Confirmed Trade: [TOR/CAR] Marleau, 2020 1st Rd. (Top 10 Prot.) & 2020 7th Rd. to CAR for 2020 6th Rd. [PART 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I dont think there are many scenario's where this is a loss for the leafs. Absolute worst case is they finish with the 11th pick and the draft ends up being extremely deep and carolina gets a Dobson type pick at 11. But that is beyond extremely unlikely. It would have to be a pretty extreme case to make this regrettable for the leafs. At the time this was a no brainer as Johnsson and Kapanen are far more important than a presumed 20+ pick
The absolute worst case is Toronto handing Carolina the First OA pick in 2021.

Reactions: AndreiThreeK

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
well I did a draft simulation and the leafs won the lottery. So I guess we get the first overall?

Or do fictional scenarios that are based in fantasy only matter when it is worst case for Toronto?
Speaking of hypotheticals since you brought that up. That might happen next year though if the pick is deferred to next year. Then it would be an even better trade for the Canes. A home run.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I dont think there are many scenario's where this is a loss for the leafs. Absolute worst case is they finish with the 11th pick and the draft ends up being extremely deep and carolina gets a Dobson type pick at 11. But that is beyond extremely unlikely. It would have to be a pretty extreme case to make this regrettable for the leafs. At the time this was a no brainer as Johnsson and Kapanen are far more important than a presumed 20+ pick

Leafs drafted Liljegren 17th and I keep hearing he is going to be a top 4D so why can't the Canes hit with a 10-15 range pick?

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Speaking of hypotheticals since you brought that up. That might happen next year though if the pick is deferred to next year. Then it would be an even better trade for the Canes. A home run.
Yes, it has been stated many times in this thread. If the Canes get the pick this year it will be between 11-31, next year there are no protections it could be between 1-31.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The whole world is. Canes get the 2021 #1OA and then the Leafs have to relocate to Albuquerque. Just a matter of time
Its not that inconceivable that the pick may be even better next year for the canes. Leafs have cap problems and they may be making more changes. Its a badly constructed roster. It may be even more problematic so this deal may not reach its conclusion this year. Not a bad deal by waddell to get such a valuable asset for just 1 year of marleau’s salary.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
This is an ongoing trade thread where the condition has not been met. I am sure canes fans are interested in keeping an eye on where the 1st rd pick will end up. Last night it ended up at #11. It is worth noting. If you are not interested in this trade and its conclusion you can ignore it. But I am, since this draft is going to be stacked and the canes have a great chance of drafting a very good player at the 33 game mark.

Are you sure that canes fans are interested? It seems like the only person who is interested is you?

Not interested in where the sharks will end up? Ottawa actually has a chance to pick top 10 on this draft with that pick.

not an interesting story? Wonder why?

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Are you sure that canes fans are interested? It seems like the only person who is interested is you?

Not interested in where the sharks will end up? Ottawa actually has a chance to pick top 10 on this draft with that pick.

not an interesting story? Wonder why?

I'm interested as a Canes fan. I'm hoping Askarov drops to the Canes at #11-15.

It is possible to block a thread if it bothers you.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Why is this so hard to understand?

The Leafs DO NOT have the option to defer the pick. If it falls 1-10, CAR gets the 2021 pick, If it falls 11-31, it AUTOMATICALLY belongs to CAR, not rocket science.

I think the Leafs can just give up a top 10 pick if they feel they will tank harder next year. Not saying that is happening.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I'm interested as a Canes fan. I'm hoping Askarov drops to the Canes at #11-15.

It is possible to block a thread if it bothers you.
I would not put it out of the realm that Askarov or another very good prospect dropping to 11-15 which looks like a realistic probability this year. Every draft has droppers that should have been picked earlier. Dobson is a player that comes to mind. Askarov is a good possibility. Good post.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Why is this so hard to understand?

The Leafs DO NOT have the option to defer the pick. If it falls 1-10, CAR gets the 2021 pick, If it falls 11-31, it AUTOMATICALLY belongs to CAR, not rocket science.

it all depends on the 'draft lottery' ...if they finish in 11th spot, that doesnt mean it's going to be the 11th pick. (i should have been more clear)

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I would not put it out of the realm that Askarov or another very good prospect dropping to 11-15 which looks like a realistic probability this year. Every draft has droppers that should have been picked earlier. Dobson is a player that comes to mind. Askarov is a good possibility. Good post.

Podkolzin was a lock for top-5. Caufield was a lock for top-10. Many though that Spencer Knight would go top-10. Askarov looks amazing but he is 1) a goalie and 2) Russian playing in Russia which creates twice the volatility.

In any case the 11-20 range is looking great. Holloway, Gunler, Zary, Lundell, Amirov, Mysak, Borque, Mercer, Perreault, etc. Deep in forward talent that could have gone 5-10 in an average year.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
it all depends on the 'draft lottery' ...if they finish in 11th spot, that doesnt mean it's going to be the 11th pick. (i should have been more clear)

Right, they could finish 10th, have a team or 2 jump them in the lottery and end up w/ 11OA, which would then belong to CAR.

Edit-I am not really expecting TOR to miss the playoffs though, so I think the pick will end up in the 17-25 range, that's fine too.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I think the Leafs can just give up a top 10 pick if they feel they will tank harder next year. Not saying that is happening.
No. The terms are set, and once the condition clears, if it is a top 10 pick, the 2021 1st pick will at that time be transferred to the Canes. If TML makes it to the playoffs, 2020 1st will be transferred to CAR at that moment, otherwise we'll have to wait until the lottery and the pick whichever it will be will be transferred at that moment.

If TML felt like giving the 2020 top 10 instead of 2021 1st, TML would have to try trade the 2020 to CAR for 2021, and CAR can decline.

While waiting for the regular season end/lottery for the condition to clear out, CAR can trade the encumbered-to-them TML conditional 2020 1st to someone else with the same condition, and it will be transferred to that third party unless the condition kicks in.

TML has no active option to alter the terms of the trade and no further say on which pick will be transferred.

Last edited:

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
No. The terms are set, and once the condition clears, if it is a top 10 pick, the 2021 1st pick will at that time be transferred to the Canes.

If TML felt like giving the 2020 1 st instead, TML would have to try trade the 2020 to CAR for 2021, and CAR can decline.

While waiting for the regular season end/lottery for the condition to clear out, CAR can trade the encumbered-to-them TML conditional 2020 1st to someone else with the same condition, and it will be transferred to that third party unless the condition kicks in.

TML has no active option to alter the terms of the trade and no further say on which picks will be transferred.

Great trade by the Leafs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad