Confirmed with Link: [TOR/CGY] Andrew Nielsen for Morgan Klimchuk

TheFloater

May 25, 2008
Mississauga
Too bad about Nielsen. I thought he might turn into something after his first AHL year, but like Loov and Valiev, he didn't progress after that first season. He's been passed in the depth chart, so one way or another, he wasn't coming back next year anyway. Klimchuk has done alright the past couple years in the AHL (about 40 points in 60 games both seasons). There could be some depth potential here.

Reactions: Lauro

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
Saw that "confirmed with link" banner and got excited...

ugh

kb

Aug 28, 2009
As a Flames perspective -- I think Klimchuk will probably be your Ennis replacement. He's excellent on the PK and was 2nd our farm team in scoring last year. You'll like him
Thanks for the info. Neilsen was a definite change of scenery candidate. Maybe he can make strides in your organization because he was getting buried by depth here.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Slightly older player coming in, drafted higher, with one more game of NHL experience...it's a trade. Wonder which other irons might be in the fire? ;)

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Here is how Morgan Klimchuk was described by TSN at 2013 NHL draft:

- has good hockey sense

- has good competitiveness

- has good goal scoring and playmaking abilities

- is a complementary player who fits well on whatever line he is playing on

- a scout says Klimchuk has a little bit of Steve Larmer in him

- players say Klimchuk is a guy they respect, like to play with, and find hard to play against

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Nielsen is arguably not even an AHL guy at this point. Can barely keep up with AHL speed, let alone NHL speed.

Klimchuk at the very least can be a call up if we need a 4th liner in a pinch.

I would still rather call up Grundstrom, Engvall, Marchment, before him still though, so I wouldn’t be surprised if Klimchuk is let go at the end of the year anyway. Gets us out of Nielsen’s contract a spot a season early

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
It's ok. He doesn't rely upon it. Nothing special, but he can keep up.

He's a very consistent player. Just couldn't get a chance in Calgary. I think Toronto will be a good fit
If he couldn't get a chance in Calgary he certainly won't for Toronto. The Leafs have twice the depth of Calgary up front.

Reactions: Al14

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
yay we win the trade then. Nielsens skating isnt even AHL level
I don't know if we can help the kid improve, but at least he has more to work with than nielsen.
If he can follow marchment it would be pretty good for us.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Shame Nielsen couldn't get going here, maybe he will in Calgary. He was jumped by so many others in our depth chart. He didn't play a single game in the Calder cup run right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad