Confirmed with Link: [TOR/CGY] Andrew Nielsen for Morgan Klimchuk

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
It's from the Hockey News, and seem to be auto-generated for every player shorter than 6'1".
Marner - Is undersized
Kappy - Is not overly big
Nylander - Is undersized
Grundstrom - Doesn’t have ideal size

Kadri listed at 6, 190 didn’t get the narrative.

Gardiner at 6’2, 200 is fine.
Dermott at 6’, 215 lacks ideal size.

The narrative for players just continues.
What do they base it on? Height, weight, etc.
They really need to refine this.

Reactions: Menzinger

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I know this doesn't fit the reports on Klimchuk but he doesn't seem like a super impressive skater to me. It's kind of sloppy and not particularly agile.

Half the time I take "doesn't have ideal size" as meaning "he's a talented player but not so talented and elite skating that his average or below average size is irrelevant".

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Marner - Is undersized
Nylander - Is undersized

copy and paste. If a player is 6'2 is good size. Under is automatic undersized

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
copy and paste. If a player is 6'2 is good size. Under is automatic undersized
I used to work in Customer service and whenever I see complain such as attitude problem.... with nothing specific, it is pretty much a generic answer. I get the same feeling whenever I read scouting reports when it said lack size and others

Reactions: Walshy7

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
Marner - Is undersized
Nylander - Is undersized

What's the average size for an NHL player? I'm guessing 6' or 5'11"
Anything below that measurement is technically below average. If you want to be intellectually dishonest there is a lot of material to play with.

"Undersized" is typically anything below 5'11" in my opinion, but that's just MY definition.

Dermott may be short for a defenseman but he's not undersized at 215 lbs. He's a bull. Have you ever heard the expression "he's short but not small?"

Nylander is about 6' and is not undersized. Kappy is built like a truck.

Marner is listed at 6'...He's average height for an NHL player but slightly built. He's also only 21 years old. Kadri was not very heavy at that age either and now he's a solid 190-200 lbs.

Last edited:

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I'm not sure why we did this. Another winger ? Nielsen has been buried. Liljegren, Rosen , Sandin, Borgman. He gets a new chance.. best of luck.. I guess.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
When I first saw the trade, I saw that the Leafs made a trade with the Flames and someone named Morgan was involved. My heart stopped.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
One meh player for another meh player, however, it shows the Nylander camp that the Toronto Maple Leafs are not completely frozen from conducting the business of hockey.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
who wrote this scouting report? Brian Burke

"Does not have ideal size for the National Hockey League game, so he needs to continue to pack on the bulk and get stronger"

He is the same height but a little less weight than Nylander and is bigger than Marner
And size has never been an advantage for either. The opposite really.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I expect this to be a pure AHL trade. But Klimchuk should at least be a good player for the Marlies, Nielsen was mostly getting healthy scratched.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Flames welcome defensive prospect in minor trade with Maple Leafs
According to Treliving, Calgary’s scouting staff liked Nielsen in the lead-up to the 2015 NHL Draft, when the Maple Leafs called his name early in the third round.

The Flames are now hoping their latest acquisition can re-discover some of his offensive touch from his first professional campaign. He racked up 14 goals and 25 helpers in 74 skates with the Marlies in 2016-17.

“Not a lot of guys come in and have those type of statistics in their first year in the American League,” Treliving said. “As you’ve heard me say, not everybody develops at the same rate. So I think he took a big step in his 20-year-old year to jump on the scene … We have some reasons why we think he maybe took a step back. We have to get to know the kid a bit more. We’ve done a lot of homework on him, but he probably hasn’t taken as many steps forward as he was hoping and anticipating."

“But I like the attributes of his size. I like the attributes of his range. I like his shot. He’s shown an ability to create offence at the American League level. So now, he has to dig in here and we have to push him to take those steps forward.”

The Flames selected Klimchuk at No. 28 overall in the first round of the 2013 NHL Draft, with a pick acquired as part of the late-night, franchise-altering trade that landed Jarome Iginla in Pittsburgh.

Klimchuk was the last remaining piece of that swap still in Calgary’s system. (Jay Feaster, not Treliving, was GM of the Flames at that time.)

“I have nothing but good things to say about Morgan Klimchuk. He is a real good young man,” Treliving said. “But we have some depth up front, we needed to create some more depth on the blue-line, and so we find a deal that hopefully works for both sides.”

Reactions: TML Dynasty

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Stars spoil Grey Cup celebration, down Flames in OT
“I think, honestly, I’m at a good place in my game. I just need the opportunity,” said Nielsen, a third-round selection of the Maple Leafs in the 2015 NHL Draft. “I want people to know I can make good first pass, that I can skate, that I can be trusted defensively . . ."

“I feel like fans should be expecting me to be a big, physical presence on the back-end and in the defensive zone. I love to jump up in the rush, to be the fourth man in the rush and make plays over the red-line and in the offensive zone. I quarterback a power-play really well, I think. I have a good shot, good hockey sense."

“I’m just looking to get the opportunity to grow my game more and develop into the player the Flames want me to be.”
“Instant chills . . . Honestly, that was the first thing I felt,” Nielsen said, reliving Tuesday’s trade call. “I always kind of envisioned myself, if I ever got the chance to sign in Calgary or if a trade presented itself to go to Calgary, that I would always want to try to get there. So I’m very lucky and fortunate that this happened early in my career."

“I’m just so excited and so looking forward to the opportunity.”

Reactions: smitty10

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Did well on the 2013 U18 team Canada. I think finishing 2nd in scoring. Although he was on the ice with McDavid a lot..so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad