Confirmed with Link: [TOR/COL] Ryan O'Byrne for 2014 4th Round Pick

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Mostly seems solid and invisible, like an afterthought. Which is quite a refreshing as far as "shutdown" defensemen go in Toronto. Hope he keeps it up.

TopProspect91

Registered Abuser
Sep 11, 2004
Toronto
Does he hit hard or rub guys out?

From watching the past couple games, he seems extremely strong on the boards (ala Fraser) but doesn't seem to be a big hitter. Sound defensively, looked decent with Gardiner last night.

I expect him to run with the #5 spot on D and Gards & Liles to alternate the rest of the way.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
I like Carlyles thinking with adding O'Byrne. Fraser has let Franson play his game and O'Byrne should allow Liles and Gardiner to do the same. Not to mention having another right handed shot means you can ring the puck around the boards to start up an attack with another pairing now.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
That really is a lot of huge D when he is in the lineup. Even when they arent hitting they are hard to move around and can wear fprwards down.

I think his past history is inconsistent from year to year and clearly he was playing much worse for a weak team than a strong one. He could be a solid player for them for the playoffs. More cautious than Komi.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Assuming O'Byrne is retained and he can just play his game quietly, and assuming Fraser keeps it up too, you wonder why on earth anyone would draft Luke Schenn type prospects and sign Mike Komisarek free agent duds to fat contracts at all.

SteveV*

Wasn't a fan of trade, still believe we have to many D now, but I've been pretty impressed with this "plug" so far.

Anth93

Jul 2, 2012
Assuming O'Byrne is retained and he can just play his game quietly, and assuming Fraser keeps it up too, you wonder why on earth anyone would draft Luke Schenn type prospects and sign Mike Komisarek free agent duds to fat contracts at all.
This is a good point, but we all know that when Schenn is on his game.. He's on another level.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
What about Liles? He played very well just to be pushed back for this guy? Granted he has had a few good games and actually almost got a goal last night but still. The honeymoon period will stop and he is really a bottom paring defenceman.

Anth93

Jul 2, 2012
What about Liles? He played very well just to be pushed back for this guy? Granted he has had a few good games and actually almost got a goal last night but still. The honeymoon period will stop and he is really a bottom paring defenceman.
It's more about what Carlyle wants.

Liles has been treated like a dog this year and I feel terrible for him.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT

If anyone pushes Liles out it is Gardiner. I expect come playoff time Liles will find himself playing.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

I don't think Luke Schenn was considered a strictly defensive D. Was he not compared to a guy like Shea Weber in scouting reports?

I'm pretty sure Luke Schenn's ceiling was Shea Weber.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008

2 games of O'Byrne and you come to this conclusion? Schenn when he was drafted was regarded as a Adam Foote potential which this year he's been playing to that potential and Komisarek when he was at his best was like Brooks Orpik... like any type of player rather it be a shut down type or a top line forward there's a difference in quality.

O'Byrne is a filler big difference between him and Schenn if you or anybody else doesn't see it than shame on you cause Schenn is exactly what is missing on the blue line this year....

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
He's been a shot blocking machine. Barely noticed him Vs Montreal, in the occasional time I did notice him I was thinking whose #23?

I like that we have guys like Fraser, Orr, McLaren to take the pressure off him from fighting, and he can just focus on playing his game. Which isn't normally a very physical mean game. Obviously I'd prefer him to naturally be physical, but he's not, and I think when someone tries to go out of their element, they are less effective. In a past interview on youtube, he said he felt the pressure to fight, in order to stay in the league (a few years ago).

Kbs

Jun 30, 2008
London ON
I don't think Luke Schenn was considered a strictly defensive D. Was he not compared to a guy like Shea Weber in scouting reports?

I'm pretty sure Luke Schenn's ceiling was Shea Weber.

I thought he was always compared to Adam Foote. I think Foote was what TSN compared him to on draft day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad