Confirmed with Link: [TOR/COL] Ryan O'Byrne for 2014 4th Round Pick

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
i'm tired of the costco experiment
o'byrne is lurking

I don't get why people don't like Kostka.

The guy has been rock steady back there, without the benefit of the sheltered minutes guys like Fraser and Franson get.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009

The guy has been rock steady back there, without the benefit of the sheltered minutes guys like Fraser and Franson get.

I don't either. Admittedly he may have tailed off a bit since the start of the season, but not much more could be expected of him. I think its a reputation thing. He's not a highly touted prospect who had lofty expectations, so some folk are quick to write him off. As a 6th/7th depth defender on our team, he's done a great job.

Kbs

Jun 30, 2008
London ON

I don't mind Kostka, but he is so bad in the offensive zone. I understand that someone has to play the point on the powerplay units, but he always kills the momentum by missing passes or faking shots at the blueline.

If Carlyle didn't insist on putting him on the powerplay, I'd probably be more in favour of him being a regular player. He's steady in the defensive zone for the most part though.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

After years of watching defencemen trade chances while pinching while we give up goals that had us 29th and 30th in GA in the league, it mystifies me also, why this guy gets so much hate?

We can go back to Lebda, Komi, Schenn, Kaberle, and lead the NHL in most goals against. There's a reason why we cut our goals against this year, and it's no coincidence we are likely making the playoffs the 1st time in since we changed regimes in the Burke era because of D men like Kostka and Fraser.

Murphy Blue

Live blue
Nov 12, 2008
Newfoundland
O'Byrne must have heard we had some free wallets. :sarcasm:

Edit: Also, it would have been better to sign Ranger to a contract for the playoffs. He must really not be into playing in the NHL right now.

Last edited:

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Kostka would be fine if he skated faster. Right now, his combination of strength*speed is not very good.

If he can skate faster and work on strength, he would would be a fine top 4 Dman

ShLou Foot

6-8-5-13
Jul 3, 2011
crusoed
I laugh at the people dismissing ANY chance we have at the cup this year. Lesser teams have made it to the cup finals.

HAHA, Ok you show me a team(s) that have won a Stanley cup with a goalie that had NO playoff experience.( And don't bring up JR's run with the ECHL)

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
HAHA, Ok you show me a team(s) that have won a Stanley cup with a goalie that had NO playoff experience.( And don't bring up JR's run with the ECHL)

Carolina with Cam Ward

Chicago with Antti Niemi

Giguere had one series of experience before winning the cup with Anaheim.

Kbs

Jun 30, 2008
London ON

I'm bored so I looked up some past winners with a goalie that had 0 playoff experience. Obviously Toronto isn't necessarily as good as these teams, but it was kinda interesting to see which teams went into the playoffs with an inexperienced goalie.

Chicago won with Niemi
Carolina won with Ward
Montreal won with Roy in '86

I stopped when I got to Roy in 1986. So, it's kinda rare that a goalie with no playoff experience can lead a team to a cup :laugh:

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I feel fine with Kostka, Liles Gardiner in there. I am apprehensive about ROB taking one of those spots, would prefer him to be strictly depth in case of injuries, but he is being slotted in to a top 4 role by many. I suppose you have to give him a chance to prove himself and get comfortable with the systems we will see if he steps up his game. I think many will be unforgiving if he messes up big time causing goals etc.

BudMaster17

Gap Inspector
Feb 12, 2008
Toronto
Due to the large population in Toronto, the downtown core will offer many purses and handbags for him to chose from.

Yes but he is very fussy about his purses, it must be a MC's and leather. He really enjoys black ones as it brings out the colour of his eyes and matches his high heels.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada

I really don't understand it either, though I knew the mob was going to turn on him once Holzer was sent down.

sangreale

Feb 21, 2008
I feel fine with Kostka, Liles Gardiner in there. I am apprehensive about ROB taking one of those spots, would prefer him to be strictly depth in case of injuries, but he is being slotted in to a top 4 role by many. I suppose you have to give him a chance to prove himself and get comfortable with the systems we will see if he steps up his game. I think many will be unforgiving if he messes up big time causing goals etc.

If you change "think" to "bet every cent you have" your post will be more honest. :D

bib

#believe
Aug 28, 2007
I get the Komisarek being rusty or injured comments.

But honestly, he only got rusty in the first place because he wasn't being played.

When playing with confidence, Komisarek is better than O'Byrne, no doubt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad