for 35%. He would go to score 25 pts in 57 games and 28 pts in 61 games after playing a lot of top 6 and powerplay time.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
In the 3 games I have seen, I have loved Kerfoot but Barrie looks very questionable. Anyone throwing 8-9 at him will regret that deal.

Kerfoot at 3.5 is a bargain.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Barrie is a terrible fit in Babcock's system. They were better off with Gardiner the way Babcock is using him. It's like he told Barrie "Remember how you played in the first few games and put up 4 points? Yea never do that again, that's not how we play here".

Barrie isn't getting much in the way of power play time. He should be out there with Rielly but Babcock hasn’t shown much confidence in him.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Horrible trade, Leafs got a smaller Gardiner, the dee is worse if possible. They lost a 2nd line centre with some grit who actually hits. Kerfoot may redeem it but the leafs are buttery soft without kadri and may not make the playoffs.

Last edited:

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Leafs overhauled the defense, but it doesn't look all that much improved. They've been a pretty average team since the new year. What gives Leafs fans? Coaching? Wrong blend of players? Lord knows yall have the talent to be a top-5 team in the league.
The big guns (namely Marner and Matthews) don't seem to be putting in any effort in the games. Rielly looks like a trainwreck defensively this year, he has never been a stalwart, but last year he could at least hold his own. Lastly, there seems to be almost zero man coverage in front of the net. Every cross crease pass seems to be completed. Don't know if its coaching, or players not buying into the system, but its killing the Leafs. Their shots allowed heatmap must just be a pool of red in front of Andersen.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Barrie isn't getting much in the way of power play time. He should be out there with Rielly but Babcock hasn’t shown much confidence in him.

Two defensemen on the PP is rarely the right play and definitely not with the Leafs forward group

It sucks for Barrie but his point totals will be much less than usual in his contract year because he happens to be on a team with another offensive star on defense.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
As an Avalanche fan I’m not saying anything else about Kerfoot. His season has started just like it has his two other season and I expect it to end just as it has his previous two seasons. If not, great news for Leafs fans. You have yourself a player.

As for Barrie. Give it a chance. You need your coach to give him a chance too. I feel Leafs fans don’t understand the luxury you have by having TB on your team. He’s so good at the things he does best.

To be fair to Kerfoot he was a college player who stepped right into the NHL. The guy hadn’t played more than 40 games in a season so I’m not surprised he ran out of gas. His stamina should improve in his 3rd year.

Btw he’s far better at center where he can use his speed than he is on the wing.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
To be fair to Kerfoot he was a college player who stepped right into the NHL. The guy hadn’t played more than 40 games in a season so I’m not surprised he ran out of gas. His stamina should improve in his 3rd year.

Btw he’s far better at center where he can use his speed than he is on the wing.
Kerfoot has never run out of gas. He has flown around the ice in every game he’s ever played.

Yes I agree he’s much better at centre than on the wing.

Reactions: Menzinger

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I always wondered when Rosen would finally get more than a brief glimpse at NHL ice under Babcock, but it never really panned out.

Seems like he's got the same thing going in Colorado though, down in the AHL again.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
I recognize this is one poster's opinion. But if other Leafs fans feel this way, yall are in for a rude awakening. Ignoring that Kerf is somehow your top player during any stretch of time, just wait for when games tighten up a bit and he starts making game altering blunders. He's shooting 25% right now and has 7 pts in 11 games. Last year he started out with 17 pts in 21 games and the year before 15 pts in 18 games including 7 goals on 20 shots for 35%. He would go to score 25 pts in 57 games and 28 pts in 61 games after playing a lot of top 6 and powerplay time.

Ignoring his actual goal output and shooting percentage his play driving numbers have remained excellent, actually improved on his time in Colorado thus far. So yes I know his output will dry out a bit, but if he can continue to drive play the way he does now, that’s a bargain at 3.5m

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
This is starting to look like a terrible trade for the Leafs. Barrie is not a good fit on an already elite offensive team that didn't need him and losing Kadri left a crater at center.

Barrie won't hit his potential until Babcock puts Barrie's play style above his system like Bednar had to. That should happen any day now right :sarcasm:.

The real loser in this trade is Tyson Barrie. Sucks Babcock happened to him in a contract year. But I'm sure Benning will still open up the checkbook for him.

But honestly none of this matters, if I'm reading the leafs board right Kadri/Kerfoot was a wash so they essentially got Barrie for free. Watching the leafs masses roll over themselves to build up Kerfoot has been hilarious. May he stay in Tronoto for years and years.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Theyve been getting consistent sub .900 goaltending from both starter snd backup

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad