Confirmed Trade: [TOR/COL] Tyson Barrie (@50%) , A. Kerfoot, '20 6th for Nazem Kadri, C. Rosen, '20 3rd - Pt.3

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Last two threads have been hilarious to read, especially about Kerfoot and wrong opinions from Av fans (for shame). Kerfoot is exactly the player who fades away in playoff season. Solid regular season contributor who has an amazing knack for garbage points, who cannot match postseason intensity.

Not that Kadri is perfect, but Barrie for an offensive defenceman who legitimately has talent also has some of the worst passing skills I've seen - a reason why he wasn't a higher pick than 3rd round. When Roy employed his breakout system which was to pass for a streaking forward into the neutral zone, Barrie's game was absolutely useless. There were major rumours that Roy - not saying he's right here - tried to do all his best to get rid of Barrie seasons' ago and one of the moves in the grapevine was to the Jets for Trouba. Tyson needs to have free reins, especially when it comes to rushing the puck to get the most out of him because his passing is frustrating (considering how much talent he has). One aspect which was a pain to see was on the powerplay, he was more of a product from MacKinnon and Rantanen instead of a catalyst. This isn't to say he's bad on the powerplay, Leafs have as good of weapons as we do with Matthews, Marner, and Tavares. Barrie should absolutely be fine, but PPQB isn't his strongest suit.

He's surprisingly a very good producer of points at even strength and why his contract will push into the eight's. However, another aspect I dislike of him and would make a night and day difference defensively is how he defends. Instead of trying to pull a Lidstrom and using his smarts with skill stick to outmaneuver forchequers, he tries to put some body in there and it just doesn't work due to his frame. That and he takes major risks at some of the worst times. In the playoffs, he kept trying to single handily stickhandle through five guys when we're up a goal instead of making the easy play and just giving it to the forward or dumping it in.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I still don't understand why Sakic helped the Leafs.

Sakic was told by Barrie's agent he will try (UFA) next year, so instead of losing him for nothing in a year he trades him for a player proven to be a solid second line centre. Toronto get's their Gardiner replacement but loses depth down their middle.

Not sure why he did this now, personally I think he can get more at trade deadline for a top pairing dman.

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
Sakic was told by Barrie's agent he will try (UFA) next year, so instead of losing him for nothing in a year he trades him for a player proven to be a solid second line centre. Toronto get's their Gardiner replacement but loses depth down their middle.

Not sure why he did this now, personally I think he can get more at trade deadline for a top pairing dman.

Ideally T-Boobs isn't a top pairing D on most teams. He's a top 4 offensive defender with a ton of heart and produces a ton of points. He's not going to log your tough defensive minutes though. I think it's a pretty good comparison between the two - for what they bring.

Kerfoot and Rosen are just throw ins.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Ideally T-Boobs isn't a top pairing D on most teams. He's a top 4 offensive defender with a ton of heart and produces a ton of points. He's not going to log your tough defensive minutes though. I think it's a pretty good comparison between the two - for what they bring.

I thought he was damn good against the Lames.

I feel sorry for Kerfoot though, if he knew he was gonna get traded he probably sign with Vancouver.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I know we complain about Dubas and his contract negotiating abilities but he’s done a fine job this off season in clearing cap space without hurting the roster to much.

He essentially replaced Marleau, Gardner, Zaitsev, Brown and Kadri with Ceci, Barrie and Kerfoot. The 1st they gave up should be in the 20-31 range so it’s not a huge loss to clear some space for Marner.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria

Last I checked Marner has no contract and the Leafs are not in a position of strength when it comes to trading salary away. Sakic could have got more than Kadri for Barrie @50% and Kerfoot.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Last I checked Marner has no contract and the Leafs are not in a position of strength when it comes to trading salary away. Sakic could have got more than Kadri for Barrie @50% and Kerfoot.
Like what? Keep in mind that the Avs were only making this trade to get a legit #2C.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth

I think you guys are seriously underrating Rosen. You're going to be pleasantly surprised next year when hes on your third pairing. Hes not some scrub minor leaguer.

Reactions: AvsGuy

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Ok, like whom exactly? Which 30 goal center, signed for multiple years on a great contract, were you going to get for 1 year of Barrie?

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway

Because we're not rebuilding anymore and don't expect to be out of the playoff picture by the deadline. Also, a deadline deal wouldn't feature our biggest need (2c) coming back, but most likely picks.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014

People are strongly underrating a 2C on a 4.5X3 contract. There is no one else in the league with kadris skill on that type of contract.

Reactions: Gatorbait19

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1