Confirmed with Link: [TOR/COL] Ryan O'Byrne for 2014 4th Round Pick

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I haven't noticed a huge difference in the number of odd-man rushes, but obviously you're the second person to to corroborate that, so I'll concede it.

no need to concede that - we still give up breakaway with regularity. Latendresse had two last game, Lucic has one in the Boston game, and we've allowed many others.

It's just that our goalies are saving more of them this year.

bobg1

Sep 21, 2006
bc
If the rumours are true, we could've gotten Luongo for Scrivens and a second. Luongo is a much bigger name than Johnson even if his contract is poop. So I think Scrivens and a good defenseman (prospect) and a second could have maybe gotten Johnson. Johnson hasn't really lived up to the hype so his trade value is down. The only reason it is a bit more than it should be is because he was taken first overall.

Actually it was Scrivens and 2 2nd rounders just to take Lou's contract

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

yep, Reimer and Scrivens have been much, much better than last year.

but, to Randy's credit, our PK is way, way better as well, even ignoring the goalies.

Mirtle had an article a couple of days ago which quoted some professional hockey stats firms' analysis of the Leafs' improvement defensively this year. They broke it down like this:

Team Defense 5-on-5 has improved 3%
Team Defense on the PK has improved 13%
Goaltending (even considering shot volume and quality) has improved 17%.

That breakdown by the stats professionals pretty much agrees exactly with what I've been seeing on the ice this year.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
If you think the new system of Carlyle has little or nothing to do with our improved defense play, including the goalies, I would honestly advise you to step away from the statistics and possibly never watch hockey again.

The change in shot quality from last year to this year is absolutely unreal.

Absolutely 100% correct.

True that.

I felt like you guys wouldn't click on the links, so I tried to quote the key points to make it super accessible, but I clearly failed you my friends.

Mock me all you want gents, everything I've said is objectively backed.

Our goalies are better than last year but the Leafs are doing a good job of blocking shots, clearing rebounds and making sure there are no second and third chances for teams to whack the rebound home.

We're not giving up many quality chances....if we were giving up the same chances as we were for the most part of last year, we would be in the hunt for Seth Jones.

I don't care if we get outshot because we usually win when we do get outshot.

Absolutely correct -- of our 20 wins, we've been outshot in all but 5 of them.

You should care, because this is a problem. This is not how good teams operate.

The top teams in the league like Boston, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Montreal, all of those guys have positive shot differentials. The teams that people are surprised to see doing so well like us, Anaheim, Ottawa, and Columbus? Negative shot differentials. At -4.5, we're in there with the Buffalos and Floridas of the league. This is problematic, and I really can't emphasize that enough.

tl;dr teams that get outshot lose more often than not.

yep, Reimer and Scrivens have been much, much better than last year.

but, to Randy's credit, our PK is way, way better as well, even ignoring the goalies.

Mirtle had an article a couple of days ago which quoted some professional hockey stats firms' analysis of the Leafs' improvement defensively this year. They broke it down like this:

Team Defense 5-on-5 has improved 3%
Team Defense on the PK has improved 13%
Goaltending (even considering shot volume and quality) has improved 17%.

That breakdown by the stats professionals pretty much agrees exactly with what I've been seeing on the ice this year.

Everything I've been saying. 5v5 defensive improvement has been minimal. We're winning games on the back of Reimer and a top 5 PK.

Last edited:

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
I like this trade.

Phaneuf - Gunnarsson
Gardiner - Franson
Liles - O'Byrne
Kostka - Fraser

You need depth in playoffs.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
I don't know how to feel about this trade...don't know much about O'Byrne but it seems like nothing but negative comments on the main board.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
I don't know how to feel about this trade...don't know much about O'Byrne but it seems like nothing but negative comments on the main board.

Carlyle (and Eakins) made Mark Fraser into a very nice defensive defenceman.

His system allows these one-dimensional defensive guys to shine.

All we are expecting is a good #5/6 defenceman.

I think he'll do well. Such a big body with great range.

Also plays physical in front of the net.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

We could acquire Crosby for Fraser and Franson and guaranteed the first response would be "Hes got concussion issues, Leafs traded a quality 3rd pairing for him ROTFLMAO stupid Leafs"

At worst, hes defensive depth for the playoffs. If he plays well in even one game, thats almost assuredly one game more then that 4th rd pick will turn in to.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I don't know much about him, will reserve judgement.

I was really hoping they'd bring in someone to play with Phanuef. This, IMO, is the greatest need by far and Gunnar isn't close to being the man for the job.

Were there any reports of other defensemen available that Nonis passed on?

Mojo19

Loyal since 1987
Dec 29, 2006
Nova Scotia
Remember watching him when he played for MTL.
Looked solid defensively, but nothing special. Definitely seems like a Dmen that will fit into Carlyle's system.

RhinoD

Feb 6, 2013
Franklin, NC
After reading almost all 20 pages of this thread there are two things I know...

1. 90 percent of Leaf fans are too high on Jake Gardiner. A defenseman that can not play sound defense deserves to be in the press box or with the Marlies. I dont care how fast he is, I dont care how good he is offensively. His job is to play defense and right now he is not very good at that.

2. O'Byrne will get his own bash thread as soon as he is one the ice for a goal.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Go check out what Devils fans had to say about Mark Fraser when we traded for him.

Or pretty much all of the Leaf fans about Beauchemin, etc.

I'm not saying O'Byrne will be more than what he is, or even be good for us, but there's plenty of variables that can make a player struggle or excel on a team.

I'm not expecting much from O'Byrne, with good reason, he's only here to provide depth and probably replace Kostka down the stretch.

NigelTufnel

Dec 3, 2010
Ottawa
He fills a need (RH defense), gives us depth and experience, and we didn't overpay.

What is everyone freaking out about.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I like this trade.

Phaneuf - Gunnarsson
Gardiner - Franson
Liles - O'Byrne
Kostka - Fraser

You really think these will be the pairings right now? Gardiner is not getting back in the lineup until one of these guys falters or gets injured. O'Byrne gets an opportunity to play with Liles and if he doesn't perform Gardiner will get his shot.

NigelTufnel

Dec 3, 2010
Ottawa
Who's "freaking out"?

Perhaps "freaking out" is a little strong, maybe I should have said "over-reacting"

Plenty of posts through this thread calling him a scrub, saying we should have just called up Komi, complaints about this further burying Gardiner, people claiming he's worse than Kostka before seeing him play for us, etc.

Normal Leafs fans type of stuff.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
I've always thought Komisarek sucks but I'm still a bit surprised about this

Carlyle must really not be able to stand him because he tries to much trying to prove himself.

JAMmer124

Independent Living
Aug 13, 2010
Welland, Ontario
I like this trade.

Phaneuf - Gunnarsson
Gardiner - Franson
Liles - O'Byrne
Kostka - Fraser

uhm....no.

Gunnarsson-Phaneuf
Fraser-Franson
Liles-O'Byrne
Gardiner-Kostka

Fraser-Franson pairing has been great for us from game 1, no need to break them up. Gardiner needs to earn his way back into the line-up.

beleaf67

Mar 2, 2013
Ottawa Valley
Perhaps "freaking out" is a little strong, maybe I should have said "over-reacting"

Plenty of posts through this thread calling him a scrub, saying we should have just called up Komi, complaints about this further burying Gardiner, people claiming he's worse than Kostka before seeing him play for us, etc.

Normal Leafs fans type of stuff.

I think most people expected to get Robbidas/Morris/Gio and we got him instead. so people are disapointed. Maybe it wasn't as bad dispapointment as when we were hopping for Blake and we got Aki Berg. :sarcasm:

He is depth addition (and nothing more) for a cheap 4th round pick, basically we got him for Brown (who got us 4th round pick from Edmonton).

Lets please judge the guy after at least few games... ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00