Confirmed Trade: [TOR/CAR] Marleau, 2020 1st Rd. (Top 10 Prot.) & 2020 7th Rd. to CAR for 2020 6th Rd. [PART 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
Then why did you originally say 40 for 3 players? Not that I care, but the fact that you seem to have already known is suspect
I meant four not three, geez Leaf fans are sensitive on this subject. I was under the impression all Leaf fans were excited about paying 11 million for three players and another 7+ to one other, always thought they believed it wouldn’t come back and bite them in the ass.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I meant four not three, geez Leaf fans are sensitive on this subject. I was under the impression all Leaf fans were excited about paying 11 million for three players and another 7+ to one other, always thought they believed it wouldn’t come back and bite them in the ass.
I mean I dont mind having multiple superstars on my team. Its not like they dont deserve what they are being paid

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Win a round or two or three or four.
ctober to the end of the year is free time. Less hitting, more open ice and just overall less physical hockey.
January gets tougher, bump it up some more in February and again in March then set the meter at 11 come playoff time .
The roster assembled in Toronto is strong enough in their own end now. Are you really thinking they suddenly lose a physical presence with the roster they have?

You can spin it anyway you want but the reality is both Matthews and Marner are fantastic players.
Don't get me wrong, Space Umpire is on of the posters who whine and complain about other teams on the board,
This roster is really a cup contender as it's not too soft and doesn't lack depth

W...w... what? I had a stroke reading this. What are you trying to say?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Realistically the finalizing of this trade is going to hang around the 15 pick mark all season. If one asked canes fans would they have taken this at the start of the year. I think it would have been a resounding yes.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I mean I dont mind having multiple superstars on my team. Its not like they dont deserve what they are being paid

You’re right. Every one of them is paid a fair market price. But in the cap era, it’s tough to win a cup without at least one high end guy on a bargain deal. You’ve got zero margin for error filling out the rest of that roster.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Hahaha I love how the leafs options of a pick being worth 11-31st. Most realistically 15-25th is a bigger deal than the sens giving up the lowest lottery odd pick in the draft

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
You’re right. Every one of them is paid a fair market price. But in the cap era, it’s tough to win a cup without at least one high end guy on a bargain deal. You’ve got zero margin for error filling out the rest of that roster.
Thats true. Filling out depth with cheap options is very important to this team. Having prospects on elc's at the cusp ready to step in, like recently graduated contributors in Johnsson Kapanen Moore and Dermott, and soon to be Sandin Liljegren and Bracco, european ufa's (Zaitsev Mikheyev) and vet ufa's willing to take the minimum (Ennis Spezza Shore). Just keep drafting well and keep finding ufa's (but not overpaying them like Zaitsev).

Not to mention, if hypothetically things go in the wrong direction, a piece like Nylander or dare I say Marner would be easily movable and valuable.

Reactions: tucker3434

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Thats true. Filling out depth with cheap options is very important to this team. Having prospects on elc's at the cusp ready to step in, like recently graduated contributors in Johnsson Kapanen Moore and Dermott, and soon to be Sandin Liljegren and Bracco, european ufa's (Zaitsev Mikheyev) and vet ufa's willing to take the minimum (Ennis Spezza Shore). Just keep drafting well and keep finding ufa's (but not overpaying them like Zaitsev).

Not to mention, if hypothetically things go in the wrong direction, a piece like Nylander or dare I say Marner would be easily movable and valuable.

Sure. I think they need to make noise in the playoffs this year, or Dubas will have to answer some pretty difficult questions regarding his roster blueprint. It’s one thing to get knocked out in the ECF, but another to lose in the first round again. There’s only so far you can expect the next batch of Leaf’s ELCs to take you.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
I predict the pick, if transferred to the Hurricanes this year, will fall between 11-31. Next year it could be anywhere! I have now sufficiently added to the debate with my thoughtful and accurate analysis.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Why? They are 14th in the nhl having played 4 more games than TB who only has 2 pts less. That puts the pick right near the 15 pick. Who’s being unrealistic?
You are. The Leaf are not likely to be in the same position all year. We are not yet 30 games in.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
You are. The Leaf are not likely to be in the same position all year. We are not yet 30 games in.
Well I expected them to be a bubble team this year And thus far they have not disappointed. You may think this is unrealistic but so far it has been dead on correct. So the pick may be a very good one in a very deep draft.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Well I expected them to be a bubble team this year And thus far they have not disappointed. You may think this is unrealistic but so far it has been dead on correct. So the pick may be a very good one in a very deep draft.
Your character is purposely a nattering nabobs of negativism when it comes to the Leafs. The pick can be anywhere from 11-31 if Carolina picks. We'll see.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Your character is purposely a nattering nabobs of negativism when it comes to the Leafs. The pick can be anywhere from 11-31. We'll see.
We are discussing the trade and the conversion of it. There is nothing negative about this. The canes are going to get a good pick even if you think it’s unrealistic that it will fall in the 15 range if my belief the leafs are a bubble team come true. This far this has not been off.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
We are discussing the trade and the conversion of it. There is nothing negative about this. The canes are going to get a good pick even if you think it’s unrealistic that it will fall in the 15 range if my belief the leafs are a bubble team come true. This far this has not been off.
The Canes might get the pick. As I said it hasn't been 30 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad