Confirmed with Link: [TOR/COL] Ryan O'Byrne for 2014 4th Round Pick

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
Fact: When we play against top teams, Phaneuf needs to be used heavily.
Fact: When Phaneuf is used heavily, his performance diminishes quite substantially
Fact: The acquisition of Ryan O'Byrne does absolutely nothing to remedy this situation
Fact: O'Byrne is a rental, but he is a RHD, which is a lesser need.

Unless O'Byrne can better is play, and be able to play on a line with Liles, this is a depth move (obviously). It's essentially insurance, but it doesn't make us a better team. Effectively we are the same team.

I would have loved someone to play with Phaneuf, and the prices weren't that high on trade deadline day. Either Nonis was cheap (such a move would likely cost a high pick and a decent prospect minimum), or nothing was really offered.

Perhaps I am skewed by my opinion that a #2/3 defender would make our hopes at the cup A LOT better, and that with this piece, we are essentially ready to contend. I'm probably in the minority in this opinion, but I will not waiver from it. I think people put way too much stock in "playoff experience". A game is a game is a game. It's not like the rules are changed, you're just facing stronger opponents.

The spot beside Phaneuf will remain our glaring weakness as we enter the playoffs. This weakness will cost us dearly in the playoffs. Hopefully the picks and prospects are worth it.

I laugh at the people dismissing ANY chance we have at the cup this year. Lesser teams have made it to the cup finals.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Fact: When Phaneuf is used heavily, his performance diminishes quite substantially
Fact: The acquisition of Ryan O'Byrne does absolutely nothing to remedy this situation

Unless O'Byrne can better is play, and be able to play on a line with Liles, this is a depth move (obviously). It's essentially insurance, but it doesn't make us a better team. Effectively we are the same team.

I would have loved someone to play with Phaneuf, and the prices weren't that high on trade deadline day. Either Nonis was cheap (such a move would likely cost a high pick and a decent prospect minimum), or nothing was really offered.

Perhaps I am skewed by my opinion that a #2/3 defender would make our hopes at the cup A LOT better, and that with this piece, we are essentially ready to contend. I'm probably in the minority in this opinion, but I will not waiver from it. I think people put way too much stock in "playoff experience". A game is a game is a game. It's not like the rules are changed, you're just facing stronger opponents.

The spot beside Phaneuf will remain our glaring weakness as we enter the playoffs. This weakness will cost us dearly in the playoffs. Hopefully the picks and prospects are worth it.

I laugh at the people dismissing ANY chance we have at the cup this year. Lesser teams have made it to the cup finals.

I agree with all you have said and been saying it myself. The only thing I got from people here were pretty much yelled at and called name but they did not offer reasons why I am wrong so its ok.

You're right, 3 PPG guys is and the balanced scoring etc leads me to believe we should have bought a good D etc. Makes no sense to squander this...What if this is Kadri or Lupuls magic year? Maybe they fade to Grabovski post MGK line status what then.

I would have grabbed a C for (trade)Bozak, a good D for Dion and maybe even Lu if all it was, was Scrivens and a 2 and a 3. Why not go for it. Anything can happen in the playoffs.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON

FACT: The majority of people on this board have seen less than 2 Avalanche games this season and needed google to even know what he looked like.

I called this trade 2 weeks ago. He is averaging 18 minutes a night and can play on the Penalty Kill. He can also fight if need be, so why is everyone hating on it? The Leafs got a 4th round pick from the Oilers this year, which could turn into a 3rd if they make the playoffs.

I'm more comfortable with having O'Byrne in the lineup paired with Liles than Kostka. And you're right about this post. Anyone can go far in the playoffs with good depth and solid goaltending.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton

How is a RHD a lesser need???

Kbs

Jun 30, 2008
London ON
I agree with all you have said and been saying it myself. The only thing I got from people here were pretty much yelled at and called name but they did not offer reasons why I am wrong so its ok.

You're right, 3 PPG guys is and the balanced scoring etc leads me to believe we should have bought a good D etc. Makes no sense to squander this...What if this is Kadri or Lupuls magic year? Maybe they fade to Grabovski post MGK line status what then.

I would have grabbed a C for (trade)Bozak, a good D for Dion and maybe even Lu if all it was, was Scrivens and a 2 and a 3. Why not go for it. Anything can happen in the playoffs.

It takes 2 teams to trade. Why do you assume we could've gotten a good centre and an ideal partner for Phaneuf?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
It takes 2 teams to trade. Why do you assume we could've gotten a good centre and an ideal partner for Phaneuf?

Because JBo was traded and I highly doubt they wouldnt have traded Gio.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
I remember when the Habs had that really strong playoff run with Halak. O'Byrne was playing and you didn't notice him a ton. Which is probably a good thing, was doing his job and would lay the rare big hit. Good depth and or substitute if there is poor performance from others

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
How is a RHD a lesser need???

1. There are far more left handed D in the league than right handed D.
2. A similarly skilled LHD can do the job almost as well
3. We have (barely) enough RHD in the system at the moment

Yes I would prefer a RHD over a LHD, but I wouldn't break the bank for it. And I would prefer the #2/#3 D to be RHD, but I wouldn't overpay for such a small thing. This trade was simply insurance, it doesn't make us any better than we were last game. Of course there is the lottery ticket chance that the player plays better here than he did with the other team, but that chance occurs with any trade. There is also a chance that the player plays worse.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton

Yes I would prefer a RHD over a LHD, but I wouldn't break the bank for it. And I would prefer the #2/#3 D to be RHD, but I wouldn't overpay for such a small thing. This trade was simply insurance, it doesn't make us any better than we were last game. Of course there is the lottery ticket chance that the player plays better here than he did with the other team, but that chance occurs with any trade. There is also a chance that the player plays worse.
We have no RHD in the system other than Blacker and if you've played hockey there's a huge difference in playing the wrong side on defense.

The Caveman

We are all the goat
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, PQ

So what you are saying is that Nonis should have traded for \
1- replacement for Bozak, another top line C,
2-a top line D and
3-take on Lu's f**cked up contract

You would have had to pull the team apart to do so or trade off our best prospects. Lu's contract is poison.

Just so that we might have more of a chance this year?

CerebralDevil

Jul 14, 2011

I dont understand why u are compplaining about a big body to help with the PK even more and a RHD dman. TML need size back there and O'Byrne blocks shots and hits. Is he the best defense man out there,.....no, but he is a big solid defensive dman.
Boumester is soft and horrible defensively, so I dont know why he is in high demand with that huge overpayment of $6.8million/yr and someone we dont need at the TDL. Everyone complains when the Leafs do nothing and complain when they do, just sit back and watch before you blab.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB

You're not thinking objectively in terms of how the coach runs the show.

He is a match-up maniac and he wants guys paired on the proper sides because although a LHD can do a competent job on the RH, it isn't the optimal position, especially for Stay-At-Home types because their stick faces towards the boards, which shortens their reach by a good 15-20" towards the middle of the ice.

Carlyle likes to have guys playing the correct side. While we may have guys in the system, none are presently fit to play and be relied upon.

It's a solid move, although O'Byrne doesn't have a great reference sheet...

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Lol think we might have a new whipping boy

This is what I was gonna say.

Embarrassing how everyone's mad at O'Byrne for not being Jay Bouwmeester, or even Stephane Robidas. Despite what you tell me, that's at the core of everyone's assumptions and hate on this guy.

Watch him play 5 or so games before judging him for gods sake.

You can't have too many defenceman in the NHL, especially in a shortened season where we're gonna play close to every other night from here on out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad