Confirmed Trade: [TOR/COL] Tyson Barrie (@50%) , A. Kerfoot, '20 6th for Nazem Kadri, C. Rosen, '20 3rd - Pt.3

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Leafs can easily afford Barrie (or Pietrangelo) next summer. Assuming Marners 10m into the budget and a cap of 83, they'll have 18m left over.
Give 8 or 9 to Barrie or Pietrangelo and they'll have 9-10m left over to fill 3rd and 4th line spots. The entire core and second tier will all be locked up. They also have Nylander as a possible trade chip if needed.

Rielly (5) Pietrangelo (9)
Dermott (1.5) --------
Sandin (894K) Liljegren (863K)

I would resign Muzzin if possible to shorter term deal or bite the bullet and go with youth. Liljegren and Sandin could easily be on the roster this year but I'm sure management will keep them down another year just in case.
eas·i·ly
adverb
  1. without difficulty or effort.
    "he climbed the mountain easily"

LOL. Now they're signing Pietrangelo?!

Having $39M tied up between 4 players seems wise ($49M between 5 assuming Marner signs for $10M)...

Also who is going to tend net in 2 years? Andersen likely isnt going to take $5M per again. Then how do you re-sign Reilly in 3 years? Lets assume they re-sign Marner for $10M for 5 years. In 2 years sign Andersen for $7M per. Re-sign Reilly for $7M per, you're looking at 22-23:

Matthews $11.634
Tavares $11
Nylander $6.962
Marner $10
Reilly $7
Andersen $7
Pietrangelo $9 or Barrie $8

That is $62.6 tied up between 7 players. At what point do Leafs fans realize this isn't possible or do we keep pumping Dubas's tires just for fun?

Reactions: Marlo Stanfield

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
Do Avs fans think committing to him long term would be a good idea? I personally don't think so, but it's hard to say

I would say 2 out of 3 Avs fans wanted to commit to Tyson long term, while 1 out of 3 were ardently opposed to the idea.

Personally, I don’t think it’s the wisest decision to pay him long term for a myriad of reasons. He’s a very talented and arguably elite offensive Dman, whose defense is nowhere near his offense. I would not be comfortable paying a 29yo (his age when new contract kicks in) top 5-10 money at his position, when hes not good enough defensively to put on the PK, despite his team having the 25th worst PK in the league. That speaks volumes to me.

Also, while he doesn’t have elite speed, his speed is a big part of his game and allows him to jump into the rush. As he ages, his speed will only decrease and I think his contract will turn into an albatross by year 3-4.

Reactions: milehigh11

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Do Avs fans think committing to him long term would be a good idea? I personally don't think so, but it's hard to say
I wouldn’t have a problem with committing to Barrie. To me you’re getting what Florida got when they signed Yandle, if you like that contract you will be happy with Barrie.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
Look at Rafalski.

Rafalski was always a much better defensive player than Barrie is. Although +/- can be a misleading stat, Rafalski never had 1 year where he posted a negative +/- in his 11 year career (ended +100). Barrie meanwhile has only posted 2 positive +/- in his 8 years, for a career -59.

While some of the difference can be chalked up to Rafalski playing for better teams, he was hands down a better defensive player. Also, Rafalski didn’t play in the NHL until he was 26, while Barrie started at 20 and has much more mileage on his body than Rafalski did at this point in his career.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
Barrie is a 60 points dman

Barrie has never hit 60. Got very close this past season but to tag someone as a certain amount of points player, they should probably have hit it once at the very least. Twice to be sure. He's paced for 60+ before but I think unless it actually happens you have to tag him as a 50-55 pt dman for now. He has all the potential to break that though

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
There is no way Toronto can afford Barrie at 8m. After this year TO will only have 1 defenseman signed and approx 20m in cap space to fill the roster. Give Barrie 8m of that and there is not much left. The roster would be half filled with minimum wage earners and rookies. Not a great recipe for success. Looking more and more like a Nylander trade might be needed. Trading Marner would be a mistake.
Well the good thing about that 20 million is that the majority of their offence is all locked up. So they wouldn’t need a lot of money for that. They have their number 1 goalie locked up. So they wouldn’t worry about that either. The only thing left is defence and 20 million is a really good way to fill up those problems. Plus their number 1 defenceman is locked up as well.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
eas·i·ly
adverb

Having $39M tied up between 4 players seems wise ($49M between 5 assuming Marner signs for $10M)...

Also who is going to tend net in 2 years? Andersen likely isnt going to take $5M per again. Then how do you re-sign Reilly in 3 years? Lets assume they re-sign Marner for $10M for 5 years. In 2 years sign Andersen for $7M per. Re-sign Reilly for $7M per, you're looking at 22-23:

Matthews $11.634
Tavares $11
Nylander $6.962
Marner $10
Reilly $7
Andersen $7

That is $62.6 tied up between 7 players. At what point do Leafs fans realize this isn't possible or do we keep pumping Dubas's tires just for fun?
Well why doesn’t Toronto worry about what is going to happen in 2 or 3 years. Signing talented hockey players to contracts is a good problem to have.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Barrie has never hit 60. Got very close this past season but to tag someone as a certain amount of points player, they should probably have hit it once at the very least. Twice to be sure. He's paced for 60+ before but I think unless it actually happens you have to tag him as a 50-55 pt dman for now. He has all the potential to break that though

He had 57 in 68 games in 2017-18, you think he would've gotten 2 points in 14 games?

Reactions: AvsGuy

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
He had 57 in 68 games in 2017-18, you think he would've gotten 2 points in 14 games?

Did you stop reading before I said he was on pace? Injuries are apart of the game. It's not accurate to call someone who's never hit 60 pts once a 60 pt dman. I also went on to say he has the potential to do so. Leafs won't sign Barrie for 8X8 anyway, Rielly is the much more superior player and will command Karlsson money in a few years if he keeps scoring 20 goals and putting up 65-70 pts. By the way 57+2 is 59. ;). I do beleive he would've hit 60 but I also beleive MacKinnon can hit 100+ points but hasn't so I call him a high 90s point player cause that's actually factual instead of "he could've if he shot a couple more times" type of assessments

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

He sure does, in fact given the depth of Toronto's forward. I expect him to do that espicelly if he plays with Rielly because that means he will be on the ice the most with are either Johnsson Matthews Nylander or Kapanen Tavares Matner

Either way there will be chances to score

Reactions: Avaholic29

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Every day I like this trade for Colorado more

Toronto got the best player but Colorado got the best value

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

OH you are going to love Kadri, until the day comes, and it will that he sees the red mist and loses his damn mind, gets himself suspended and costs you games, that's not an if that's a when it IS going to happen it's what he does the best you can hope for is that he does it in November, December or January not April.

horner

May 22, 2007
OH you are going to love Kadri, until the day comes, and it will that he sees the red mist and loses his damn mind, gets himself suspended and costs you games, that's not an if that's a when it IS going to happen it's what he does the best you can hope for is that he does it in November, December or January not April.
Tkachuk
Kassian
Lucic
Nurse

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
eas·i·ly
adverb

Matthews $11.634
Tavares $11
Nylander $6.962
Marner $10
Reilly $7
Andersen $7

So you mean same problems as any team with a lot of Superstars will have? Oh my. How ever will the capologists figure it all out? What to do?

Maybe even a trade, to make something fit!! Wowsers. That will sure shake things up, won't it?

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
I like Barrie; I think he played with Muzzin briefly in a WC;

I don't know anything about Kerfoot.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Kadri didnt cost the Leafs games. Truth is their scoring forwards didnt step up when they were needed the most.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

Thing is, Dubas HAD to upgrade the D while working in a phonebooth cap wise...he got a great 1 by trading from an area of excess, who knows how it will play out? But when you are working with handcuffs on....generally, you get the worst of it in the long run.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Thing is, Dubas HAD to upgrade the D while working in a phonebooth cap wise...he got a great 1 by trading from an area of excess, who knows how it will play out? But when you are working with handcuffs on....generally, you get the worst of it in the long run.
Has nobody but himself to blame for that though :dunno:

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Has nobody but himself to blame for that though :dunno:
Hey, when your team drafts and develops well, unfortunately you have to pay for it. In the salary cap world that means tough decisions. We're not all lucky enough to have been able to lock up our superstars before the cap went up. Only Rielly and Kadri were locked up prior to the massive bumps we've seen in contracts. Your team has done a very good job recently at drafting and developing as well. Eventually, you'll be paying heavily for Landeskog, Mackinnon, Makar, etc. and by that point, the Marner and Matthews contracts will look cheap by comparison. The cycle will continue from there.

I wish there wasn't a cap...

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Hey, when your team drafts and develops well, unfortunately you have to pay for it. In the salary cap world that means tough decisions. We're not all lucky enough to have been able to lock up our superstars before the cap went up. Your team has done a very good job recently at drafting and developing as well. Eventually, you'll be paying heavily for Landeskog, Mackinnon, Makar, etc. and by that point, the Marner and Matthews contracts will look cheap by comparison. The cycle will continue from there.

I wish there wasn't a cap...
Well the Matthews/Nylander contracts are both pretty damn bad, are Leaf fans actually happy with the work Dubas has done so far?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad