Confirmed with Link: [TOR/CGY] Andrew Nielsen for Morgan Klimchuk

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
He's strictly an AHL acquisition. Zero chance he ever plays for the Leafs.
Leafs forward depth is very thin. Moore is our number one call up. . If Dubas is acquiring this player (Klimchuk), I would expect he sees him as a player that can grind and play a Hyman role on a scoring line with some time in the system. Or he's AHL depth, but it's not like the Marlies are full of options right now.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Insert obligatory what is Dubas doing wasting his time with this stuff while Nylander is unsigned as if you can't walk and chew gum at the same time.

Now that that's out of the way, this is just the Leafs cutting bait and taking the guy who's contract is over after this season. The downside of ELC slides in the first AHL year for late birthdays is when they bust you wish their contract didn't slide. Not a difficult issue to deal with however.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
Leafs forward depth is very thin. Moore is our number one call up. . If Dubas is acquiring this player (Klimchuk), I would expect he sees him as a player that can grind and play a Hyman role on a scoring line with some time in the system. Or he's AHL depth, but it's not like the Marlies are full of options right now.
Moore, Grundstrom, Engvall, Marchment are all better players than Klimchuk. When Nylander comes back that adds to the depth and somebody has to either sit or go to AHL.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

That's really not correct at all. Moore is no slouch and has earned that chance. There are more than a few guys who can step in as well like Grundstrom and Marchment with more guys developing behind them (Bracco, Engvall, Brooks, Timashov).

Klimchuk should slide into that Marchment tier and provide some nice secondary scoring. It also allows the Leafs to use other guys as trade chips and not lose the depth.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Insert obligatory what is Dubas doing wasting his time with this stuff while Nylander is unsigned as if you can't walk and chew gum at the same time.

Now that that's out of the way, this is just the Leafs cutting bait and taking the guy who's contract is over after this season. The downside of ELC slides in the first AHL year for late birthdays is when they bust you wish their contract didn't slide. Not a difficult issue to deal with however.
Minor message to Nylander's camp that the business of hockey goes on for our Leafs. Just spitballing.

Reactions: indigobuffalo

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Seems like a move for the marlies for some depth on the wing to help out but really hope this doesn’t push out one of our other guys who have a future like Grundstrom, Engvall, Marchment, even Timo.

Saying that tho Nielsen got worse the last 2 years and now we have Sandin, Rosen and Borg ... all of whom are much more important in the grand scheme of things

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
My friend who works at the airport had his mother tell him about this trade. She's related to the neighbor of someone i never met. so therefore I had no idea this was happening nor do i really care. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Willy wassup?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
klimchuk's cap hit is around 700K and then RFA next season and Neilson around 697K for two more seasons

this season leafs don't have any cap issues; all the cap BS starts next season

if the difference between leafs and nylander is around 300K as was reported on a bridge deal; this trade helps as leafs gain 700K on cap space next season by not qualifying klimchuk; giving that 300K to willy still leaves them with 400K extra to play with wrt to cap space; and with increases in cap that could help them sign ELC or one other RFAs.

every dollar counts when it comes to cap management.

for more info go read @mouser 's posts on the mainboards. very informative

But Nielson and Klimchuk aren’t NHL roster players. Their cap hits don’t matter

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I love the move. Both are unlikely to have any NHL upside barring a miraculous improvement in trajectory, but we have a bigger logjam on the Marlies at defense than offense. This allows us to give a little bit more playing time to our other guys even though Nielsen was only playing a few games anyways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad