Confirmed with Link: [TOR/CBJ] TOR acquire Riley Nash for Conditional. 7th Pick in 2022

bpower

Aug 21, 2005
It's not freeing up his cap hit. It's adding LTIR to cover his cap hit. There's no net gain. This has been explained dozens of times.

I see what you are saying, we are talking about 2 different things. I am talking about how much LTIR space we have, and you are talking about how much LTIR space we have left.

Last edited:

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
You're wrong. At that time Nash had not been placed on the LTIR yet. Now he has, freeing up his cap hit as well.
Ya. However, leafs reactive Freddy from the LTIR or IR after Nash placed on the LTIR. SO, no cap hit now. :popcorn:

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Exact amount they can take on in trade right now plz.

We have exactly $1,707,162. Actually sorry zeke, I have no clue. Pretty sure it's around $1.5m. Going to follow up with some numbers in a bit as I try and figure something out.

Last edited:
Reactions: zeke

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
If the Leafs take on salary, then likely he is out for the season.

Yea for sure if they go substantially more than $1.5m then it's likely he's gone. I'm just saying we won't eat into the space that we need Freddy to fill when he comes off LTIR. It's a very long way to go from "day-to-day" which is essentially what he still is right now after a week of tests to "season ending injury".

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
We have exactly $1,707,162. Actually sorry zeke, I have no clue. Pretty sure it's around $1.5m. Going to follow up with some numbers in a bit as I try and figure something out.
i have no clue what you are talking about but Freidman just tweeted we have

6.6m cap space if we put hutch/marincin to the taxi squad

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
The cold calculated move would be to sit Andersen until the playoffs. Trade for a 1B type goalie cough cough Ullmark. If freddy or Campbell cant stay healthy you have a viable option. If you aren't going to re sign Andersen maybe the leafs are comfortable with a tandem of Ullmark and Campbell next year. If freddy goes legend in the playoffs and you lose Ullmark for nothing at least you had the insurance. With the extra cap space you can grab a depth D (Oleksiak) and top 6 forward (Foligno). Plug those additions into cap friendly and see how sick that lineup looks.

Reactions: willmma

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Exact amount they can take on in trade right now plz.

OK, I'm fairly confident we have exactly $1,168,842 in cap space to spend at the TDL.

It's as simple as CF reporting that we are using $1,581,158 in LTIR space. So we subtract that from Nash's cap hit: $2,750,000 - $1,581,158 = $1,168,842 remaining in the salary relief pool.

It's confusing because cap friendly is also reporting information like we have $500k in deadline cap space. But the projected numbers are already taking into consideration the cap space we accrued before hand. So we have $1,168,842 to work with. I thought it was a bit more.

And to be clear it is $1,581,158 in deadline space. So it's not a situation where we can use a ratio of number of days left in the season to project a higher AAV we can take on. That's straight LTIR relief pool space.

Last edited:
Reactions: zeke

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
It's not freeing up his cap hit. It's adding LTIR to cover his cap hit. There's no net gain. This has been explained dozens of times.

You only get relief if you go over your cap limit.

There is no cap benefit if the Leafs are under the cap, IE you don't accrue what you don't use.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
OK, I'm fairly confident we have exactly $1,168,842 in cap space to spend at the TDL.

It's as simple as CF reporting that we are using $1,581,158 in LTIR space. So we subtract that from Nash's cap hit: $2,750,000 - $1,581,158 = $1,168,842 remaining in the salary relief pool.

It's confusing because cap friendly is also reporting information like we have $500k in deadline cap space. But the projected numbers are already taking into consideration the cap space we accrued before hand. So we have $1,168,842 to work with. I thought it was a bit more.

And to be clear it is $1,581,158 in deadline space. So it's not a situation where we can use a ratio of number of days left in the season to project a higher AAV we can take on. That's straight LTIR relief pool space.

@zeke capfriendly updated their daily accumulation numbers from having marincin and barabanov on the roster to maximize acsl and we now have $750k in LTIR space (after demoting barabanov and marincin). That’s enough to get a $3m player with double retention.

If we somehow waive and demote Joe we could get that up to $1.45m/$5.8m but then we’re talking about only being able to fit a 20 man roster and that’s pretty risky. I think it’s more likely we’d just move out a roster player to make more space.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
i have no clue what you are talking about but Freidman just tweeted we have

6.6m cap space if we put hutch/marincin to the taxi squad

Freddy isn’t out for the season. When he gets healthy, Leafs have to re-activate him. They won’t be using that $5m of space, sorry to tell you. But you can dream!

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Trust in Pridham. I think he helped write up the original NHL CAP document when he worked for the NHL. Every deal that happens, we say "woah, I didn't now we could do that". It's like he has editing rights in the Google doc or something.

Reactions: Confucius

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Freddy isn’t out for the season. When he gets healthy, Leafs have to re-activate him. They won’t be using that $5m of space, sorry to tell you. But you can dream!
Robidas_Island.0.jpeg

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Here we go again. You saying something doesn't make it a fact.

This is exactly correct. Leafs saying something makes it a fact. You know what they haven’t said? That Freddy is out for the season.

You know what that means? We can’t presume to use the cap space that he fills.

So factually speaking, the Leafs do not have that cap space to use yet, until they learn and announce otherwise.

Think of it this way. If someone says “Hey guys how much cap can we use at the deadline?”, the answer shouldn’t just involve trading a player away and say you can’t prove it won’t happen. Like I can’t say that Leafs have an extra $3.5m to use because hey they could trade Kerfoot. It’s assumed that the capspace you have to use is based on what you know, not based on what is not factual and especially highly unlikely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad