Confirmed Trade: [TOR/CAR] Marleau, 2020 1st Rd. (Top 10 Prot.) & 2020 7th Rd. to CAR for 2020 6th Rd. [PART 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
What more is there to say?

To summarize:

Leaf fans are relieved and are down playing the loss of the 1rst rounder considering it the cost for getting JT.

HF is devastated now unable to gloat over the imminent loss of Marner and are trying to convince us that the first was the beginning of the end and the loss of Marleau would be crippling.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I mean, only thing left on this for now is the waiting game on Marleau to either say "trade release me right f***ing now" (99%) or "f*** it we'll do it live" (1% and staying with Carolina)

Gunnin54

Nov 7, 2012
I mean, only thing left on this for now is the waiting game on Marleau to either say "trade release me right ****ing now" (99%) or "**** it we'll do it live" (1% and staying with Carolina)
He’s coming to to SJ.

Reactions: TopCheese

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
What more is there to say?

To summarize:

Leaf fans are relieved and are down playing the loss of the 1rst rounder considering it the cost for getting JT.

HF is devastated now unable to gloat over the imminent loss of Marner and are trying to convince us that the first was the beginning of the end and the loss of Marleau would be crippling.

What if you lose Marner anyway?

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Then they get 4 1st round picks and have a ton of cap space to fix their D.
They’ll need to fix their forwards too though. Marner is a huge hole and it won’t be plugged with four 1st rounders for at least 5 years. That’s probably the prime window with Tavares.
I think it would be a disaster losing him but I don’t expect it to happen.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
A better way of looking at it is the leafs paid a 1st for two years of Marleau. Adding JT for free to everything is bs.
That is a more negative way of looking at it but it is a bit disingenuous since it was the surprise signing of Tavares that created the problem. You guys are going to spin it however you have to so you can feel good about it, so go nuts. I'll try to cry myself to sleep later.

Why are you so concerned about who cost us the 1rst rounder? Will it make your food taste better if we blame Marleau? If so I will be happy to blame him for you.

Reactions: dirty stanchion

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
That is a more negative way of looking at it but it is a bit disingenuous since it was the surprise signing of Tavares that created the problem. You guys are going to spin it however you have to so you can feel good about it, so go nuts. I'll try to cry myself to sleep later.

Why are you so concerned about who cost us the 1rst rounder? Will it make your food taste better if we blame Marleau? If so I will be happy to blame him for you.
Lol.

Anyways if the outcome here is we have to pay a first rounder to have the cap space for Marner I'm fine with it. Considering the other elite talent on the roster Marleau won't be missed, the first rounder while important is certainly worth less than Marner and it appears both Kap and Johnson should both be able to fit in as well. Seems like a decent price to pay but I get the "Leafs have to lose" mentality of HF.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Lol.

Anyways if the outcome here is we have to pay a first rounder to have the cap space for Marner I'm fine with it. Considering the other elite talent on the roster Marleau won't be missed, the first rounder while important is certainly worth less than Marner and it appears both Kap and Johnson should both be able to fit in as well. Seems like a decent price to pay but I get the "Leafs have to lose" mentality of HF.
I think 99% of Leafs nation is good with it. It's the rest of HF that seems obsessed with it.

Reactions: jasonleaffan

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
HF;
No team is going to help Toronto with their cap issues!

Also HF;
You gave up a 1st to get someone off your roster!?

Losing the 1st was crappy. But if it means keeping guys like Kapanen and Johnsson..... in the long run it's not bad.

Had we traded Johnsson for a 2nd and Kapanen packaged for a meh Dman. Most would chalk it up as a good day.... Dubas took a less travelled route to ensure his core remains.

Reactions: dirty stanchion

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
I think we can all agree it sucks to lose a 1st round pick just to dump a player. I thought for sure they'd be able to make that happen without having to give up something that valuable. But what's done is done so let's just move on people. With their young core about to be entirely locked up for the foreseeable future, their cap problems are essentially over now so it's not all doom and gloom. They'll obviously need tweaks here and there every year, but we've got a roster that's primed to compete for a cup for the next 5 years.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
I think 99% of Leafs nation is good with it. It's the rest of HF that seems obsessed with it.
Honestly it will be nice to see Marleau in SJ again. While I obviously wanted to see him win a cup here, he'll always be a shark and it will be nice to see him retire as one. Furthermore SJ is a good team. They could be back in the finals again. The west seems like a crap shoot every year and it wouldn't surprise me to see them go deep.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
HF;

Also HF;

Losing the 1st was crappy. But if it means keeping guys like Kapanen and Johnsson..... in the long run it's not bad.

Had we traded Johnsson for a 2nd and Kapanen packaged for a meh Dman. Most would chalk it up as a good day.... Dubas took a less travelled route to ensure his core remains.
I think many posters said that the third year of the Marleau contract could be a problem when it was signed while many Leaf fans (not all) said it could easily be moved or he’d retire.
The Leafs aren’t the only team to be burnt by signing an older player to a longer contract but it is a good lesson for teams going forward.
It looks like GMs are slowly learning.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
These contract negotiations will no doubt make TOR worse on paper next season. We also have 2 pretty key players (not superstars) in Dermott and Hyman out with major injuries. There's no guarantee they will bounce back 100%. Having to throw so many financial efforts towards Marner will no doubt keep TOR from improving: PK, toughness, defensemen, back up goalie, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
In 2014, 36 year old Jarome Iginla was coming off a 30 goal, 61 point season. He signed for 7.73% of the cap for 3 years.

In 2017, 37 year old Patrick Marleau was coming off a 27 goal, 46 point season. He signed for 8.33% of the cap for 3 years.

Honestly, it bothers me that Lou ever signed that Marleau contract. It was a ridiculous overpayment at the time that pretty much forced everybody's hand. Marleau had to take that contract; he was never going to turn it down when market value was more like the $5M/2Y that the Sharks offered him. San Jose was never going to match it; $6.25M/3Y was ridiculous for a player of his age and caliber.

And now, 2 years later, it pretty much forced Toronto to trade away a first round pick to get rid of him. They didn't have any other choice. What a stupid contract.

How much do you want to bet that Lamoirello offers another stupid contract to Joe Pavelski on July 1st?

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
HF;

Also HF;

I’m not sure anyone said no one would helpToronto, just that Toronto wouldn’t be able to get out of cap hell easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad